Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » A Question About Selling

Author Topic: A Question About Selling
Kakichi
Member # 5814

- posted      Profile for Kakichi   Email Kakichi         Edit/Delete Post 
So I'm finished with my short story "Misfortune's Child". It ends on somewhat of a cliffhanger regarding the life and death of the main character (POV). There is also a purposely unresolved storyline within the story that will bridge all three parts of the story I want to tell.

My question is this though: Would any publishers buy the first part of a probable 3 part story, or would they commit to even the one considering there is an obvious unfinished part of the story?
If it will be near impossible to sell a short story of this type, I can easily expand this into a novel or one point of view of several in a novel, but I need to know how much I need to expand this. It's a bit of a dillema for me to say the least.

this is the last question I really have and will be discussing it with my professors once I start school on the 22nd to get as much opinion about this as possible. Thanks in advance for the feedback and advice!

Posts: 52 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this a true short in length? ie less that 7k words?

If so and its really as cliffhanger as you say then NO its highly unlikely (99.999999%) anyone will buy it out right.

You say you have three parts well then turn the story into a novella make it 22k words and sell it as that.

No major mag serializes anything smaller than a novel. and those are usually broken into approximately 20k word chunks.

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
It's called a serial and some magazines do publish them. This is a great site to do some market research:

http://storypilot.com/

If you click on "selected lengths" instead of putting in the exact word count, one of the options is "serial." Then you can do a search for markets that might be interested.

It's pretty rare to serialize things anymore, though. Like PP said, it might be better to write the whole story and sell it as a novella/novelette/whatever.

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited August 09, 2007).]

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
It is common practice for writers to publish parts of a novel. Damon Knight called such novels "fix ups". Examples include Asimov's Foundation, Van Vogt's The Weapon Shops of Ishar, and Farmer's To Your Scattered Bodies Go.

But...

The story has to be a satisfying stand-alone story. There has to be a conflict and a resolution. Some things can be left open ended -- no story ties up all the loose ends. But there must be an emotionally satisfying conclusion. Without that, no, it won't sell.

Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I just want to add one thing: If you're going to have any hope at all of selling this as a serial, you really need to have the whole thing finished. They might trust known authors, but they'll want to see the whole thing from an unknown author to make sure you can follow through.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kakichi
Member # 5814

Cool, sounds like I just need to hop right on into the next part/chapter, or whatever it will end up being.

As far as what I have for this first part though, I think it does have a cliffhanger, a conflict, a resolution, and a loose end. I'm just about done with it, and I'll post about it in another forum, but if anyone is interested in reading the whole thing (part one), just email me and request it. I'll send it out to anyone that is interested. Halfway through the final revision and it stands at about 12000 words.

Posts: 52 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeffrey.hite
Member # 5278

- posted      Profile for jeffrey.hite   Email jeffrey.hite         Edit/Delete Post 
sorry off topic, so I will keep it short.

Rick Norwood: I can't believe it someone else that has read Farmer. Please e-mail me some time I would love to know what you thought of that series. If you read the whole thing. blah blah blah...

Again sorry I know it is off topic, I just don't find many people that have read his work.

- Jeff

Posts: 95 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of following through, anyone know when Dean Koontz's last Frankenstein novel is coming out? I feel like I've been left hanging.
Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Offhand, I'd say if it has some sort of resolution, it's all right...if it does sell, and the editor brings it up, tell him you're saving something for the sequel...but if he wants a fix-up of the fix-up story, fix it up.

(What's so odd about reading Philip Jose Farmer? He's a core SF writer---fifties-through-seventies era---and has written a lot of interesting stuff. (I was particularly fond of his Dare for many years---probably its luridness appealed to me.))

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
If it's hard SF, you might want to try ANALOG -- they serialize novels.
Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
I've read some Farmer also.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
You are welcome to start a topic in the Discussing Published Hooks and Books area for books by Farmer.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeffrey.hite
Member # 5278

- posted      Profile for jeffrey.hite   Email jeffrey.hite         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry KDW, didn't mean to cause a problem.

Posts: 95 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kakichi
Member # 5814

Heh. Getting off topic is so easy to do sometimes...

My story is fantasy though so I haven't even considered ANALOG for publishing yet.

though there have been some good suggestions here and I'll follow the links and see what I can find out in the next few weeks.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
No problem, jeffrey.hite. I'm just trying to encourage people to make more use of the Discussing Published Hooks and Books area, and you provided a chance for me to do it.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, we managed to move most of the Harry Potter discussions there...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.