Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Prose -- What is it?

Author Topic: Prose -- What is it?
GalaxyGal
Member # 4755

- posted      Profile for GalaxyGal   Email GalaxyGal         Edit/Delete Post 
Should a novel always be done in prose? And, what the heck does that mean?

I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't know prose from a hole in the ground.

How does a person know if she is writing prose, crap and/or something else?

Thanks ahead of time.

Posts: 27 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm....

Prose is anything that isn't poetry. see explications by typing "definition of prose" into google below for more details.

Definitions of prose on the Web:

* ordinary writing as distinguished from verse
* matter of fact, commonplace, or dull expression
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

* Prose is writing distinguished from poetry by its greater variety of rhythm and its closer resemblance to the patterns of everyday speech. The word prose comes from the Latin prosa, meaning straightforward. This describes the type of writing that prose embodies, unadorned with obvious stylistic devices. Prose writing is usually adopted for the description of facts or the discussion of ideas. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prose

* The organization of the written word into paragraph form.
www.christianfantasy.net/glossary.html

* the ordinary language people use in speaking or writing
www.iclasses.org/assets/literature/literary_glossary.cfm

* The Works of Mr. Alexander Pope in Prose. Vol. 1, 1737; vol. II, 1741.
www.bartleby.com/219/0300.html

* text which does not have the rhythmic qualities or poetry and which tends to be less concentrated in language or ideas
www.longman.co.uk/tt_seceng/resources/glosauth.htm

* 1. written or spoken language that is not verse. 2. referring to nonmetrical language, as fluent prose style. Cp. verse.
www.nde.state.ne.us/READ/FRAMEWORK/glossary/general_p-t.html

* straightforward' writing without recourse to the patterned regularity of metred verse. It can encompass speech or description or narrative. (Prose poetry has the ornateness and imagery of poetry but, like prose, has no discernible metre.) Bosola is the character for whom Webster most consistently employs prose.
members.fortunecity.es/fabianvillegas/drama/glossary-p.htm

* Any writing which is not in verse.
www.fisicx.com/quickreference/art/literature_glossary.html

* prose is the ordinary form of written or spoken language. It is the opposite of poetry.
www.trinityhigh.com/curric/english/literat/glossary.htm

* Writing or speaking in the usual or ordinary form. Prose becomes poetic when it takes on rhythm and rhyme. See Poetry
www.armour.k12.sd.us/Mary's%20Classes/literary_terms_glossary.htm

* Written language that does not follow poetic or dramatic forms.
www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/keystage3/respub/mflframework/appendices/glossary_of_terms/p_to_r/

* a consciously shaped writing; a clear line between poetry and prose is difficult to draw; some of the qualities of prose are:
www.english.uga.edu/~msmith/1102_literary_terms.htm

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
the opposite of 'cons'
Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
*snort*
Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it meant "stance" - you know, as in, "He struck a manly prose."

I stand corrected, however, and realize now that the given example really means the subject beat up a book by Ernest Hemingway or Louis L'Amour. What a weird little sentence.

[This message has been edited by trousercuit (edited July 30, 2007).]

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, Matt, is your screen name here a pseudonym? Is your real name something like "Rug Passion"?

Um, good answer to the question, too. Yeah.

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luapc
Member # 2878

- posted      Profile for luapc   Email luapc         Edit/Delete Post 
Matt gave a lot of examples of the definitions of prose which should give you some idea that the definition differs depending upon your source and who you are talking to. The problem with the word is that it is something that is more fuzzy than concrete. Many people will point to a specific author, usually from the distant past, and usually in literary rather than genre fiction, and point to their prose, claiming it to be the greatest writing ever. The thing is that there are just as many people who would look at the same example and claim it was too wordy or stuffy.

From my own experience with writing, prose is something that just comes naturally out of your writing once you find your voice. Your voice is that special thing you find after writing awhile and gaining confidence in your work. The more you write, the more natural the words flow, and the more it becomes yours and yours alone. A lot of people would call that style, and definitely prose is part of style.

The key to finding prose in your own work is to continue to write and gain confidence in it. Don't try to add prose to your writing, it just won't work because it won't be your writing, but something you just made up. Eventually you will find the pacing and rhythm in your writing if you write often and consistently as your confidence grows. Also don't worry whether your writing has prose, or if someone starts to criticize your style as lacking prose. That'll just be one person's thoughts and likely they don't understand prose either. Nobody likes everything, especially when it comes to the written word.

Posts: 326 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
P-rose by any other name would sound as p-sweet.
Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
P-lease!
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I am the (in)famous Matt Lust.

I'm not sure if that lowers or raises any view you may have of me but yes I am really Matt(hew) A Lust.

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
wow... I have to say I haven't found many threads with so many clever replies, that's why the community of hatrack is worth being a part of
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, two Matt's. I was confused for a moment.

Matt

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

For a few panicked moments our friend RMatthewWare was hiding all his FloorCoverings Monthly magazines.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited July 30, 2007).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
My wife had a run in her prose that wouldn't stop until she put nail polish on it...

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still waiting to hear what it is Matt is infamous for. If it's good, it could be the plot for my next book
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Being serious for a moment, Theodore Sturgeon, among others, would write in meter -- iambic pentamiter, say -- but lay it out like prose. It's an interesting technique.

Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

Trying to figure out a style is too hard. I just try to write as clearly as I can to get the story out. OSC said that's how you develop style.
hoptoad
Member # 2145

How can you ask us to be serious and then say the words "Theodore" and "Sturgeon".

Now I'm seeing a large fish talking like a chipmunk.

(Of course he is speaking in iambic pelargoniums)

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never figured out what passages of Sturgeon's work were written that way---either it's an exaggeration of his writing method, or he's so good I just don't notice. (I just bought Volume Eleven of Sturgeon's collected stories---read through the stuff at the back of the book and the Ellison intro, but haven't dived into the stories yet.)

I do remember a passage in Heinlein's "Time Enough For Love" that was bunched-together poetry---the Kalevala / Hiawatha meter, I forget what it's called.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

quote:
Writing a book is a horrible, exhausting struggle, like a long bout of some painful illness. One would never undertake such a thing if one were not driven on by some demon whom one can neither resist nor understand. For all one knows that demon is simply the same instinct that makes a baby squall for attention. And yet it is also true that one can write nothing readable unless one constantly struggles to efface one's own personality. Good prose is like a windowpane.

George Orwell Why I Write

Some hard truths in this essay.

If you are interested text file available here.

Edit: fix url

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited July 31, 2007).]

GalaxyGal
Member # 4755

- posted      Profile for GalaxyGal   Email GalaxyGal         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking there was some magical, flowery, prose-writing formula, but apparently there isn't. Whew.

I was educated (and humored -- geez, you're all so witty) by the many posts here.

Thanks you for your responses.

Posts: 27 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.