Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Did You write? 06-25-07

Author Topic: Did You write? 06-25-07
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
Did You write? 06-25-07

AS to the question of DID YOU WRITE?, I did edit on a story. Had a full week so did not do much more. In the story I am editing, written by my writing partner Nancy, I had to change the nature of a walk-on character for the short scene he was in. It took some doing to work out the best way to do it. the baby dragons visit with a cat that has an attitude. Getting things right is not easy sometimes. I may change it when I do another pass through.

I skipped a day on my daily story idea posts so I am running one day ahead for the month. I posted several story ideas that I especially enjoyed writing.
Someone gave me a pat on the back by telling me that they took one of my story ideas and am turning it into something completed. My version was about five pages. Their version is about 38 pages. I love the ideas to be developed. I post them for that very reason. I cannot write 365+ novels and novelettes and short stories in a year. It is hard enough to write my 365+ story ideas a year. Well actually it seems to be getting easier as time goes on... My original and continuing intent is that writers take the ideas and develop them, and get rich... I cannot use them so I want to share them. Any time I learn one was developed, I smile. thanks.

This was not a weekend for woodworking. I accomplished little. I have another three legged stool ready for completion. I have some cleanup to do on the legs, then I will assemble it. It looks good. Not perfect but good. I made the first step of making a carving of a baby dragon. I cut out the blank, which is where the rough wood is remove before real carving is started. This is based on a candle figurine I have on top my monitor. I am aiming for something that looks like a baby dragon. If I get that close I will be dancing in the streets. I will be shocked if it looks like the figurine it is based on.
I would love to actually be GOOD at one thing, but I am having too much fun at all the different projects I work on over time.
I sometimes look back at various hobbies I have had and considered what would happen if I did not apply myself to those hobbies, but what I then realize is that most of those other hobbies lead to things I do now. My interest in model railroading lead to my first completed rough draft. it was a story about riding on a train, and everything goes wrong. It turns out to be a fast run.
My writing lead to woodworking. I was working on a novel at my parent's house on weekends, and it dawned on me that my dad was in his eighties and I did not want one of those "I wish I had" situations. I took up wood carving, and later wood turning, just so I could be with him.
I got a computer with the idea of freelancing CAD. I learned that there was something more to computers than drafting. I got hooked on the Bulletin boards, which lead to writing which brings me to where I am now - no life during the week.... <g>
Writing is my most satisfying hobby, except for the bulletin boards. Writing takes up more time which is what one wants from "pastimes." They PASS TIME.

So, for the question of "did you write?" I can say Yes I did.
How about you?

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
Coming off vacation, family obligations, and a minor knee injury, I finally got back in the swing of things. Working on two new shorts, editing an older one, and revising the outline of my draft novel prior to the first big revision.

So, yes, if you mean last week. Not yet but soon if you mean today specifically.

Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
I futzed around with two stories.

1. An attempt at a story from a child's point of view. I liked it, until I realize the only way to end it was sappy and oversentmentailzed. Then I lost my interest (I was at about 2,000 words) and she went back into the virtual file cabinet.

2. More work editing a short story very close to being ready to send out to a few mags. I'm waiting on one more person to give me feedback and then I'll finalize, reread and edit again myself, and toss it in the mail.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Worked on my new 1st draft, while I'm waiting on the rest of the crits to come back. Did one crit. Worked on layout sketches for a couple of paintings...
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, 20,000 words into my novel.
Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I laid off after printing out my last story...at first for a day, then stretched it to a week. But I plan to get back to it by the end of the week---I celebrate June 30th (in private, anyway) as the anniversary of my writing career, being the date on which I started the first story I intended to submit to a magazine. I always celebrate by writing something.

[edited 'cause I left out that last sentence]

[This message has been edited by Robert Nowall (edited June 26, 2007).]

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RPulfer
Member # 5597

- posted      Profile for RPulfer   Email RPulfer         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, new guy here.

I've written a lot now. I just finished the first two pages of my first paying comic book gig, and over the weekend I completed rough character bios to send to the artist (Lord knows, all I can do is stick figures).

I'm also planning to write a few concept pages of a mythic Western novella I'm planning, but even after I get my head around the concept, I have to find time to write the darn thing between two other comics, a memoir and a job search.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hunter
Member # 4991

- posted      Profile for Hunter   Email Hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Lord, RMatthewWare! 20,000 in a day? I'm impressed with myself if I get 2,000. Are your hands smoking?

And no, I didn't write 6/25. I did write 6/26. Actually, I'm working on stuff now. I've REALLY slacked off. Need to get back into the swing of things.

Posts: 83 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I am destiny
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I keep pluging along on my book i'm one capter closer to bieng done.... and have for the first time in my life an article idea for a magazine.
~D
BTW where is the website with the ideas? I'd like to see it... thx

[This message has been edited by I am destiny (edited June 26, 2007).]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
only five thousand pieces of work-related paper and a fearless and searching moral inventory . I'm waiting for a friend to give me back the tail end of a book I just finished so I can final edit. On the plus side, I found Red Prophet at the Book Exchange yesterday.

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited June 26, 2007).]

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
I am destiny,

I post my story ideas on seven forums around the internet. Likely the best place to see the ideas are at the XProdigy forums
http://www.xprodigy.net/board/index.php

You can go down to Writer's Roost or click directly at http://www.xprodigy.net/board/viewforum.php?f=9&sid=9d9d7e1185d2eae771c4cac552489ca5

You will see them with titles such as like, May 2007 Writing ideas or JUne 2007 Writing ideas.
You will also see my Waxy Dragon stories posted there.

The story ideas also have an archived board where my even older posts are kept and that is at http://crafts.xprodigy.net/cgi-bin/cc1/cutecast/cutecast.pl
and got to the Fantasy/Horror/Science Fiction or you can click directly at http://crafts.xprodigy.net/cgi-bin/cc1/cutecast/cutecast.pl?forum=28

The forums I used to post before these started up, have closed down so the older posts than those pointed to are no longer on line.

If you see something interesting to write, go ahead, they are posted to be used. I don't have time to write 365 completed novels each year....

Thanks for asking.

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.