Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Does anyone speak Chinese? Russian?

Author Topic: Does anyone speak Chinese? Russian?
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
I need to know a word that means "Welcome" preferably in a non-character-based alphabet way. Is that even possible?

Links would be fine, I'm sure this is out there somewhere easy.

Thanks!!

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
Well for Chinese (I had 2 semesters and a couple months in country once upon a time)

there is no word like "welcome" in these sense of "you are welcome"

what is usually used in place of you are welcome is most literally translated as "no thanks needed" or "don't thank me"

Also The Chinese also don't really have a true "Welcome!" in the sense of bringing you into their house. Its more of a "Hello, please come in" or a "Hello, won't you please come in"

As for exactly what you need you can google it but it depends.

[This message has been edited by Matt Lust (edited July 11, 2007).]

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
well i dont know eather languedge but i picked this up here in country. keep in mind i dont realy know how it is spelled

assa daya manonna

thank you in Pashtoon and Darie

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't speak Russian but my own language is one from the Slavic linguistic group, Russian also among them. If you just need something that sounds Slavic, I can help.

In my language 'welcome' is 'dobrodoshli'.

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
Kayti, try omniglot. www.omniglot.com. it is a website for languages, both actual and made up, and i believe you can type in a word and it will give you the translation in the language of your choice. Good luck!
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I was going to say that my favourite auto-translater is Alta Vista's Babel Fish at http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr

It claims to know several languages.

Apparently 'Welcome' in Chinese is »ΆΣ­ ... but I'm not sure if that helps! (I had forgotten you actually wanted chinese characters and was kinda hoping it would use our letters and give something pronouncable but Chinese-sounding. Actually it seems to use Chinese characters but when I copy them into this post they go Greek, or something. Computers!)

In hope of being helpful,
Pat

[This message has been edited by TaleSpinner (edited July 11, 2007).]

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you've downloaded the right typeface, it'll remain gibberish. (When I ego-search my name, I keep running across this page that's ostensibly in Korean---except my name, in Roman characters, is there, right in the middle of it.)

According to the online dictionary I found, "welcome" in Russian (in Roman characters) is dobro pozhalovat. Unless I was looking at the wrong end of the definition...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
I took Russian and Chinese in college. But I don't remember the word for "you're welcome."

In Arabic they say "there is no thanks in doing my duty".

Laa shukr alla wajib.

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grovekeeper
Member # 5650

- posted      Profile for Grovekeeper           Edit/Delete Post 
If you're referring to "Welcome" in the sense of "You're welcome", then the Russian word for it (when transliterated) comes out to something like "Parhzhalooista", although typical informal pronunciation is usually closer to "Parzhal'sta", and the 'r' is almost silent.

Literally, the word means "Please", and is used both when making a request, and in saying you're welcome.

"Kofye s'molokom, parzhal'sta?" (Coffee with milk, please?)
"Da, odna minutka." (Yes, one moment. (Literally, one minute))
"Spaseebah." (Thank you).
"Parzhal'sta". (You're welcome).

Edited because I fell back into using Russian pronunciations of English characters. Oops.

[This message has been edited by Grovekeeper (edited July 12, 2007).]

Posts: 60 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.