Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » oops...how did we get here?

Author Topic: oops...how did we get here?
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
OK I know this isn't directly about writing... but I'm really curious how everyone even finds our hatrack community. I see new faces from all over the world and I wonder if it's more than just word of mouth. I found it because card listed the webpage in one of his books, as a tribute. Don't remember which now... come to think of it.

But to try to justify this topic... this information can help us to connect, as writers, to a greater global writer's community, if we can identify how writers are finding each other, with which we can improve our writing, through writing about writing, in the most written way possible....

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
i found this place by shere accident. i was looking for something what i dont reamember but i found Hatrack insted.
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I Googled 'sci fi wwriters discussion forum'

I wanted an online forum because I travel on business all the time and can't get to regular physical writers workshops, so I was hunting for a virtual workshop.

I wanted a moderated forum. I chose Hatrack because Kathleen's moderation is excellent, and the first 13 idea is a valuable --new to me -- writing discipline.

Hope this helps,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I found the forum because I finally decided to look online and see if my favorite author had a website. Lo and behold, there was Hatrack! And wonder of wonders, there was a writer's forum where people actually wrote instead of just talked about writing 'someday'.

I can truthfully say that stumbling across Hatrack is the reason I began my writing career, so OSC has been my main inspiration since the start. It's total gravy that he happens to like what I write too.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
Ages ago, my favorite board systems was shutting down. People were searching for new locations. This forum was pointed out to me, but I was not ready for it.
Not to long ago, another forum I regulary visited died, so I decided I wanted to find this again. A bit more experiance allowed me to take advantage of what this place has to offer.

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
I, too, surf sites of authors that catch my fancy. So I was vagually aware of Hatrack from occasional lurks. After I began writing, it was a natural progression.
Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Kathleen mentioned it to me. I'd been involved (on and off) with the late-and-lamented Science Fiction and Fantasy Workshop, print publication and workshop parts, for, oh, over twenty years. The site came up in correspondence, I looked at it...and wondered how I had missed it lo! these many many years.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
I had stumbled across a couple of the Alvin Maker books in a thrift store, and was looking online to see if the other promised books in the series had been published - I've been very cynical since the Gunslinger series.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
About four or five years ago I had become a big OSC fan. It happened that was about the same time I started writing. I found this workshop while looking around Hatrack, but didn't join right away.
Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
It was reccomeded to me by a member of Hatrack who was also in another writers forum I am a member of.
Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I followed a link off the critters.org site, but I've also seen links from the Sff.net. WHile there are a bunch of on-line workshops floating around, only a handful are very good, and hence these come up repeatedly.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda
Member # 3574

- posted      Profile for Lynda   Email Lynda         Edit/Delete Post 
I followed a link off Critters too, and I also did a search for writing groups. After browsing several, I decided I liked it here.

Lynda

Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
When I went to EnderCon there was a workshop devoted just the the Hatrack website, which I found puzzling.

Hard to believe that was seven years ago.

Even so, I wasn't really involved until 2003, and then I started posting here (originally as pooka) more in 2005, I think.

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
When I decided to start writing, one of the books I came across was OSC's How to write Science Fiction and Fantasy. After that I searched for his website.

For a long time I just went through his writing lessons. It took a while before I decided to join the forum.

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Like many others, I hunted down the site as an OSC fan.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snorri Sturluson
Member # 5807

- posted      Profile for Snorri Sturluson   Email Snorri Sturluson         Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the day, nearly 10 years ago now, I was looking for new books and figured that OSC probably had written more than the Ender Quartet. I did a search on the net (which was still rather new and fangled at that point) and found this site, which utterly confused me as I had no idea what hatrack had to do with Ender's Game (and obviously, I thought, Ender's Game would be the theme for OSC's website). Found the forums (back before they were using UBB), made the switch to the Young Writer's Forum, and after a long hiatus signed up here.

The rest, as they say, is history... and by that I mean long, boring, and not terribly relevant.

Posts: 49 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josh Anthony
Member # 5960

- posted      Profile for Josh Anthony   Email Josh Anthony         Edit/Delete Post 
I found this site because of OSC (sound familiar? ), but then I came across the forum. Up til now I've only had friends and family to read my stories (so the critique is rather biased). To find that there was a place where I could submit my work and have it analyzed by fellow SF&F writers...it was amazing for me.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
OSC wrote at length in the back of one of the Alvin Maker books, I think it was the 4th one, about the Hatrack community and how invaluable some of it's members had been in helping him polish material for the book. He also indicated that several of the forum members had shown up i the novel because the character they portrayed in the forums was so interesting and amusing.

That sounded very interesting to me, so here I came, it was actually over a month before i even realized the writing forums were here.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeffBarton
Member # 5693

- posted      Profile for JeffBarton   Email JeffBarton         Edit/Delete Post 
In a discussion forum far, far away about alternate history long, long ago, there was a fiction posted and discussed. The author was trying to explain depth of penetration into the mind of the POV character. He cited the relevant entry in OSC's writing lessons. I read that lesson, then the others. I lurked around the Workshop for a while. Finally, I tried writing a short story and joined up to share stories and critiques.

Posts: 243 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mauvemuse
Member # 5488

- posted      Profile for Mauvemuse   Email Mauvemuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I was also looking for OSC related stuff and after clicking all of the buttons on the site, found this.
Posts: 39 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I am destiny
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrack was listed in my friends Writers Digest. So we looked it up and here I am...

~D

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I am very much not a fan of Mr. Card's writing, but I was checking out some sites that crit differently than the ones I usually use. I can't say I agree with the idea of critting based on the first 13 lines but I do drop in every day or so to see what people are talking about or to get opinions on writer related issues.
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I should say that I am not one of Mr. Card's biggest fans or even regular readers. There was a time, in the early eighties, where I "had the bug" and combed through all my magazine back issues and anthologies on hand looking for his short stories---I learned a lot from rereading them in a bunch, I think---but it didn't stay with me.

Since coming here, I have picked up the Alvin Maker series and enjoyed that immensely---seemed kind of the thing right up my alley, actually. But I'm still not inclined to pick up the Ender series just yet---"Ender's Game" was one of his things, way back, that I didn't like. (Passing time has improved a lot of things I didn't like at first, though. Anything is up for another look, if I can ever find the time.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
I read Ender's game last Thanksgiving and fell in love with the book. Re-read it right away. Found Harry Potter next (I took a fiction break while having kids...) and read 6 books in 15 days... LOL, the kids watched a lot of TV that vacation. Went back to OSC and started reading the rest of the enderverse. It was in the back of one of those books that Hatrack was mentioned. Didn't think much of it, got busy with the holiday hullabaloo. Then made a quasi-new year's resolution to WRITE. Remembered reading about the Hatrack website from OSC's books, dug them back out, found the reference (I haven't read the Alvin Maker series so the name is still lost on me...LOL) and came here.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Well, a little poking around should reveal some details of the Alvin Maker series. And you might speculate why this site is called "Hatrack River Writer's Workshop"...
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as Mr. Card is concerned, I think that when an artist, whether writer, actor, or whatever, chooses to make himself politically controversial, as he has done, it is likely to "slop over" into people's judgments on their artistic work. Unfortunately, I simply can no longer enjoy his work although there was a time when I did. I generally prefer not to discuss that, since I don't particularly feel that my politics and my writing should mix.
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The G-Bus Man
Member # 6019

- posted      Profile for The G-Bus Man   Email The G-Bus Man         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I found it because I was familiar with OSC from the start and was looking around to see if he had an online forum after reading the 1991 edition of "How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy."

And what do you know, I was right

Posts: 87 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
I honestly don't remember, but it is the first writing forum/workshop site I began frequenting.

I'm not a huge OSC fan, just an average/regular fan, having read a half dozen or so of his books. Ender's game is still the one I have the most attachment to.

Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sakubun
Member # 5719

- posted      Profile for sakubun           Edit/Delete Post 
In Japan, people usually stay at work for long hours and come in on weekends and holidays. It's not how well you do, but how much you are physically at work.

This goes for foreign English teachers as well even though we find this truly silly. I can work 100 hours overtime and then ask for 1 hour off to leave early on a day with no classes and have a vacation time sheet shoved in my face.

This causes us to surf the web for things we have no interest in or just follow links to see where they go or in my case searching for anything I think of. Average lifespan of a praying mantis....I'll google it.

That all being said, I recently googled all the writers I enjoy reading and then clicked on any link I found relating to them. I searched for OSC and found this site and then noticed the forum. I read it for a while and decided to take the plunge.

As you can see, I am at school now and bored and typing all this nonsense. It's summer "vacation" though I have to come in everyday.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I read an invitation to come to the Hatrack in Xenocide, and so I popped in, actually I popped into the wrong forum first, I think it was some sort of Alvin Maker RPG. After they yelled me out I found here. It's not my first writer's forum (or my last) but I'm still here.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mortifaguillo
Member # 5967

- posted      Profile for mortifaguillo   Email mortifaguillo         Edit/Delete Post 
As a matter of fact, I got here on a lucky guess. I was doing some research about the videogame 'Monkey Island' (where 'research' should be 'play again' lol) for an amateur screenplay. It's a game I have played itseveral times but I never noticed in the credits that OSC had written the insults for the insult swordfighting section, which are quite funny.

So I googled a bit about OSC, found his webpage... and you know what happended next.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
I was searching to see if Uncle Orson was doing any book-signings in my area. I found no information about that and don't know if he does book tours.
Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
WouldBe, the Calendar link at the top of the page will take you to the list of OSC signings and appearances. Or you can get there from here.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Howjos
Member # 2441

- posted      Profile for Howjos   Email Howjos         Edit/Delete Post 
I found this site as years ago I was into online free form rpg's and wanted to try and track one down based on Ender's Game. I found the Battle School forum first then made my way here fairly quickly as I explored the site.
Posts: 35 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.