Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Funny thing about inspiration...

Author Topic: Funny thing about inspiration...
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
I posted a thread maybe going on a year ago now about how I found a bit of inspiration by writing in a different font, changing the size and bolding the text, but now this one is quite surprising for me...

I have written 14,000 words since Thursday, now being Monday, Australian time, and it's all because I bought a laptop...

Has this happened to anyone else before? Have you ever found inspiration by doing something different? I'm just curious to see what others thoughts are on this.

Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grant John
Member # 5993

- posted      Profile for Grant John   Email Grant John         Edit/Delete Post 
During school holidays I go on 'writing retreats' I take my laptop and go live with my brother and sister-in-law in Canberra. I see them in the morning before they go to work, and spend the evenings with them, and while they are at work I write and write, like having a job writing. This is something I can't do at my own house. I think it is partially because I have no chance to procrastinate and that they are my muses.

Oh and Tim Tams, I am inspired by Tim Tams believe it or not.

Grant

Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeffBarton
Member # 5693

- posted      Profile for JeffBarton   Email JeffBarton         Edit/Delete Post 
I've found that the idea of changing font, margin and the like is great for editing - errors that were transparent through several readings pop right out. That hasn't led to anything like the inspiration you found, Leigh. Wish it would.

Posts: 243 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard of changing font for editing, but not writing. I'll try it sometime.
Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the exact opposite response to new tech - one of the biggest reasons I failed at NaNoWriMo 2005 was that I had just picked up a brand new iMac G5 about a week or so in - too many gewgaws and dingbats to play with.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricia V
Member # 6324

- posted      Profile for Tricia V   Email Tricia V         Edit/Delete Post 
I like writing in a spiral notebook while I'm sitting in bed. I've written some awfully good stuff that way the past couple of weeks.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I've sometimes found that looking at something in a different font brings out things I'd never have noticed otherwise---but I rarely do it.

Yeah, I've done better by switching gears and working on something else. I probably will shortly---the story I was working on seems to have died on me, so I might outline it, and then move on to something else. (I don't plan to take up my novel again until mid-October, after I get back from an out-of-town vacation.)

If something doesn't work for you as you write it, drop it and find something else to write. Life's too short, and if all other factors are equal, it's better to work on something that does work for you.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The G-Bus Man
Member # 6019

- posted      Profile for The G-Bus Man   Email The G-Bus Man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Has this happened to anyone else before?

I don't have a laptop (because I'm simply not in a position where I can either afford or justify one) but I used my brother's laptop when he was down here. I found that, perhaps just being mobile was pretty powerful inspiration - if a room's too stuffy, for example, you can just move to another one!

Posts: 87 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skribent
Member # 5143

- posted      Profile for Skribent   Email Skribent         Edit/Delete Post 
Leigh, just curious, but what did you write with before the laptop?
Posts: 52 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of different inspirations and Grant, Tim Tams? I find that hard to believe, though they are irresistable at times and what make's it worse is I work at a supermarket that sells them.

quote:
Leigh, just curious, but what did you write with before the laptop?

My PC in my bedroom, and with it I lost all interest in writing and I didn't have the love for it anymmore. I don't know, I just lost it.

Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my primitive pre-computer post-typewriter word processors was a laptop model---I did like the freedom of writing wherever I happened to sit down. (Or "lie down"---I wrote a lot in bed.) But the computer tied me down to right here in the messy storage room I call my office.

I should try again, maybe. The laptops are not so expensive that I couldn't get one that met my needs. (Dunno if I'd take it on the road with me---one more expensive item to keep an eye on.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.