Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Ursula K. Le Guin

Author Topic: Ursula K. Le Guin
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
What do you think of Ursula Le Guin. It was her work that first inspired me as a boy.
Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
The only work I have read was Earthsea books. They are quite good. More than good. Extremely good. (Yes that is words I want).
I saw the Sci-Fi Channel mini series I thought they were all right. It had been a few years now and I barely recall much about the books. Other than I could not stop reading them.
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the first Earthsea book. It was pretty good. Enough to read the next one eventually.

Matt

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mommiller
Member # 3285

- posted      Profile for mommiller   Email mommiller         Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely love her.

Read more books of hers than I can off hand name. Just finished, "Voices," the second of her new series. I've read Earthsea, plus the two additional books in that series a number of times as well as most of her short story collections. She truly is a grand master of the form.

What the Sci-Fi channel did to the Earthsea series was horrible, she's even spoken out against the travesty they produced on her website.

She can treat a subject matter with a delicacy that is just majestic. I just love her subtlety of character. "Tombs of Atuan," the second of the Earthsea trilogy is one of my favorites, followed by the, "Dispossessed."

Enough gushing, why do you ask?

Posts: 306 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, because I think she's brilliant. Just wondered what others thought.

Yeah I refused to watch that Sci-Fi channel version of her story. I heard it was bad before it aired.

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
There is now a Goro Miyazaki version "Gedo Senki," or "Tales From Earthsea,"
Don’t know much about it. It wont be coming to the states any time soon.
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed some of her stuff---but the closer her work seemed to get to the "New York Literary Establishment," the less I enjoyed it.

As I recall, I started off with a collection, "The Wind's Twelve Quarters," then picked up the Earthsea trilogy (there were only three of them in those days), then later on ran through most of her then-published stuff.

My favorite book of hers wasn't SF or fantasy, but a short novel (or novella) that was basically an account of an adolescent boy and his first romance. I'd name it, but I can't remember what it is---my copy is somewhere in a box in my garage.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, I've only read Changing Planes. That's because I fall for anything that involves a multiverse.

I also having Steering The Craft on the shelf. It's obvious, I need to take it down more and do some of the exercises in it.

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 4638

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
My dad loves her, so I have piles of her books lying around my house, and I've tried to get into every one of them, and I never could. They all take place in some other world with so many new names and complicated things, it was so tiring to try to read them.

I liked Earthsea at age 10, but I don't think I'd like it again if I reread it. Thinking back, it didn't seem to have any point -- it was just some random story.

Posts: 46 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OMAGAOFTHEALPHA
Member # 5163

- posted      Profile for OMAGAOFTHEALPHA   Email OMAGAOFTHEALPHA         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yes, Earthsea. Those were good books. That was another reason I started writing.
OMAGAOFTHEALPHA

Posts: 26 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
priscillabgoo
Member # 4777

- posted      Profile for priscillabgoo   Email priscillabgoo         Edit/Delete Post 
She was definitely an inspiration for me. I reread the Earthsea books a few years ago when Tehanu came out. I still enjoyed them. They do have a point, but I think they are stronger collectively than as individual books, in other words, they are a true trilogy. Check out some of her "adult" work like the Left Hand of Darkness or her short stories. She has a way with language that will stay with you.
Posts: 63 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I consider her the line between literary and genre. I love her, she has a voice that is solid and flowing. And while I get the idea that an english professor would enjoy her work, I still think she is accesible. (she is the only sci-fi writer that most of them have heard of.) The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas is one of the most painful stoiries I've read.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.