Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » So instead of writing or doing anything meaningful for my novella....

Author Topic: So instead of writing or doing anything meaningful for my novella....
The G-Bus Man
Member # 6019

- posted      Profile for The G-Bus Man   Email The G-Bus Man         Edit/Delete Post 
...I spent today making doodles of backstory stuff for my novella

Ships, fighters, etc., stuff that might not even really factor in the end, but I find it helps during those days where I just can't be motivated to write. It helps me nail down some details I otherwise wouldn't think of - thinking out some of the details of vehicles and equipment helps nail down some of the minutia and physics of my universe, or what kind of motivations the people who designed them have (gives some insight into their motivations for other things).

So do any of you ever make doodles of stuff or characters for your stories? Do any of you find that it helps at all?

Posts: 87 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
I take it your novella is a sci-fi?

I do the same as you, I have lots of ideas but when it comes to pen to paper, or for me fingers to keyboard, I find it hard to write those new ideas. So I tend to form new ideas and add to an existing world I already have, whether it's a new city, kingdom or race that I fit into there nicely.

I create races mainly, mainly the stereotypical lizardfolk, felinefolk and waterfolk to put them basically. I also use the same amount of characters I have done in my older stories, sometimes scrapping them altogether so that I can use the same characters in my new story and it keeps going on in circles.

It's just seems to be a more productive way to get ideas or motivation if I do that, though the motivation to write lately has sizzled out quite a bit.

Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
If only I had some sort of artistic talent...LOL

I do switch between longhand and typing sometimes. It helps me to write in different ways - on notecards, draw out a diagram of what's happening/timelines, that sort of thing from time to time. I agree with your premise that mixing it up can be refreshing to the writing process, however I just can't draw to save my life.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marzo
Member # 5495

- posted      Profile for Marzo   Email Marzo         Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely doodle. Too much of watching those 'The Making Of' extras on DVDs is probably to blame. For me, dealing with 'pre-production' art is a big part of the story creation process.

It helps me brainstorm and relax and clarify the image of a character/race/area/item, especially if I'm having writer's block.

Plus, it's fun, and no one will ever have to see my shoddy scribbles!

Posts: 201 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeffBarton
Member # 5693

- posted      Profile for JeffBarton   Email JeffBarton         Edit/Delete Post 
Been there, done that.

I have my MC running through corridors and around the periphery of a starship. My own mental picture wasn't enough. I drew out the diagram and have been back to it several times. Instead of getting in the way of writing, it cleared my view and made the descriptions consistent. The AI are often shown giving directions around the starship with that diagram. If the story ever gets to the point where somebody would be illustrating it, I have one graphic ready.

Haven't had the need to draw out shuttles or the enemy assault swarm.

Posts: 243 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think so, Marzo. When you're dead and gone and incredibly famous, some family member will find all your doodles in a box somewhere, and they'll all get published in one of those goofy calendars.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The G-Bus Man
Member # 6019

- posted      Profile for The G-Bus Man   Email The G-Bus Man         Edit/Delete Post 
Or they'll turn it into the Star Trek Technical Manual or the Star Wars Incredible Guide to Vehicles and Vessels
Posts: 87 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.