Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Title dilemma

Author Topic: Title dilemma
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a recently rewritten novel that I need a title for. Originally, I called it Soul Searcher for two reasons.

One: the spaceship involved in the story is called Soul Searcher.

Two: the story is about a group of people searching for a missing man.

After a lot of thought, I decided I wanted to change it, but can't think of anything else I like apart from Amphora or Ampulla because the man they are looking for is a 'vessel' for some very importnat information which is the basis of the series, but I'm not sure - without the explanation just given - that people will figure that's why I titled it either one of those.

I like Amphora better, but would go with something else that means 'vessel' but I can't find a suitible word that fits or sounds right.

Any suggestions would be apreciated. I'd like to post my first thirteen for this but would like to have a title first.

Thanks.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
Wessel? "We are looking for the nuclear wessels." Receptacle?

Latin words for vessel:
http://www.archives.nd.edu/cgi-bin/lookdown.pl?vessel

I think if you want it to be a ship name, it might be good to stick one of those fleet designation acronyms on it. G.M.S. Soul Searcher or something.

[This message has been edited by franc li (edited June 15, 2007).]

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
The Vessel sounds fine.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

Whereas U.S.S. Vessel sounds a little surreal. Possibly like some kind of parody. It would be helmed, of course, by Capn. Mycaptain.
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the word "vessel" and The Vessel is fine but also very strong. Almost James Patterson in its simplicity.

I personally kinda like Prosaic titles.

(ADJ) Vessel would be more to my taste with the adjective describing the process/place/whatever of how the characters relate to the vessel. Maybe Soul Vessel

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I suggested The Vessel because of the voyage and the man, and how you were searching for a title that said the vessel in some form.Why not keep it simple? If it has multiple meaning, more power to it.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Prosaic titles.

Prozac titles?

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think he meant "vessel" in the sense of a ship. I thought "vessel" in the sense of a container.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

...or a conduit.

darklight
Member # 5213

I did consider The Vessel but I wanted something to go with it. The <something> Vessel to indicate a human, a person, something biological but again, was not satisfied with the alternitives.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Mortal Vessel

Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
prosaic

pro·sa·ic (prō-zā'ĭk) pronunciation
adj.

1. Consisting or characteristic of prose.
2. Matter-of-fact; straightforward.
2. Lacking in imagination and spirit; dull.

I like titles that hint about the story's plot. Its a little "dull" some times but that's just the pragmatist in me I suppose.

[This message has been edited by Matt Lust (edited June 16, 2007).]

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

IB I really like that idea - thanks.

quote:
I didn't think She meant "vessel" in the sense of a ship. I thought "vessel" in the sense of a container.

But I've been called worse

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

When you post here under an assumed name, you've gotta assume some risk. Besides, when I use "he" or "his," it included "she" and "her"---when I speak of man, I speak of woman, embracing man.
Mauvemuse
Member # 5488

- posted      Profile for Mauvemuse   Email Mauvemuse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
After a lot of thought, I decided I wanted to change it, but can't think of anything else I like apart from Amphora or Ampulla because the man they are looking for is a 'vessel' for some very importnat information which is the basis of the series, but I'm not sure - without the explanation just given - that people will figure that's why I titled it either one of those.

It seems like people have settled on The Vessel, but I like Amphora also. Ampulla, not so much. It makes me picture an amputated squid *shrug*.

Just editing because I learned how to quote. Yay.

[This message has been edited by Mauvemuse (edited June 17, 2007).]

Posts: 39 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunshine
Member # 3701

- posted      Profile for Sunshine   Email Sunshine         Edit/Delete Post 
Vessels are containers (or conduits, depending on the context). This could be human in the sense of the character the OP was discussing, or non-human (a ship). Vessel could have multiple contexts from the sound of the OP's WiP, thus giving the title more depth and interest. For example, (just specultating since I haven't read the piece), the reader could perceive the ship Soul Searcher as the vessel, but then connect it later to other meanings such as the individual who is a vessel. I like when titles have multiple contexts like this; it adds interest to the story as I read it and try to put the pieces together.

In french: vessel is vaisseau, and spaceship is vaisseau spatial.

Posts: 90 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
soul catcher? like dream catcher/sun catcher?
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
Any title should convey what the story was about. I had a hard time naming my novel until I stood back and asked what it was really about. It's about the search for an ancient book called ,the Book of the Dragons.

Naturally, I'm calling it The Search for Peace Admist the Times of Trials.

Just kidding of course.

Matt

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
Amphora is hard on my tongue for some reason, Ampulla makes me think of an ampule.

Vessel feels a little pretentious.

Might wanna consider building the title off the protag's name with a journey or voyage synonym.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

The problem I have is I either think of a good title immediatley, or struggle with it for ages. This one has really got me stumped.

I like titles that have more than one meaning, which is why I went down the vessel route. I think the problem is since I re-wrote the story, some of it has changed and there's a new story line. Another large part of the story is that the MC and the man he searches for have both been used by lots of people.

I often take a line from the novel and use that as the title, EG: The world, like a ball of wool.

Heck, I don't know what I'm going to call it.

<pulls hair out>

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I like the idea of multiple meanings in a title. I remember thinking Tim Powers's "The Drawing of the Dark" was a good title for a fantasy...but, when I settled down and read it, found it meant something not usual for the field.
franc li
Member # 3850

Did Charon's boat have a name? The one he ferried souls to Hades in? Just wondering. Probably The Lucky Mermaid.
Alye
Member # 5017

- posted      Profile for Alye   Email Alye         Edit/Delete Post 

cymbiformis = Charon's boat

Latin, means boat or vessel. Commonly used to describe Botanicals. ie: Haworthia cymbiformis http://www.mzephotos.com/gallery/cacti/haworthia-flowers.html

Posts: 126 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

there is a site called omniglot on which you can look up words in hundreds of different languages. Maybe something there will spark you. And if you just have writer's block, you can spend hours pretending you are doing really important story research there.

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited June 19, 2007).]

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

Because I'm fed up of spending half my waking day trying to find a title for this thing, I've got some chioces.

1. Silver Bullet.

2. Jamie.

3. Merchandise.

4. Legacy.

All are connected to the story.

Silver bullet can have two meanings. Its a spaceship, though not an important one, and becuase of Silverman who helps my protagonist.

Jamie is the man they are searching for.

Merchandise because in the end that's all my protagonist is to the other MC.

Legacy because it was what happened in the past that drove some of the characters to do what they did.

So that's it. Any thoughts?

debhoag
Member # 5493

Silver Bullet. - too stephen king

2. Jamie. too blah

3. Merchandise. too plain

4. Legacy. - halfway there - combine it with another word to give it some spin? Legacy Chronicles, the Amphora Legacy? What's your MC's name? or the guy he's looking for?

Sunshine
Member # 3701

I liked Soul Searcher the best. Have you posted your story yet?
Posts: 90 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

Sunshine: Have I posted my story yet? I think I'm making every excuse possible not to post it!

It's been ready for several weeks, but I keep coming up with reason why not to post the first thirteen. The latest one is that I've found a problem with the first paragraph of the first thirteen and I need to change it. But I aim to post it the beginning of next week (when I've finshed the project I'm working on now).

As for the title: I'm just going to stop obsessing over it for now.

Sunshine
Member # 3701

You're the chef, but if it's any help I was very intrigued with your posts and look forward to seeing it.
MotherSky
Member # 5534

- posted      Profile for MotherSky   Email MotherSky         Edit/Delete Post 
I like "The Vessel." It has something intriguing to it, and it seems like theres so much more to a book that would be titled that than meets the eyes.

It seems. . .Ethereal, mysterious. I like it a lot.

Just my thoughts.

Peace~

Posts: 13 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
houstoncarr72
Member # 5544

- posted      Profile for houstoncarr72   Email houstoncarr72         Edit/Delete Post 
We could probably suggest titles that are more apt once we've read your story.
Posts: 7 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

I have now finshed the novel I was working on. I have a short story to read and comment on, then I will post the first thirteen of this story. I will give it the working title of The Vessel for now but that may not stay.

Thanks for all help, advice, comments.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.