Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Did You Write? 09-17-07

Author Topic: Did You Write? 09-17-07
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
Did You Write? 09-17-07

I made use of this note this week the way it was intended. The weekend arrived and I realized I did no writing. The way this weekly note is intended to work, is to get myself, and others, to realize that this note will be up at the beginning of the new week. One tries to write so they can say they did something this past week.
Note taking, editing, even if it is someone else's story, counts as writing. the idea is to do something each week.

I opened one of my Waxy stories and after a run through to change a few "images", I added to my story. I added around 900 words, and felt guilty that I did not bring it up to a thousand. I am happy that I advanced the plot quite a bit. I am not quite satisfied with the last bit I added, and have questions of how I will get to my target scenes, from where I am, but will trudge along until I figure it out, then correct what has to be corrected. It will be a cute story when done. I did nothing with the other two I have in process.
This story is based on my repairing a teddy bear of my friend. I did the actual repair and it was not as bad as it looked. The pillow the bear holds was unraveling. It also came loose from her paw. A bit of thread work and she was as good as she will ever be with my repair, I will never be a seamstress..... I now have an idea of how to go with the story now.
My original idea was my friend would be shown as she was, but she and the nursing home she is at is changing. It appears to be a nursing home for Magic users who have lost their ability to do magic. My friend is changing in her nature also. This is still up in the air, but it looks like it won't have too much in common with reality, not that I really know what reality is........

I am an idea ahead on what I posted so far this month. I will miss Thursday because of a wood turning club meeting so I will be even on the weekend.
Because I open the office each morning, I get to work quite early. I check in the morning, many of the BBSs I visit and post on in the evening. One board has science fiction / fantasy writing assignments and I wrote something for it this morning. I intended it to end up being a story idea, but as I wrote, it was not coming together at all. I posted it, but it needed rewriting to be a story idea. It was easier to post it than send it to my home computer. I will write a few more pieces for the writing assignment just to try other ideas.
Also on that board is someone doing poetry writing assignments. I try to do them to, even though poetry is not my forte'.

A project I am doing is to make a bowl that looks like a duck. My first attempt came apart, literally and figuratively. I am doing a new attempt and it is not quite right. With most wood turning, you stick a piece of wood on the lathe and spin it around the center of the wood. With this duck, I mounted the wood sideways, so the ends spin around the middle of the piece of wood. When you leave the natural edge of the wood, it dips in the middle as it curves around the natural shape of the wood. It is called a banana bowl as it could be used to hold a banana. Anyway, I did not line up the log quite right. the sides are off center, one side is higher than the other. I will go with it, and might do something like design the neck to be looking on that side or something like that. I will give a lot of thought about how to make use of my mistake. Otherwise, the bowl looks pretty good right now in the unfinished state.
To use this in a story, I might have someone trying to make life, a specific kind of intelligent life from scratch. He keeps making little mistakes, along with design errors and weaknesses of the process. He keeps coming short of what he is after. He has to get one right, before he can consider mass-producing them for his project. These could be biological robots, or a new kind of pet, or something that could be used as food. The main idea is that he keeps missing his goals because he has not worked it out yet.

So, to the question in hand, I can say yes, I wrote this week.

Did you?

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
remember Rosanne Rosanna Danna? Sometimes it's a bear with a leak in the stuffing, sometimes it's a duck sideways on the lathe.

I spent most of my writing time re-writing this week, and doing background research. Fun, fun and fun!

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
Yup a friend of mine gave me a copy of his novel that comes out in March. I read it and it reminded me of what I'm most comfortable writing genre/voice/milieu so I started hashing out a story I've had in different forms for the last 10 years or so.

Churned out about 2000 words, 10 double spaced pages, basically one chapter.

But because I have moved back to something I can write pretty much from my head, without having to do research and such, it flows pretty quickly and smoothly. Hoping it goes somewhere :-)

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote, I did! I'm trying out a new program called Scrivener http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener.html . I was skeptical, but I don't have a MSWord on my Mac book so I thought I'd give it a whirl... and so far I like it. It lets you create virtual index cards for scenes, plot points, whatever, and you can see them on a cork board and switch them around. Kinda fun.

Anyway, I wrote another draft of my Winter's Lesson short story which I'm thinking of submitting to WotF. What else..? I punched out another 4000 words or so of my secondary WIP (heh! I guess that's less than a seventh of what lehollis's word count!) and did some more outlining.

And I've given a lot of thought on political intrigue, how to create it and how to write it in a suspenseful way. No answers yet, just a lot of thinking... Nothing like the Romans for political intrigue, so I started reading Imperium by Richard Harris. An excellent historical fiction, by the by.

Then I kicked myself for not writing more. Unlike many of you, I have no job right now. I have no reason not to punch out thousands of words. And yet, I have, like, five measly stories, one mess of a first draft, and the smatterings of another first draft? Come on now, girl, get it together! You can do better!

So, for this coming week: I will try to get one of my pieces ready to submit to WotF. I will try to submit another story, period. I will write chapter 2 of my 2nd draft of my massive WIP, and will try to eek out 3000 more words on my other WIP. And I will try to write one new story (and I'll actually check this thread to make sure I accomplish all that I'm aiming for.)

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited September 17, 2007).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meg.stout
Member # 6193

- posted      Profile for meg.stout   Email meg.stout         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been mostly doing personal research for future novels (translation, I've been nasty sick). But I did trim up a piece I wrote a couple of months back and sent it to Jake Freivald for his cutting blog.
Posts: 336 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe, I can honestly say I have written this week. Bought a laptop on Thursday, ending up writing 14,000 words from then til Sunday night Now I have about 15,500 words because works back on, damn work!
Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
I have written this week and am SO glad to be past my horrible month of doing almost nothing but editing. I'm well into my new novel, but just decided I need to change my planned plot. The original just didn't have the depth that I want. I always outline my novels before writing them, but I also usually change my mind.

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I finished the final rewrite of Compassion Cycle. A little more polishing and it should be ready for submission. That's exciting for me because this will be the first time I feel confident enough in a story to submit it for publication.

Now I'm turning to the rewrite of a second short story. Being me, I have to get the whole thing in mind before I start writing, and luckily I have some long drives ahead (I travel a lot) which will give me the time to do just that.

Cheers,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Alas, no. I got partway into my latest story, felt the need to develop an outline and background, then didn't get around to doing that. (Actually, my story brought a bunch of people to a rather unpleasant place---and I started writing before knowing why they were there in the first place. Casting around for a reason has stumped me.)

Besides that, I've got an impending out-of-town vacation looming. My production usually shuts down a few weeks before that...and sometimes for a few weeks after. I might turn out a few words here and there, but day-in-day-out consistency in writing comes to a stop. See ya on the other side.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeffBarton
Member # 5693

- posted      Profile for JeffBarton   Email JeffBarton         Edit/Delete Post 
<complaining>

Did I write? Alas, no. It was the business trip from hell. To hell? No, to Iowa. The people running the conference were demonic, though. Sixteen-hour days. The choices for the other eight were sleep, eat, exercise or write. You see where 'write' comes on the list.

I did some outlining on the plane trip to the conference. There hasn't been any work on it since. I couldn't even get my mind around any first 13's last night. Recovery is likely to take longer than the conference.

</complaining>

Posts: 243 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KaliAngelKat
Member # 4064

- posted      Profile for KaliAngelKat   Email KaliAngelKat         Edit/Delete Post 
I did some writing. Right now I am working on doing my pre-NaNo prep. I am still debating on which one to do.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricia V
Member # 6324

- posted      Profile for Tricia V   Email Tricia V         Edit/Delete Post 
I do a little writing everyday. I've been wanting to crit some F and F but there's been a bunch of replies already to everything.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.