Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » My first accomplishement: I am exhausted

Author Topic: My first accomplishement: I am exhausted
Dubshack
Member # 5262

- posted      Profile for Dubshack   Email Dubshack         Edit/Delete Post 
Four days. 30,000 words. I'm done.

The first completed rough draft of Dark Ascendance is complete. It rings in at about 90,720 words.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

I am physically exhausted, and I smell a little, but I have never felt so accomplished in my life. I've never felt so affected. It's probably retarded to say, but I actually cried writing the final chapter. Its a funeral scene, so it is kind of sad, but the main characters all come full circle in a way that I still cannot believe. And everything I was worried about, with trying to fit in a whole universe of concepts but still make it a character story, and have it be the first part of a trilogy while standing on its own... That all took care of itself on its own. I think this book affected me more than I did it.

Next: Tear it apart, chapter by chapter, analyze it, throw things out, add some things, rewrite some things. Make it better.

Anyone else have that experience with their first work?

Posts: 26 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds a bit like you just gave birth, all the way up to the part where the next step is to tear it apart.

Good job.

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mommiller
Member # 3285

- posted      Profile for mommiller   Email mommiller         Edit/Delete Post 
Had it with my first Na No.

A sense of accomplishment, and then relief...followed closely by a sort of, "now what?"

Congratulations.

My best advice I have to give you is to leave it alone for a while before approaching it again.

Posts: 306 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dubshack
Member # 5262

- posted      Profile for Dubshack   Email Dubshack         Edit/Delete Post 
That's funny, that's exactly what I was thinking... Like maybe read a book, watch some tv, weed my yard... Come back to it in like a week or two. Or is that too soon? How long do you let a first draft sit before you tear it open?
Posts: 26 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Dubshack. That's quite an accomplishment.
Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mfreivald
Member # 3413

- posted      Profile for mfreivald   Email mfreivald         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Dubshack.

Enjoy the moment, and get to work!

Posts: 394 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice going! You should let it "ferment" for a couple of weeks to a couple of months. You will get a feeling for when to go back and look at it with a view to changes because it will be on your mind and your subconscious will "play" with it and you will begin to have new ideas and insights as to how to revise certain passages. Give it a few weeks, at the very least.

[This message has been edited by nitewriter (edited April 10, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by nitewriter (edited April 10, 2007).]

Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kazuo
Member # 5374

- posted      Profile for Kazuo   Email Kazuo         Edit/Delete Post 
And I thought my current 1500 a day was a reasonable achievment. Hats off!
Posts: 15 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mommiller
Member # 3285

quote:
How long do you let a first draft sit before you tear it open?

I'd have to say, at least a week, for a short story, which is what I am currently working on. Perhaps, a month or longer for a novel. Immerse yourself into some other activity and pick up a couple of really good novels to read in the interim. My reading has helped my writing tremendously.

You want to crack it open with fresh eyes so you can give your own writing a very critical review. Rewrite it, then pass it on to your crit group.

Good luck.

Posts: 306 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I've stuck with five hundred words, mostly...I got up to a thousand words last Thursday and Friday, then took the weekend off for Easter, and also to celebrate finishing something.

I've recently---well, in the past several years---joined the "sit and ferment" school of thought. How soon I get back to them depends on how much I like them. I've got a novella I finished in February I'll probably start working on within the week...but the story I just finished will probably sit in my files a little longer. (I've got some that have been there for years now, though...one story I like very much but it waits on substitution for a single scene I've come to dislike. Yeah, I talked it out here about a year ago.)

Besides that, there's still fresh work to do...more of a novel, other short stories, the usual...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats. I just recently reached the same milestone, although it took me an extra 47,000 words.

On my last day I got a bit over 3000 words, which is still my personal best for a single day. I can't imagine doing what you did the last couple days.

I let mine sit for a month, and have just recently started reading it. It's pretty bad, but not completely unfixable. Is it pretty common to want to wretch when going through a draft novel the first time, I wonder?

Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mommiller
Member # 3285

quote:
Is it pretty common to want to wretch when going through a draft novel the first time, I wonder?

No, not at all. However I do find printing out a copy of my first drafts and running them through a shredder rather satisfying at times...

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I am destiny
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!!! I know how you feel. My last pregnancy I had a HUGE burst of creativity and wrote almost 7 books in the 9 months and the few before that. I wrote 6 1/2 books w/ an average of 80,000-110,000 words each. There was a few days in the middle where I would type all day 17 words across, 60 lines and 15-20 pages a day. That is aprox. 1,800 words a day WOW! Blink, blink. It honestly is one of my best sections because I felt it was definately inspired.
Destiny...

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

- posted      Profile for CoriSCapnSkip           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, and geez, you guys. Any day I write any words is a good day.
Posts: 283 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
Euphoria...

Relief...

Emptiness...

Wandering around aimlessly wondering what to do next...

That's how I usually feel after finishing a story/novel. For a couple of days anyhow.

Like others have said though, leave it a while, write something else before going back to it - wait a few weeks. Congrats anyhow!

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thecox
Member # 4713

- posted      Profile for thecox   Email thecox         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! I think I'm in the same boat as the people saying they're lucky if they write anything in a day, much less complete a story. Maybe I just don't have enough invested in my characters...Oh well, give it a couple weeks and good luck!
Posts: 22 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.