Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » File format for Hatrack reader

Author Topic: File format for Hatrack reader
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
I looked in the Hatrack FAQs but found no guidance on what file format to use if someone requests to see more of a work. My guesses in order of preference:
.pdf
.doc
.rtf
.txt
.swx (but why not .doc?)

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grijalva
Member # 3295

- posted      Profile for Grijalva   Email Grijalva         Edit/Delete Post 
Usually rtf safe, so is doc, sometimes, and word works. I usually send a rtf one and a word one.
Posts: 98 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snorri Sturluson
Member # 5807

- posted      Profile for Snorri Sturluson   Email Snorri Sturluson         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't speak for other people, but I loath .pdf format. The files are large, notes can't be inserted easily, it generally requires special software to view (and even more to insert notes). Unless specifically asked for, I would recommend shying away from it.
Posts: 49 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
Because I used to do technical support for Word, I usually work with that since I know it inside and out. For sending things out, I try to remember to convert to RTF, but I usually forget.
Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to send stuff in PDF until people told me they hated it. It's cross-platform and all that, but it's not good for inserting comments inline. Now I use Word unless I'm told otherwise, and everything I've ever been asked to critique has been sent to me in Word or RTF.
Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeffBarton
Member # 5693

- posted      Profile for JeffBarton   Email JeffBarton         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's another vote against .PDF because you need special, expensive software to insert comments. I like to put comments in the text right at the places they apply.

.DOC and .RTF both work with MS Word. RTF works with other editors like WordPad that I have to use occasionally. Many submission guides call for .RTF.

My order of preference:

DOC
RTF
TXT - including embedding in the body of email

with pdf and swx not on the list.

Posts: 243 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I guess it would be a good idea to put something like that in the FAQs.

I'd recommend ASCII text or RTF format if the writer and the potential critiquer don't have the same word processing software, but if they both have MS Word, then it's fine to stay with that. MS Word's tracking feature is a pretty cool way to do critiques.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
I send everything in rtf. The problem with .doc files is that they can contain viruses. rtf is generally seen as safer, and in MS word, it look sjust like a .doc file.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the one time I passed something around 'round here (so far), I just pasted it on the bottom of the e-mail. (It was short.)

When I used to hang around this Internet Fan Fiction community, we generally passed our work around in HTML format, as attached files to our e-mails. I don't know how suitable that would be here, or whether there are any inherent problems with this format. (My main beef with it was that it eliminated all paragraph indentations, and I wasn't savvy enough to figure out to put them in.)

.pdf format, when I've used it, always produces a bunch of weird typos, and I have to go over the new file to eliminate them.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
I really prefer .doc. Most people have MS Word. I have a Mac and have MS Word on it. And if you don't have Word, your PC will read it with Wordpad (or whatever its called).

When it comes to submissions, they'll usually tell you if they prefer .doc or .rtf. No one wants Apple's word processor, one of the reasons I bought Word for Mac.

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

quote:
I send everything in rtf. The problem with .doc files is that they can contain viruses. rtf is generally seen as safer, and in MS word, it look sjust like a .doc file.

You can, and should, disable the macros to prevent that. Macros are the only way virus-like behavior can infect word files most of the time. The exception is the ones that can infect any file, but I think those are usually easier for antivirus software to detect.

Macros themselves are usually pretty easy to detect, too. If you scan the file first, or your email does, you shouldn't have many problems. If you're in doubt, right-click (Windows) the file and instruct it to open with Notepad or Wordpad.

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Always read the guidelines. A lot of on-line magazines will only accept one format.
Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

Oh, I thought we were talking about sending manuscripts to other Hatrackers for critiques, not to Online Magazines. You should definitely send a publisher whatever format they request.
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
all the online submits I've been doing request that the text be pasted into the body of the email (granted, it's all query stuff, so it's pretty short) but, man, I hate how it looks.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.