Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » submission format

Author Topic: submission format
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
I am getting ready to enter a novel in a contest. The rules stipulate page numbering, length, topic, etc., but nothing about leaving the sheets loose or bound. For my writers group, I always throw what I'm working on in a three ring binder with a clipart cover, which amuses me and gives me yet another delaying tactic when I'm stuck on what to write next - "Gee, I really need to download clipart for the notebook before I can hack out that next chapter!"

So, my question is, how do YOU submit novel length stuff? loose in a box, or clipped together somehow, or three hole punched with something colorful on the front page, or strapped to a penguin, or what? I don't want to get real complicated, but what makes it easier for the readers, and the clerks who will probably be stuck copying and distributing it to the judges?

any input would be appreciated!

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never submitted a novel--but, I doubt three-hole punch wouldn't get your story anywhere but rejected. A large envelope would seem to be the way to go. There are many kinds of many purposes, some suited for a novel. Besides, doesn't the contest have guidlines stating how they want it?
Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
The traditional way was "loose in a box." Used to be you got your quality typing paper in a box, and that would do nicely---nowadays the printout paper most people use comes wrapped in paper or plastic.

You should be able to buy a suitable box at the big office supply stores---I haven't looked, and I have a lengthy list of things you should be able to buy at these places, but can't.

(You shouldn't send a novel MS in an envelope alone---it'd get too battered in the mail stream.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

they have lots of guidelines about formatting, none about how to corral the pages and keep them neat. does loose in a box seem to be the popular vote?
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
It isn't a matter of what's popular, it's a matter of "professional behavior" (what publishers and editors expect).

Do not staple manuscripts. Do not put them in any kind of binding or punch them with any kind of hole punch.

If they aren't too thick, you can paperclip (or binder clip) them.

If they are too thick, putting them in a box is best.

Or you can encase them in manila file folders, overlapping with one inverted so that there is manila folder all the way around--looks sort of like this end on:

[=]

and then put thick elastics around the folders to keep it all together in a big envelope.

Edited to add: of course, if there are submission instructions given to you, they trump all of the above.

Always do exactly as the submission instructions tell you to do. If you do otherwise, you give them an excuse to reject or disqualify your submission.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited June 10, 2007).]

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
You might check your Post Office. They have many different boxes available.
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

thanks, Kathleen. Yours was the knowledge I was looking for. I appreciate it!
deb

Jim Rage
Member # 5045

- posted      Profile for Jim Rage           Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps this will help...

http://www.writersstore.com/product.php?products_id=1176&categories_id=0

Posts: 14 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

thanks, Jim!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.