Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Staff vs. Sword?

Author Topic: Staff vs. Sword?
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, you battle buffs out there, here's my problem. I have a character who is a pro with a quarterstaff. When he goes off to war, he decides he should learn to be proficient with a sword. His society does not use horses; however, the enemy that he's fighting has a cavalry as well as a better-equipped infantry.

So, would this be the right choice for him to make? Or would a quarterstaff be just as effective, or more so, against a better-armored foot-soldier wielding a long sword? He has minimal armor, mostly made of wood and leather, though with some metal. The enemy has metal breastplates and greaves, at the least.

Conversely, should he just take a spike or a spear, which could arguably be used as a quarterstaff, and would also be effective against the horses? They don't commonly fight against armed enemies.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
Spear is better for organized infantry fighting.
Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

Good point. Maybe I should add that the fighting takes place in the forests of the mountains, where is where my MC lives. The primary tactics of the MC's people are ambushes and surprise attacks. So no phalanxes.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JasonVaughn
Member # 4358

- posted      Profile for JasonVaughn   Email JasonVaughn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd go for a ranged weapon like a bow and arrow. Given the fact that your MC will probably know the terrain better than their enemies, this kind of weapon would be ideal for hit and run style ambushes.
Posts: 61 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
If the enemy has cavalry...sword is what cavalry use so efficiently, isn't it? But what bests cavalry? Wasn't it the English longbow? Then guns. But until you had repeater rifles and rifling itself in the barrel, the cavalry would still beat all but the most trained infantry with primitive guns. At least, that's what seems to be happening in all those wonderful Sharpe novels by Bernard Cornwell.
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antinomy
Member # 5136

- posted      Profile for Antinomy   Email Antinomy         Edit/Delete Post 
A quarterstaff is a stout pole 6 to 8 feet long according to www.dictionary.com. Sounds like a formidable weapon to me.

Used proficiently it could trip up a charging horse or knock a rider out of the saddle by ramming the chest armor or whacking the back of the head. A quarterstaff man could hold a swordsman at a distance, crack the knuckles of his sword hand followed by a quick reverse strike to the groin before finishing him off with an overhead blow to the skull.

Posts: 147 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to have to refer you to the Spartans. They carried a short sword (spata) for when they could no longer use a spear. The spear was their prominent weapon -- and can be used like a quarterstaff (Bo). And, the Persians were better armed and had a cavalry.

If not the phalanx, how about the more flexible maniple?

Don't forget the lessons of Sun Tzu, Myamoto Musashi, Leonidas at Thermopylae (the Hot Gates), or Pausanius at Plataea: use their surroundings as a weapon!

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited September 21, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
My opinion is that some kind of a pike or spear would be best against cavalry. I'm automatically thinking of the scene in Braveheart where they take down the heavy cavalry with a surprise super-pike attack. I believe a good sword is a superior weapon against infantry than a staff or spear is, if fighting solo. Maybe some combination of both, after-all if he's proficient with a staff/spear it would be useful (still) to know how to use a sword and bring one. After-all staffs (staves?) generally break before steel swords do, especially if they're made from wood.

Edit: however, if he wants to play it safe give him a ray gun

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited September 21, 2007).]

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
arriki,

Keep reading the Sharpe novels. 1) They're great; 2) They're great tutorials on Napoleonic war strategy.

In Sharpe's Eagle (I think), there is a great description of how unsupported calvary and unsupported infantry are, if well-led, incapable of harming each other. Well-led infantry can make itself invincible to unsupported calvary using a hedgehog-type hollow square formation and reserving fire. If they fire at anything but a direct charge, however, the calvary will sweep in while they are reloading and destroy them.
On the other hand, the calvary will never be caught by the infantrymen, and the infantry won't dare to fire at them unless they attempt to charge the square. If they do try a charge, the infantry can wait until extreme short range to blast them with concentrated volley fire and then take bayonets to dazed and confused calvarymen and their horses.

Edited to add: I'm not sure how accurate this is, but the Sharpe novels also has the main character dismounting individual charging calvarymen by smacking the horses in the teeth with his sword, which is described in the book as a "heavy calvary sword" unusual for an infantry officer. http://www.militaryheritage.com/images/1796%20heavy%20cavalry%20sword_1.jpg

[This message has been edited by J (edited September 21, 2007).]

Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is Debbie KW who knows a LOT about battle/weapons use. Check with her. Or zoom down the Hatrack experts list. I just remember being really impressed with Debbie's knowledge on another thread. She was awesome.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
A spear is great but in formation it takes a LOT of practice or you actually do more harm that good. A troop of spear users who don't know how to work together can actually kill themselves faster than they do the enemy.

Imagine turning in the wrong direction with a spear in hand. If you don't knock the next warrior down you'll poke his eye out at the least. The spartans used spears to fantastic effect but they trained for years to do it. You don't just "switch" weapons without a lot of work.

Different weapons use different muscles and different sets of skills. And a quarterstaff is a fine solo weapon. I don't think it was ever used in a troop situation.

You didn't say how this character of yours is fighting, but if it is a troop then they better work on working together. As usual when talking about battles, I recommend reading Moon's Deed of Paksenarrion. She didn't do the "they magically know how to use weapons" think that I find so silly.

Edit:

quote:
I'm not sure how accurate this is, but the Sharpe novels also has the main character dismounting individual charging calvarymen by smacking the horses in the teeth with his sword,
Not only is it not accurate, it's downright silly. Do you have ANY idea what a few tons of warhorse would do to you if you "smack it in the teeth"? Geesh...

If you're on foot and close enough to "smack it in the teeth" it's already ridden over you anyway. That's what they did and did quite well.

Spears were quite effective against horses but don't look to the movie Braveheart for realism. I like the movie, but it was about as historically inaccurate as you can get. It took a LOT of practice to manage to work that well together with spears.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited September 21, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
First unless the army he is fighting with is equipping him, which most did not, he will be using whatever he had before joining. This is the reason for the motley assortment of weapons often found on historic battlefields. The exception would be if he was a professional soldier under constant employ. Generally shock troops, farmers and fieldhands, were expected to bring there own weapons, they might be issued a spear, since they are relatively cheap to produce. A sword is the weapon of a gentleman/lord or a professional soldier. In many societies having a sword, much less the audacity of actually knowing how to use it, would be a death sentence. The prevalence of martial arts and modified farming implements as weapons in Japan is in part because of this prohibition to own weapons.

Depending on the societal restrictions you will probably be best having him stick to a quarterstaff. If he has a background as a campaigner or other professional soldier then maybe a sword would fit.

For taking down cavalry a spear would work, but a pike is really preferable. A spear will generally be under 8' whereas a pike typically reaches 14-17'.

As to smacking horses in the teeth, though I don't remember that from the Cornwall books, they said he stipulated individual charging cavalry. A horse under full charge can be sidestepped and swatting it across the muscle with a blade is not too farfetched. Horses charging in rank cannot be sidestepped, you would be run down. The Cornwall Sharpe novels are very good reads and give a good account of tactics and weapon usage during the Napoleanic Wars.

A quaterstaff is going to be fire hardened to temper it, so it will deflect most swords strikes, so long as you don't block the blade straight on, which could split it, but swords are not great for chopping wood, give it a try if you don't believe me :-)

Quartertaff has better reach, it requires less skill to use it effectively and has a faster recovery, for defense or follow through, than a sword. It is less lethal though, a glancing blow from the staff might result in some bruising or soreness, a solid hit could break a bone, but probably won't. A sword even on a glancing hit, will cut tissue and create bleeding, which will become worse as you extend yourself.

Historically spears are the weapon of choice, they provide good reach, can be used similar to a staff, can be thrown if required, are very effective when used in ranks, just a great weapon.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Duck, dodge, parry, thrust, spin...
Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
...splash!
Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
if you added Ow!, it could be Duck, Dodge, Ow! Parry, Spin, or DDOPS for short. If you filmed it and rewound, while you were watching it backwards, it could be SPODD. Just in case you needed an acronym or anything.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a couple of characters fight with spears recently, but the results-brought-about-by-my-ignorance displeased me, and in revisions I switched it to a knife fight---even though I know about as much about that as I do about fighting with spears.

I'm inclined to favor something with reach, like a pike or quarterstaff, where the piker might bring the fight to an end before the swordsman got unlimbered.

(Actually it was a buck-and-a-quarterstaff.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm told that the trick in knife fighting is to hold your knife low, resting on the palm of your hand, and pointing the way your thumb points. Then you poke the guy in the stomach with your thumb, and hope he doesn't notice the knife until it's too late.

I wrote a long heroic fantasy story that I still think ought to find a market somewhere, and in it I'm careful to set a scene where the main character is practicing with his weapon. Good fighters practice constantly. Which is why I think the answer to the original question that started this thread is, don't switch weapons. Instead, find a situation where a quarterstaff will be the weapon of choice -- thick forest would fill the bill. While your oponent is hacking away with his sword, cutting leaves and branches, you poke him with the quarterstaff, and keep on poking.

There is a flawed but still great film with Sean Connery playing Robin Hood where the Sheriff together with several of his men confront Robin. They don't dare even try to capture or kill him. They know one good fighter can wipe out many run-of-the-mill fighters with ease.

Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

quote:
There is a flawed but still great film with Sean Connery playing Robin Hood where the Sheriff together with several of his men confront Robin. They don't dare even try to capture or kill him. They know one good fighter can wipe out many run-of-the-mill fighters with ease.
One of the more amusing myths. While that amazing super fighter is wiping the floor, one of the group of "run-of-the-mil" fighters gets close enough to smash him over the head with a club. End of fight.

But it makes a good scene in a movie.

quote:
A quarterstaff is a stout pole 6 to 8 feet long according to www.dictionary.com. Sounds like a formidable weapon to me.

Used proficiently it could trip up a charging horse or knock a rider out of the saddle by ramming the chest armor or whacking the back of the head. A quarterstaff man could hold a swordsman at a distance, crack the knuckles of his sword hand followed by a quick reverse strike to the groin before finishing him off with an overhead blow to the skull.

Actually, a quarterstaff was a formidable weapon. However, if you are fighting in a group, you and the people around you had better all both know how to use one but know how to use one in a group or else it is more likely to be your friend you're smacking in the groin. Also quarterstaves were more likely to break and lacked both a cutting edge and a point. They were, however, cheap to make. So they had some serious disadvantages and were rarely used in warfare, but only as individual weapons.

It would be nice if that swordsman stood 8 feet away and let you smack him around. However, a smart one went in close and slashed you across the belly. That's what people do when they have less reach than their opponents. I've startled more than one larger man in swordfights doing exactly that.

The trick to winning is frequently NOT to do what your opponent WANTS you to do.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited September 23, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
It was quite common in japan for someone using a wooden preactice sword to beat someone with a real sword. Real swords could be broken when hit right. Swords are a combination of brittleness and flexibility and the japanese swords were quite brittle.

the type of sword you were up against would matter a lot too. A sword designed for stabbing will be dealt with differently than a hacking sword.

The japaneese and chineese would use their pole weapons from the end, while a quarter staff is generally used from the middle.

A hero trained with the quarterstaff could do well with a battle ax or spear. Spears had points that could cut and that most battle axes and the heavier spears generally had metal tips on the bottom for damage too. The only real difference would be to learn to make sure the cutting edge is leading in each strike. The training with a battle ax or spear would be more a minor transition.

Learning to fight with a daggar or knife, especiailly a long one, would be a good skill to have, and he might be practicing with that.

In reality, if you are good with unarmed combat, preferably japaneeze martial arts styles, you will likely be able to fight with a weapon by using it to extend your reach and the effects of your blows.

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I understand the conquistador Pizzaro was killed when set-upon by a bunch of "run of the mill" fighters---one of whom threw one of the others at Pizzaro and, while Pizzaro was dealing with the man impaled on his own sword, was himself run through.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spcpthook
Member # 3246

- posted      Profile for spcpthook   Email spcpthook         Edit/Delete Post 
consider a javelin
Posts: 71 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

Thanks guys! Yet again, you've provided a great deal of insight. I think I'll have him stick to the staff, then, but it's good to know the weakness of that choice.
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Staves were actually excellent weapons.

By the way "thrusting swords" were a very late invention. The foil, for example, are basically sport "weapons" and weren't even invented until mid 16th century. The rapier came to be used around the same time. These are dueling or sport weapons and were never used in warfare.

In battle they would be a joke. It is important to understand that when you are talking about sword fighting that fencing and sword fighting are generally two very different things. (Although at one time fencing meant the same, it has acquired a very different meaning.)

As far as breaking a metal sword with a wooden one-- yeah, sure. I'm sure that happens a lot. That's why people always used wooden swords to fight.

arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a fight, two fighters everyone else bound to merely watch. One fighter has a hoe (think staff, I guess) the other has a peachwood sword. The hoe has the reach on the sword.

A sword carved out of peachwood with a silver-lined runnel -- what would be its weaknesses? This one is wielded by a magic user, but still, the real sword...how hard would it be? If fire hardened? I know really nothing about peachwood versus oak.

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited September 24, 2007).]

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

Hm, well, oak I think is more dense. Peachwood might be more likely to split.
DebbieKW
Member # 5058

- posted      Profile for DebbieKW   Email DebbieKW         Edit/Delete Post 
debhoag said:
quote:
I think it is Debbie KW who knows a LOT about battle/weapons use. Check with her. Or zoom down the Hatrack experts list. I just remember being really impressed with Debbie's knowledge on another thread. She was awesome.

Thanks. I needed that ego-boost. It's been a bad day. Sorry for disappearing on everyone for a couple of weeks.

People have already covered most of the points that I would. First, learning to use a sword effectively in a combat situation takes some time. Your character (if given the option) would be better served to stick with his quarterstaff. I'd give him an edged weapon as a back-up in case his quarterstaff is broken, though.

Second, if his people aren't used to fighting cavalry, then they'll all be at a disadvantage (no matter the weapon) until new tactics are discovered that work effectively. He'd be safer sticking with a weapon her knew really well. Also, a man on the ground with a sword is at a very bad disadvantage when dealing with cavalry. In the situation you describe, a good bet is for his army to arm a group of people with crossbows and station them behind a bunch of posts that have their ends sharpened and are pointed at the charging cavalry. Or by having them hide in the forest and set up traps that will disable the horses (holes to break horse's legs, trip wires, crossbow bolts shot into the horse's body, etc.). Note that cavalry really aren't effective in battles in forests and mountains. They are at their best when charging at the enemy formations or charging back out of range of enemy weapons. Forests and steep terrain make that difficult.

You say that he is also fighting against a better-equipped infantry. A quarterstaff will work well if he's not fighting in formation (and it sounds like he isn't). It gives him the reach on a man using a long sword and can injure the enemy even through armor, though generally we're talking bruises rather than death-blows. Probably his best bet would be to hit the opponent in the head (which can kill, or at least knock the helmet askew so that the opponent can't see well) or knock his opponent to the ground (where that armor might actually work against him) then take a dagger to his throat.

If your fellow used a pole-arm about the size and weight of the quarterstaff but with a spike or blade on the end, he'd be even more formidable. Learning to use it might be a little tricky due to old habits that no longer work or that might even injure him, but he'd be able to learn it much more quickly than starting with a sword he's never used before. Yes, a pole-arm would be more effective against horses as well. I'd suggest, though, that he be smart and stay out of range of the horses when at all possible. Unmounted men not in formation are at an extreme disadvantage when faced with a warrior on horseback.

Hope this helped.

Posts: 357 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DebbieKW
Member # 5058

arriki said:
quote:
A sword carved out of peachwood with a silver-lined runnel -- what would be its weaknesses? This one is wielded by a magic user, but still, the real sword...how hard would it be? If fire hardened? I know really nothing about peachwood versus oak.

Maybe I'm missing something, but "what would be it's weakness"? Well, it doesn't have an edge that will cut effectively. I grant that a wooden edge would break skin and would still stab effectively. However, a hoe would have a metal edge, and probably a sharp one, too. It'd be more dangerous than just a wooden staff.

I do know that I don't get the significance of the "silver-lined runnel." Than sounds purely like decoration to me. Even if he had a silver-lined edge on the sword, silver isn't that hard of a metal in the grand scheme of things. Another problem would be keeping the metal attached to the wood and finding a way to keep that edge sharp, since traditionally one sharpens metal by filing away existing metal.

Okay, I'll shut up now. You just got me thinking about how that might work.

Posts: 357 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

DebbieKW, thanks for swinging by and giving me this input. Sorry to hear you're having a bad day .

I checked out your CDs from Wind Shadow Media Production--they look pretty cool. I think I might order a couple. It's been way too long since I've been around horses, and I've never been an expert, so I've been looking for a good way to educate myself on them.

DebbieKW
Member # 5058

annepin,

Thanks. Happily, yesterday is gone, and today was a good day.

I'd be thrilled if you bought some of my CD-ROMs. My sales drop every summer, so it's nice when fall comes around and people start buying them again. Though the CD-ROMs do have basic material and are used by Pony Clubs and such, I probably should warn you that they also go into a great deal of detail. They were originally designed to be used in university classes. Luckily, my publisher discovered that horse owners all over the world are also interested in buying them and now make up the majority of the people who purchase the CDs. Heck, even painters and sculptors have bought my Gaits CD-ROM so that they can accurately portray a horse in motion.

*sigh* Now if only a publisher would buy my fiction. At least I'll always have my non-fiction fans.

[This message has been edited by DebbieKW (edited September 25, 2007).]

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, short on time so I only scanned some of the posts. If this has been covered sorry. But from my experience (being mostly Kung-Fu movies and my own martial arts training) A good staff should be able to beat a sword. One common technique is to let the metal sword get stuck in the wood then twist it out of the dude's hand. Of course if they cut all the way through then you have to be good with two smaller sticks and think of another plan.
As to the metal armor a blunt force is better than a bladed force. It's a matter of surface area. The blunt strike will warp the armor, causing pinch points or in the helmet blocking vision.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
who in the world would bring a knife to a gun fight?

(i havent read all the replies but)

staff would be the ideal answer to mounted calvery. they are cheep and effictive. they could be sharpened at one end to thrust into the belly of a horse to through therider from it, then used to defeat the rider.

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.