Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » WOTF. Contest Strategies. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: WOTF. Contest Strategies.
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Alas, not quite. I've yet to master clarity in writing...

I've been writing for about four years, since '03. I floundered around on a rough novel, got halfway through a revision, and then decided to heed the advice that it's best to learn how to craft a short story/novelette first. If I couldn't do that, how could I hope to write a publishable novel?

Thus, I've been entering for two years. In '05, I entered for the first time. It was more of a try-it-and-see. The story came back a quarterfinalist. I tried again six months later and that came back a quarterfinalist.

This past year I've entered 3 times. In the first quarter, my story was a semifinalist. The second time an honorable mention(aka quarterfinalist).

So as a goal, it grew on me, and--I haven't won yet. The jury is still out on that. So I can't talk as though I'm coming down from the Mount with the ten writing commandments. But I've fulfilled the goal in being a finalist and getting through the first reader. If it doesn't win, my next goal should be to not only be a finalist, but win first, second, or third place.

I've read Volume 22 & 23 all the way through, and a handful of stories from Volume 21. But to be honest, when I have a book in my hands, I'm not in analyze mode. I'm in enjoyment mode. I haven't learned to condition myself to study the text as a writer. As a reader, of course, I've all sorts of opinions. I can only take away a lesson in the places where my inner reader and inner writer intersect.

[This message has been edited by ChrisOwens (edited November 14, 2007).]

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
It's great to achieve a goal. Because I write so few short stories, I doubt I'll ever enter again but it was interesting doing it once. I wish I knew if the story was considered at all or got past the screening or whatever they call it though out of curiosity.

quote:
then decided to heed the advice that it's best to learn how to craft a short story/novelette first. If I couldn't do that, how could I hope to write a publishable novel?
I can't say I particularly agree with that advise though. I find very little similar in writing the two. But whatever works for you.

Edit: Hey, out of curiosity, do they bother notifying the losers in any way?

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited November 14, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone should get some notice(email or snail mail), whether they were finalists, semifinalists(who get a critique), honorable-mention/quarterfinalists, or nonplacers.

Of course, the post office is not always reliable. Neither rain nor snow--but mistakes are made. Of course, even emails from Grandma get lost in the junk folder.

The Semifinalists were just announced:
http://wotfblog.galaxypress.com/2007/11/semi-finalists-announced.html

[This message has been edited by ChrisOwens (edited November 14, 2007).]

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

True, when dealing with creativity, it is subjective. What works for one, doesn't work for another.

For quite a while, I haven't been able to write a true short story (that is where 250*manuscript_pagecount <= 7500). No matter how hard I try, I end up with a novelette.

To be sure, there is a gulf between short stories and novels, however, in a shorter work, the fundamentals of storytelling/writing are all there, it just has to be lean and mean. Fewer characters. Few subplots--if any. No Jordan-like density of setting. One day, I hope the bridge the gap. Of course, I've a lot to learn in order to do so.

JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it doesn't exactly matter much but would have been kind of nice to know. Then again, if I ever write another short story I'll be a bit surprised.
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

If you don't hear back, you can always query Author Services.
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
If you included a SASE with appropriate postage, you should get your manuscript back with ...well, I don't know. Something. I was QF last time so I got the "your story didn't suck. Keep at it!" letter (honestly, it's a huge deal to me, I might frame it. ) I think if you don't place you might not get any sort of letter, but your MS back.

But this time, I really think my MS got lost in the INBOUND mail because I never heard confirmation on receipt of MS (which I received the last time I entered, about 17 days after I had sent the MS.) Sniff sniff. I could have been a contender.

That's OK. Anyone from Hatrack in the semi-finalist list? If so, congrats!! It's a great contest. I'm excited about my next quarter entry. Once Nano is done, it's my primary project for December. I'm counting on all the other writers out there being too busy with holiday stuff to submit, so my story will naturally rise to the top. Right?

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.