Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Cheerleaders and Critiquers (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Cheerleaders and Critiquers
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
That's fine, deb. If YOU will stop addressing me, I'll be more than happy to not address you further. There is nothing more to be said in this discussion. I had no intention of posting further in this thread until you had to do some "please don't address me further" stuff. *shrug*

Since you seem to find courtesy such a difficult concept, I would much appreciate your leaving me alone. Believe me, I'll be more than happy to never speak to you again.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited July 27, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeepDreamer
Member # 5337

- posted      Profile for DeepDreamer   Email DeepDreamer         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with hoptoad. There's a time in the writing process when I really need people who encourage me to keep going, people who believe I'm a good writer, regardless of the faults in the story. Those people aren't always the toughest critiquers. They don't need to be. Good critiquers are important too though.

It's not really a matter of which one is more important. It's not a matter of "If you need cheerleaders you must not be a good writer; good writers can succeed without them." Some writers need them, some don't. I'm one of the ones who do. Does that make me a bad writer? No. I just sometimes need someone to re-emphasise my worth as a writer. That's the cheerleader's role - to help me be the best writer I can be. But a critiquer's role is to make sure my writing is the best it can be - to help me make my writing the best it can be.

Sidenote - I wrote fanfic before I started writing my own thing.

Ok, admittedly, it was only 3 and a half chapters of fanfic, but still. Fanfic is a decent way to start out. You get encouragement to continue and finish, it's a good way to get into the writing habit. You can learn from the writing process. Sure, a lot of the comments aren't worth much as critique. But sometimes, especially when first starting out, that's what you need to hear - less criticism, more encouragement just to keep going. Once you turn to writing seriously, with the intent of getting published, that's when you need good, solid constructive criticism the most.

[This message has been edited by DeepDreamer (edited July 27, 2007).]

Posts: 34 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
In order to ignore someone one should not even read their posts, not insist that they stop talking to you. Of course you must forget that they exist too so you don't mention them in your posts. but you shouldn't know if they were. This is something that has been mandated in the past, (The one I remember was, I think, HSO and Survivor, but they said they play nice after that so it didn't go into affect. I don't know if there are any ignore orders running at the moment. but this looks like a candidate.)
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.