Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Question about re-written novel.

Author Topic: Question about re-written novel.
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
I've just finished a re-write of my YA novel, trimmed about thirty-five thousand words off it. My question is, about two-three months ago, I submitted this novel to a publisher. I haven't heard back from them yet - they said it could take several months.

Should I write them a short letter explaining I have now re-writen it and would they like me to re-submit a sample chapter.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
my off-the-cuff response is it would not hurt to call and just see where your submission is - do they notify if it has been rejected?
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Heinlein says, Never rewrite except at an editor's specific request.

Bad advice, but my own rule is never rewrite between submission and response. If you do, and the story is accepted, then you are up the creek. If you just cash the check, then the version that appears in print isn't really the version you want. If you send the rewrite to the editor, you risk rejection of a story that has already been accepted if he doesn't like the rewrite. And, even if he likes the rewrite, you give him the impression that you are wasting his time with first drafts.

But, what is done is done, so a follow up may be in order. I assume you included a SSAE with your submission, so unless they are one of those publishers who say they only respond on stories they accept, you should hear from the soon. Two months is not a long response time for book publishers. I would guess two to four months is average.

Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
My first question is, if you've trimmed thirty five thousand words off of your YA novel, how long was it to start with? Most YA fiction generally stays below seventy thousand words, and thirty five thousand words is a super-significant revision. In my opinion, let the publisher know about the changes you've made, and how significant they are. If you're able to trim that amount of words off and still have a workable YA novel, my guess is that your oroiginal MS is bloated and overstuffed.

Also, as an added bit of advice, remember to thoroughly edit (multiple times is good) before you send your MS off to a publisher/agent. The fact that you nixed thirty five thousand words (sorry I keep italicizing that, but it bloody astounds me) tells me that you didn't edit very thoroughly, probably little more than a spelling and grammar check.

Jayson Merryfield

[This message has been edited by Wolfe_boy (edited June 25, 2007).]

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

They say they might not reply but I always send a SSAE so I hope they will if they want it or not.

Jayson. It was at 101,000. The reason I editted so much out was because of advice given at Hatrack. It's now at 66,000. I basically cut each and every scene by one third - condensed it if you like. It meant cutting out a lot of narative, so I'm hoping there's not too much dialogue now.

I was happy with it as it was - I'd edited three or four times - but wanted to make it more desirable to an editor. One less reason to reject without even looking at it.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
If an publisher says they may not reply, then they should give an "assume rejection by" date. If not, I wouldn't submit to them. Given that you've already submitted, I suggest a letter with an SSAE asking the status of the submission. Wait two weeks, then send a letter withdrawing the story and submit it elsewhere.

Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, it's pretty rude that they may not reply at all.

Did they happen to give an "assume rejection by" date?

Once you've submitted something, it's done, IMHO. You can send a query asking what the status is but I think it would look very bad to a publisher if you told them you had done a huge rewrite after submission. That would tell me that you weren't finished before you sent it off and I would question whether you were finished now. You should always send a clean, finished draft to a publisher.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of rude, I think it's unwise to claim Heinlein's advice bad until you have something resembling half the man's success. If you disagree with the rule, you don't understand what he means.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
Go Spaceman! You are my hero for the rest of the day

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited June 27, 2007).]

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wow, it's pretty rude that they may not reply at all.

Unfortunately, I'm seeing a lot of agents using this technique of "no answer unless we like it," rude though it be. It could be worse, though. They could be saying, "No answer unless we like it and no simultaneous submissions." Yikes!

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I like Heinlein---where science fiction and I first met, at least in a way that mattered---but, over the years, I've found that in a certain number of areas Heinlein, er, shoveled it with both hands. I gather when he finished his rough draft he revised (and usually cut) and then sent it on to market.

I'd be disinclined to submit something to a market that won't send a rejected MS or query back, even (and especially) with a stamped and self-addressed envelope to do it with.

But two or three months doesn't seem terribly long. Most of the market reports I used to read listed how long the publishers generally took. If it went on much longer than that, say, double the time, I made a polite inquiry. With novels, I only had to do this once, after a whole year had passed. (With short stories, I've had several MSS disappear into the void---and, after all these years working for the USPS, I'm surprised that so few disappeared, not so many.)

(Also, long as the MS is out there, and not back in my hand, I can carry the illusion around that I may have sold something. It's not much, but, so far, it's all I've got.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

I just re-read the submission guidelines for this particular publisher. It says: A response cannot be guaranteed but we try to respond to all submissions within a month...

I guess I'm not hearing from them then.

ArachneWeave
Member # 5469

- posted      Profile for ArachneWeave   Email ArachneWeave         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't assume they aren't going to respond, just because they've gone over their stated response average. Have you seen anything on the way things get in those offices?

Don't query about revisions, in general. (For the same reason; they're generally swamped.) I'm sure if you knew the revision was necessary, the editor will see it, too. If he mentions it, you're ahead of the game. If it was really necessary, you probably will be getting a rejection soon. X-/
If that's the case, start sending the revised ms to some other publishers/agents. Resubmit (if their guidelines don't state not to) if nothing else pans out, with the improved version.

{This response culled from much reading, not personal experience. ^_^}

Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't assume they aren't going to respond and DON'T pester them about the status of the submission. If they said it will take several months, let it. Calling or emailing is a good way to end up rejected,

Let that one work its way through the system. If they are interested, you can always tell them you've revised it.

Did you send them a full? Or just a query and synopsis?

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
Well out of curiousity I looked up Dark Horse's submission guidelines and they no longer ask for SASE because they since july 1, 2002 stopped sending rejection letters.

Dark Horse is not a "huge" publisher but its hardly what I'd call "indie" in size/pocketbook anymore.

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
With short stories, I've had several MSS disappear into the void---and, after all these years working for the USPS, I'm surprised that so few disappeared, not so many.

I've never lost a mailed submission, but you're proof it happens, but I prefer mailing subs since I'm uneasy about losing e-mails to the etherworld -- which to me seems far more likely. At least with a mailed sub, you can include a self-addressed stamped postcard for the recipient to return to you to verify receipt of the mss.

I started to wonder if markets just delete e-mailed subs they don't wish to respond to or keep a record in case writers inquire about them, but keeping them would defeat the purpose of not responding in the first place, wouldn't it? I take it their whole argument is that they're too busy, although hitting a reply button seems an easy thing to do.

I suppose it's a matter of walking a mile in their moccasins.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.