Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Need something to cut

Author Topic: Need something to cut
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a job that's been crazy, and I need to blow off a little steam.

I need to blow off steam in a way that doesn't interfere with being a dad or having a job.

I have an underused blog on cutting.

Does anyone have 1000 or so words of text they want me to shred? Send it to cutting.blog@gmail.com.

Regards,
Oliver

[This message has been edited by oliverhouse (edited September 20, 2007).]

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
OK. I'm sending one.

At least, I'm trying to send it on. The link in your post isn't working, so I'm sending to your the email on the profile line.

[This message has been edited by djvdakota (edited July 20, 2007).]

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got one a lot bigger. If you want to get your claws on it, let me know. I'll be glad to send it.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
Good writers are hard to cut, so my first taker presents a serious challenge. And thanks for telling me about the link problem, djvdakota.

IB, feel free to send it. If I get something that's more than 1000 words, I'll assume that you don't care which thousand I choose. In that case, I'll either pick something at random or I'll pick something that illustrates a principle well.

Also, I guess I should have said explicitly that I'd like to post the excerpts that I use. I'm not using full stories for that reason -- 1000 words of a WIP shouldn't be an issue with publication rights, unless the WIP is flash fiction.

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
I can send you a thousand if you're still looking for meat for the grinder.
Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I sent it to your gmail account. It's a beginning, that way it will ring in under 1000 words. Have fun.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
where will you post it?
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Deb, did you see the link to his cutting blog in his initial post? If not, check it out. You may find it useful. I've sent him the first draft of my Pantroth prequel/short story. When he puts it up on his site, you'll see quite a bit of difference...
debhoag
Member # 5493

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I saw it, but he said the link was removed, so I didn't try it. I BELIEVED what I read. Oh. Oops. Silly me.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

J, yes, please send it.

In general, there's no need to ask. Anytime anyone feels like a bit of bloated prose needs a trim, as long as I can blog about it, he or she can send it to cutting.blog@gmail.com. I've also posted some marketing work there, and I'd be open to attacking other types of text, too. No guarantees on how long it will take, of course, and I reserve the right to not do a darned thing.

Unless I'm told otherwise, I'll assume I can work over a sample of 1,000 words from whatever gets sent to me, and publish that section and the cut version to the blog. If I receive a complete story in 1,000 words, I won't blog more than 20-25% of it.

IB, I haven't received it on either my normal oliverhouse email or my cutting.blog email.

Deb, sorry for the confusion. Just goes to show you -- never believe me.

Regards,
Oliver

debhoag
Member # 5493

IB bolded at me - he's being punished by the igits of email. Once he crits some of my stuff that is piling up in his inbox, I'm sure his post will get through!
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

Okay, djvdakota's piece is up. Since it was a flash, and I don't want the work to be considered "published" just because it showed up on my little blog, I'm only posting an extract: 185 words down to 150, or a 19% cut. (It's a really good story, too.) Comments welcome!

Now I'm working on a crit I owe Rick, and then I'll do InarticulateBabbler's intro.

[This message has been edited by oliverhouse (edited July 22, 2007).]

trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
InarticulateBabbler, all-bold is as bad as all-caps. I scroll when people pull stuff like that.

And now, back to our regularly-scheduled thread on cutting, which I initially thought referred to either wood or forearms...

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

Oliver, mine's in the queue. Looking forward to see what you do with it.
Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

trousercuit, I was just being funny - IAB and I tease each other sometimes, and the thing about bolds referred to some previous conversations we've had. I would have cleared that up as soon as I saw your post, but my husband was in the hospital this weekend, and this is the first chance I've had to get online. AS a matter of fact, a few threads ago I was teasing him that writing in bolds was his online version of wearing black leather. He's just too cool for mere mortals. So, say something nice to him now.
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY TO CHARLATANS AND MISCREANTS.

[This message has been edited by trousercuit (edited July 24, 2007).]

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

WHY YES, THIS IS A NEW SCYTHE. WOULD YOU LIKE A DEMONSTRATION?
debhoag
Member # 5493

Sigh. It's nice to see you getting into the spirit of things. I was worried you wouldn't FIT IN!!
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

quote:
WHY YES, THIS IS A NEW SCYTHE. WOULD YOU LIKE A DEMONSTRATION?

LOL... and that's not for the charlatans and miscreants! I'd hate to see what you say to them!

New post: I just cut the intro to InarticulateBabbler's story. 33% cut, from 973 to 654. Comments welcome.

oliverhouse
Member # 3432

I just cut some of J's work. This was a tough one, but I was able to take about 19% out of it. J, let me know if you think I worked it over too hard.

Regards,
Oliver

J
Member # 2197

If the rest of you aren't checking out what oliverhouse is doing on his cutting blog, you should be. It's one of the most useful and educational writing tools I've seen in a long time.

Thanks for working on my piece. I learned a lot.

oliverhouse
Member # 3432

You're welcome, J. Thanks for providing the fodder.

Since I don't update the blog all that often, I've added an RSS feed to it. If you have an RSS reader, you won't have to keep checking back for updates -- the reader will tell you. You can find the link on the site, or, if I do this right, you should be able to subscribe by clicking here.

And I'm open to more submissions. Send text to cutting.blog@gmail.com.

Regards,
Oliver

debhoag
Member # 5493

Oliverhouse, I've just got back the first crit on Alchemy: the Chemist's Story, and there's a large section in the middle that needs cut. If I send the piece and indicate where the material is that I'm talking about, would you? It seems odd to take it out of context and just send a chunk without sending the stuff it sits in, you know?
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

Deb, doing exactly what you just said is fine. As long as I know what I'm cutting, having the rest around for context is a good thing.

I'm not moving very quickly on these, but if you're not in a hurry I'll get to work on it.

JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
I have an opening scene I've been trying to cut some repitious wording out of. Maybe you'd have a go at it. *smiles*
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

I just cut 35% of Deb Hoag's submission. What a whacked out story, and a great voice. I very happily loathe and begrudgingly admire her characters.
debhoag
Member # 5493

Oliverhouse, just picked up my new and improved text from your site, and am chortling all the way to the word processor. Thank you sir, you are a gentleman and a scholar, not to mention that you say nice things about me behind my back. Moira, if you're out there, you've GOT to check this out! Have a good one, Oliverhouse and thanks again!
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

At long last, I got to JeanneT's submission. I had to post in a hurry because she's sending her novel off to someone -- wish her good luck!

Here's the link: I hit 29 percent. As always, the artfulness of the cut is for JeanneT and the readers to decide.

JeanneT
Member # 5709

Great job, Oliver. As I mentioned in my email to you, I ran into a rather baffling problem when I tried to leave a comment on your blog. It seemed to be acting like the comment was on a continuous feed. Not sure if the problem was on my end or not.

Anyway even a few changes I didn't completely agree with gave me something useful. You showed, for instance, that when I referred to the king as "the man" in the middle of the paragraph describing him that it confused the reader since I had referred to the prisoner as "the man." Oops! I hadn't wanted to repeat the phrase "the king" again, but better to repeat that than confuse the reader.

And alliteration? Ouch! No one had ever pointed that out and this passage had been critted several times. Amazing what can slip in without one noticing it. I'll know to watch for that in the future.

Thanks so much! It is a much better passage with your trimming.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited September 06, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As I mentioned in my email to you, I ran into a rather baffling problem when I tried to leave a comment on your blog. It seemed to be acting like the comment was on a continuous feed. Not sure if the problem was on my end or not.

I believe his blog is on Blogger, right? (I usually get to it through RSS feed.) If so, that will happen when cookies are blocked, or perhaps if the cookie for that site is corrupted. It'll loop between two pages over and over again.

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Cookies aren't blocked but pop-ups are. I'll try it with pop-ups not blocked and see if that helps. Thanks.

Edit: I double checked to be sure that I hadn't blocked cookies and forgotten, but they aren't. I tried turning off my pop-up blocker to make sure that wasn't the problem. I have no clue what's happening. Very odd, but it sounds like it's something happening on my end.

Further edit: The culprit was my anti-spyware. It was set not to block cookies but was still interfering somehow. When I turned it off completely the problem went away! Yah.

lehollis
Member # 2883

Glad it works then, JeanneT
Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
WHY SHRED WHEN YOU CAN BURN?

With PROCTORCO latest, PAPER BE GONE. it consisds of a ZIPPO LIGHTER AND A 55GAL DRUM OF MOGAS.

ONLY 16 EASY PAYMENTS OF $88.95.

CALL NOW.

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

Looking for fodder, if anyone doesn't mind having their stuff ripped up online. (I have some travel to do over the next week.) Email submissions to cutting.blog@gmail.com.

debhoag
Member # 5493

Hey, Oliverhouse, you too busy to take a look at something for me? I've got a piece up at Baen's Bar, and have got some consistent crits that the set up is too long. If you're willing, I'd like to send it over for your take.

thanks, either way!

oliverhouse
Member # 3432

Deb, I have one in the queue before you, but send what you have and if I get the chance I'll put it up. Do you have a deadline?
debhoag
Member # 5493

no rush a'tall. I'll send it on by. Keep until you're bored.
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
what no one wants PAPER BE GONE?
that is how we despose of sensitive paperwork, fire fixes anything.
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

Oliverhouse,

I have an action scene I'd like to send (no rush); I want it to be tight as possible. Should I polish it first, or send the rough draft? Which do you prefer?

oliverhouse
Member # 3432

Got it, Deb.

Lehollis, what ever you like is fine with me. I think a tightly written submission will provide us with the biggest benefit: if I can't do anything with it, you're assured that it's at least pretty tight (I don't pretend that someone else couldn't do better than I could), and if I can cut it, then you have new things to look out for in your own writing -- things you wouldn't have noticed on your own. But I don't mind either one.

I have to warn you, I've written very few action scenes. My result may butcher your baby. If you're willing to take the risk, I'm willing to give it a shot.

By the way, Rommel, it's a blog about cutting. I promise, though, that as soon as I start a blog about firing (sounds like a business blog!) or burning, you're first on my list to call.

From a safe distance, of course.

[This message has been edited by oliverhouse (edited September 20, 2007).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.