Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Twilight

Author Topic: Twilight
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
I ran across this article last night, and I've been thinking about it all last night and then this morning on the drive to work. Here's a few of the thoughts....

1. Most of the fans seem to be girls. Not a big problem, except that she seems to be missing about 50% of the YA demographic. I read somewhere that a female MC will not appeal to male YA readers, only to female YA readers, whereas a male MC will appeal to both. It's an interesting conundrum.

2. Stephanie Meyer has an interesting publication story for her first novel. Check out her website if you're not familiar with it - it's motivational for those of us who remain unpublished.

3. There's one particular part in the linked article that really caught my attention.

quote:
"...and attribute their love of Meyer’s books to her “realistic” writing style. It’s not unusual in her books, which are 550 pages on average, for a scene to span twenty pages, long enough to mention every sound, every change in speaking tone, every infinitesimal change in facial expression. But what may come across as flat-footed to an adult reader seems to hold youngsters in a hypnotic sway. “It’s like you’re actually living it,” said a freckle-faced 13-year-old girl..."
Has anyone read these books? Can you confirm this? I can't see how hat level of detail would be even slightly readable - I try to show as much as possible when I write, and use body language and other non-verbal queues to get across attitude as much as possible without resorting to telling, but it sounds as if Ms. Meyer is going a little overboard with this.

4. People are calling her the second coming of JK Rowling. Did I miss the boat on this? I've never heard of this series before this article. Albeit I never heard of Harry Potter until the fourth book came out, but still.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you're going to hear a lot of people claim that someone or other is going to be the next Rowling. I'll believe it when I see it.

As for the male/female MC split, yeah, it's kind of unfair but a well-known fact that if you want to have the widest appeal, you need a male MC. HOWEVER, women read more than men, especially as teenagers, so you're not losing 50% of your potential readership by appealing to girls. I don't know what the actual stats are on that, but you can get a solid, loyal following of teenage girls and there have historically been many more YA series geared for them than for boys. In fact, I seem to recall an agent at a conference telling us a few years back that there is a need for YA for boys, especialy on the younger side of the teenage scale.

As for the 20 pages to describe every sound in a scene...well, I haven't read them but I have trouble believing that this plays well for anyone, especially a teenager. As a teen, I proudly skimmed through long paragraphs and picked out what I perceived as the most important details. I had less patience then than I do now. I missed a lot in some books, not so much in others.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricia V
Member # 6324

- posted      Profile for Tricia V   Email Tricia V         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard of her a couple of places now. If I bump into one of her books, I'll pick it up. It is very interesting to me that she's Mormon. But being a Card fan, I'm not too worried about the genre issue.

As for the description thing, I'd have to see it to make the call. I'm a very visual person, and if someone is describing something that doesn't jive with what they caused me to imagine, it bores me. I suppose I could conceive of someone controlling the description in such a way that that doesn't happen.

Like I was listening to an audiobook that mentioned Nineveh last night. Since I already have a mental picture of Nineveh in my head, their effort to describe it was laborious to get through. But I could imagine some things I wouldn't get tired of hearing described.

Posts: 104 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually read this book (Twilight) about a year ago. It wasn't half bad. Granted, I'm no where near her audience. And you know, I don't necessarily remember all of the "intricate detail" that the article mentioned. Occasionally, it got a bit long-winded, granted. Still, for a teenage vampire romance novel, I think that it rates pretty good. I had to chuckle at the "never heard about it before" comment. I actually live in Provo (Mormonville, USA) and walked into the local Barnes and Noble, and there was (seriously) a mountain of Twilight books on the floor right as I walked in. The thing was almost as tall as I was (and I'm no slouch at 6.5 feet). It's a big thing here. My wife read all three and she seemed to enjoy them okay. Ah, and her "story" is definitely an inspiration to all writers. Crazy.
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read this stuff! My daughter was bringing it home, and raving about it (she's 19). It is sllllooooowwwwww! Which means that the story arc is rather flat, with most of the detail devoted to character and setting. She had some nice Native American riffs included.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
I figure I'd better chime in, seeing as how I've read all three of the Twilight series.
First of all, yes, it does tend to get a bit descriptive. It is written in 1st person POV, so we hear every though that goes through Bella's head. Let me put it this way, Bella thinks the vampire, Edward, is the most gorgeous guy on the planet. And we hear that, again and again. The color of his eyes, the crooked smile, his heart-melting lips that makes Bella lightheaded EVERYTIME they kiss. Yeah, it gets a bit much. However, its only really bad in the first book. Meyer tones it down in subsequent novels.

Still, all that said, I couldn't put them down. And that really is saying alot. Just to illustrate: in recent weeks I rented His Majesty's Dragon, read about 100 pages and lost interest. Then, I checked out The Naming by Alison Croggon. 50 pages or so, and set it aside. I even rented the classic Wizard of Earthsea. I didn't get 40 pages into that. It's still sitting on my nightstand, unfinished. THEN, I checked out Eclipse, the thrid book in the series and I finished it in 3 days.

Now, I know some will decry my lack of culture and appreciation for great literature. Go ahead, even though it is absolutely not true. I revel in many of the more dense literary works, but an irresistable story is hard to ignore, no matter what it's flaws may be. Two words. Harry Potter.

Just my personal opinion.

[This message has been edited by wrenbird (edited September 27, 2007).]

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

I just don't get vampire romance. I may never.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've read this stuff! My daughter was bringing it home, and raving about it (she's 19). It is sllllooooowwwwww! Which means that the story arc is rather flat, with most of the detail devoted to character and setting. She had some nice Native American riffs included.

There's a niche for everything. If this sells, maybe Tolkien really would have sold in this century, too. Everyone says no way it would have sold, but who really knows?

I wondered at first if maybe it was just slow in places. Detail is a tool for pace and extending tensions, so I thought maybe that's what this author was doing. But from what Deb said, I guess not.

That's very interesting.

Maybe my automobile romance, the love affair between a Volvo and a Porche, just needs to be slower with lots of immersive details!

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tigertinite
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for tigertinite   Email tigertinite         Edit/Delete Post 
Twilight. . .yeah. I've read it and liked it. I've watched others read it and become obsessive over it. Meyer's story is a fairly good one, even if the books are beginning to drag along plotwise. If you haven't read it and you didn't hate Pride and Prejudice and Romeo and Juliet you might like this book.

With that said, this might be another Harry Potter, at least for the teenage female populace, but it is far too soon to tell.

Posts: 99 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read Twilight and loved it. And I'm a guy. I have no problem with female MC's. One of my WiP's has a female lead.

They're not the second coming of Rowling, but the one I've read is good, and my wife read the second two compulsively.

Yes, the books seem slow-paced, but I never found myself bored.

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AstroStewart
Member # 2597

- posted      Profile for AstroStewart   Email AstroStewart         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read all three in the past few months (spurned by my girlfriend discovering the first one and telling me how much I just HAVE to read it.)

They're relatively slow to start. Maybe more people than you would expect are willing to get through the slow parts because she starts each novel with a 1-page prologue that is, essentially, the exact moment before the climax of the book, when bad things are about to happen, and then she goes back and tells you why that's happening.

(essentially the first book's prologue is "and then a very bad person came towards Bella and there was nothing she could do, he was going to murder her", a scene we don't reach for another 400 pages)

I would say there are definitely slow parts. The first half of books 1 and 2, I was essentially waiting for something interesting to happen, watching all the character-buiding going on with little to no actual plot (that I cared about anyway). We get to hear a lot of how beautiful and Godlike Edward Cullen, the vampire, is, because Bella is so googily over him. We get to hear about how horribly normal and unfascinating Bella is, because that's what she thinks about herself. We get to hear about Bella's fear of waking up one day to find Edward doesn't lover her anymore, even though he's more dependable and loyal than a golden retriever.

The thing is, despite all that, if you make it sufficiently far into the book, you really do care about the characters. And you wonder what all the rules are for her vampires (I'm not a huge vampire fan, but they seemed slightly unusual, not just the cut-and-paste vampire rules, but maybe that's just because I don't know any better.) And despite how slow it tends to go, it's an easy read. I don't want to make more Harry Potter comparisons, but it is kinda like reading Harry Potter. You see some literary things that make you wince, but you look past them.

I wouldn't say this is the next Harry Potter, but maybe it's too early to tell. By the time HP got to books this thick, each one left me thinking "OMG what happens next! I can't believe I have to wait to find out!!" but after reading all 3 Twilight books, which I admit I enjoyed thoroughly (and I'm male, btw) I finished the 3rd one thinking "wow pretty good. Wonder what'll happen now..."

It's late and my brain is tired. I'll stop rambling now.

Posts: 280 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
i dont cair if the MC is male or female in any book i read. i dont see a difference realy.

as for Twilight i have heard of it but never read it. some of my friends have said it is good, and the others said it was alright. whenever i read it i will make up my own mind.

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

quote:
Maybe more people than you would expect are willing to get through the slow parts because she starts each novel with a 1-page prologue that is, essentially, the exact moment before the climax of the book, when bad things are about to happen, and then she goes back and tells you why that's happening.

Oooohhhh...all right, this series just lost any possibility of my reading it. I absolutely HATE this approach. It completely fail to create the proper dramatic tension (because when they first tell you about bad things, you aren't emotionally invested in them), but then it snail. Often, these beginning are done this way to give the author time to snail crawl through background information and info dumps.

Inevitably, TV shows have an episode formatted that way too. They always make me cringe and it's almost never necessary, especially since with a TV show, you are already emotionally invested in the situation and already motivad to wade through whatever real opening they have to get to the action.

Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Christine said it best, I think that tactic feels cheap and hollow, and it annoys me when I encounter it.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
But, she's not spelling out what is going to happen. It's a tease, if you will. A hint of danger up ahead. I mean, it's one page. How much dramatic tension can she spoil in one page?

However, I found it somewhat pointless. The description is so vauge that it really doesn't mean much to you. If I had picked up the book in the bookstore, having never heard of it, and read the prologue, I don't think it would make me say, "Oh, I have to read this now."

So, I guess I'm defending Meyer's choice, but also saying that it probably didn't have the desired effect on me, so she could have done without it.

[This message has been edited by wrenbird (edited September 28, 2007).]

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

You misunderstand -- I don't thing the approach SPOILS anything. You're absolutely right about that. It just doesn't CREATE any dramatic tension.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't strike a bell---since I adopted the "I'll write what I want, and then worry about marketing it" approach, I've lost touch with a lot of things I used to follow. This Stephanie Meyer---am I getting the name right?---a latter-day R. L. Stine, maybe?
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to LOVE R.L. Stine, but I think I was about 10 at the time, so...

No, Stephenie (that's the correct spelling) Meyer is not like R.L. Stine, she's actually good.

If you ignored the prologue/tease thingy, which is really only a paragraph anyway, it wouldn't change the book. I really enjoyed it, I liked the character development, I liked the love story, I liked the climax. You actually get to know and care about the two leads. And I think it adds to the vampire mythos very well with Meyer's take on vampires and how this particular group of vampires has evolved.

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Yeah, I would not drop a book simply because of the teaser. However, I am still--at least--mildly annoyed when I see one.

I think of it like this. The teaser has two possibilities.

1. It creates dramatic tension

or

2. It does not.

I don't think Meyers can win in this case, according to me, because if it does create dramatic tension, that usually requires something to be spoiled on some level. And I hate spoilers, even intentional ones. And if it doesn't spoil anything, and correlatively doesn't have any dramatic tension, then it is uninteresting and serves no purpose in being there, chopped out of context.

Ultimately, no matter which direction it errs, it isn't worth it.

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited September 28, 2007).]

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

Yeah, I generally dislike the technique. I don't like prologues, just give me the story. A prologue is usually out of context, won't tell me anything I can't learn later in the story, and usually won't be understood until I get further on. So just start the story at the beginning and move on.
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate prologues that are in italics and lengthy. I refuse to read them.

However, I don't mind some types of prologues. If it is the inciting incident like THE murder or when John learns for the first time he's an alien. Okay. Then chapter one starts with the police finding the body or John sneaking around Area 51 to find his father.

In both cases there is a reason to put the story event in a prologue -- a large break in time or pov or something.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
my daughter just dropped off eclipse for me. I'll keep you posted.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
I went over to Borders. I plunked down my Borders discount card...and my Borders VISA card (another discount)...and a 20% off coupon...and a $5 gift certificate and bought TWILIGHT.

So, I've sampled. I read the prologue/teaser. Hated it. Why? I think because it was so blatant. It didn't really show a story incident or a plot point. Just was there to yank my chain to get me to worry about the pov. Didn't work.

Oh well. I never buy a book or pass on because of a prologue anyway. A lot of times I skip the prologue and head for the opening of chapter one. That's more indicative of the novel.

TWILIGHT'S chapter one was okay. As I read along I felt secure with the author's writing. I don't know how to say it otherwise. It was good enough that I trust the author won't let me down -- even though many have after a good first chapter.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricia V
Member # 6324

- posted      Profile for Tricia V   Email Tricia V         Edit/Delete Post 
The Great Gatsby starts with some kind of reference to this person you don't even meet for a few chapters. I wouldn't say it's exactly the same (since I haven't read any Myers yet) but I'm just sayin'. Don't know what I'm saying. I like the Great Gatsby but I know folks find fault with it increasingly.

And where does a character story begin? You've got to get out why they are telling the story (particularly in 1st person), then it can happen that the POV character reflects on how they got there. At least, I think that's why Nick Carraway does it.

Posts: 104 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmon
Member # 6240

- posted      Profile for palmon           Edit/Delete Post 
Would someone post the first 13 in the published hooks thread?
Posts: 70 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

You know---I'm not terribly impressed by the first 13 in both the prologue and the 1st chapter (as posted in hooks and books.)

I wonder if Twilight has an amazing plot, or compelling characters, or if maybe success is somewhat random/lucky. Maybe it's like what one of you said, can't remember who, but that it has a flare of fantasy in an otherwise normal (identifiable) world.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.