Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Nanowrimo 2007? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Nanowrimo 2007?
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I know it's a month early, but the terms been popping up here and there on this site and elsewhere so I thought I'd bring it up officially.

Who's doing it this year?
What previous years have you done it?
What's your strategy (Outlining before hand? Starting completely from scratch?)

For newbies, nanowrimo stands for "National Novel Writing Month." It's a challenge to write a "novel" of 50,000 words in the month of November. It might sound silly, and certainly it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it can also be fun and exhilarating. Official details are posted on their site.

Me, I look at it as novel seeding. I usually start out with some kind of germ, which begins to take form in October. By November I usually have something to work with, and then I let 'er rip. By the end, I have a rough draft, ready for revising.

I've done it for three years now, the first time in 2003. I also met my now husband at one of the after parties, so there's a special sweetness to the event for me.

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited September 28, 2007).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been thinking about this years story quite a bit. It's an idea I've been juggling around with for a few years now and this year I actually might use NaNo to begin it. NaNo give's me the perfect chance to actually write it without neglecting my current WIP

I've done the last two years, though failed miserably at both by only reaching 25k in the month -_-

Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AstroStewart
Member # 2597

- posted      Profile for AstroStewart   Email AstroStewart         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still undecided on if I'm doing it again this year. I used last year to get the first half of my WIP's rough draft done, but since then I haven't actually finished it yet, and the next novel I have in mind is its sequel, so I'm not sure I want to start it without finishing the last one...

But I did successfully manage it last year.

Posts: 280 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
I did my first NaNo last year and enjoyed it a lot. I managed a little over the fifty thousand and finished the story with a few days to go. At the time, I had thought it would an almost impossible feat, but since then I had written a 120,000 word novel is less than that!

What's my stratagy? Last year, I didn't even have an idea of a story two days before it began, the day before I came up with a first scene and it started from there. I have so many ideas for stories but nothing concrete. I don't tend to plan anyway, so I'll probably just start 1st November and see what happends.

annepin, that's a wonderful story; I might be tempted to go to an after party myself now!

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
> I've done the last two years, though failed miserably at both by only reaching 25k in the month -_-

Only 25K words in a month is a failure?

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricia V
Member # 6324

- posted      Profile for Tricia V   Email Tricia V         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a plan to do this this year, but I don't think it's a bad way to go. I worked from an outline in 2004, when I "won" (made it to the finish line) and in 2006 when I got about 36k in before I suddenly felt I was doing something wrong.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheOnceandFutureMe
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't done it before, but I think I will this year. I could always use another motivating force to actually sit down and write.

Forget my GPA (ha) and social life (HA!), I'm going for it.

Ben

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
I plan to do it this year, annepin.

We're talking about doing a novel workshop on one of the other writing boards I participate in, if you're interested.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm doing it, for the third time. Failed once, succeeded once. I'm trying to break the stalemat in favor of success this year.

My strategy is to not plan our outline very much, and just write and see where it gets me. I usually have a rough idea of where the story is headed to, but I love so very much being surprised by what my characters do throughout the book. I've learned to treat my characters as separate people with their own motivations/desires/etc, that are completely outside of my control. They just run amok and do what they do.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hunter
Member # 4991

- posted      Profile for Hunter   Email Hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
I participated for two years, but took last year off. I had too much going on at the time, but I still missed it. I plan to participate this year. I always enjoy the boards there too.
Posts: 83 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amator
Member # 6517

- posted      Profile for Amator           Edit/Delete Post 
This will be my first attempt. Greenville apparantly has a core group of NaNoWriMo devotees who host opening and closing parties, weekly write-ins, and other support.

At this point I'm reading the book "No Plot No Problem" about NaNoWriMo and outlining the three projects in contention for November.

Posts: 20 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
50000 is rather short of a novel that i would wright.
my shortest book i am working on has 150000 words and still is only 75%compleat.

sounds like it could be rather fun to me to try to wright a 50000 word novel.

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meg.stout
Member # 6193

- posted      Profile for meg.stout   Email meg.stout         Edit/Delete Post 
So my username on nanowrimo is:

meg.stout

and I've added a couple of buddies - anyone else want to hook up before the writing crunch occurs?

Posts: 336 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Fifty thousand words is a short novel.

And my longest novel didn't even reach one hundred fifty thousand words. I have hopes for my incomplete current novel, which took a full year to reach one hundred thousand words, but I'm planning to go back and start revising it once I get back from vacation.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meg.stout
Member # 6193

If you have done NaNoWriMo before but have despaired because you are in the midst of a work in progress, check out Zokutou.

Zokutou has nifty progress bars you can put in various places to advertise your progress...

Posts: 336 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricia V
Member # 6324

What the hey, I'm in. Though it may just be guilt for cancelling the campout with ya'll this weekend.

I guess a screen play for LDS Film Festival should keep me busy until Nov 1.

Posts: 104 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
I must admit that I am one of those people who doesn't understand the concept. I don't understand spending a month writing a novel that would be too short to market. (And I don't mean to put down people who do it at all. It's me. I don't get it. )

I'll finish my current novel soon and will be in the depths of editing that and an earlier novel that I've decided to pull out and try reworking. So no, I won't take part. But good luck and have fun to everyone who does.

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in, going over to nano to create my account (hopefully this same handle.)

And JeanneT - uh, OK. But 50k IS salable in certain markets (Children's and YA fiction, for instance). And much of the point of Nano isn't to sell the resulting manuscript anyway. You should read up on it, the guy who started it just wants to get people WRITING. Isn't that good enough?

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hunter
Member # 4991

- posted      Profile for Hunter   Email Hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, 50,000 words can just be the first third of the novel. I took my nano one year and in December added another 30,000 to it. After nano that 30,000 seemed like a breeze.
Posts: 83 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KaliAngelKat
Member # 4064

- posted      Profile for KaliAngelKat   Email KaliAngelKat         Edit/Delete Post 
I am doing it this year, though friends tell me that I am pushing too hard on this.

I was part of it last year, but was unable to do any writing due to illness. This year it is all for proving that I can do this.

My straegy is that right now I am using Ywriter to do basic outlines for the scenes so I have ideas of what is where when I start writing. I also have bio basics for my main and secondary charries.

I see 50k in a month as a way of getting used to writing under pressure. Writers do that when facing a deadline. It also helps with setting a writing routine.

My nick on the site is KaliAngelKat if anyone wants to buddy up.

~Bonnie~

Posts: 17 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

- posted      Profile for mrmeadors   Email mrmeadors         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm doing it as well, for the fifth time. I won all four times I've tried it previously .

While Chris at NaNo advocates it as an opportunity to write a novel from start to finish in a month, I always just write my 50,000 words and continue on to wherever the novel ends (usually about 80k). I've never "ended" a novel at 50k. What some people do is write until they reach about 40-45k, and then, if they want to say they "finished" their novel, they skip ahead to a point close to the ending and just finish it off from there. They fill in the blanks when they re-write it.

And if anyone is deciding not to do it because they don't think they have time for it, think about this: I'm only able to write about three hours a day. 5 at the very most. Once you're on a roll, you can get through the 1667 words per day quite easily. And what I find to be the key is, during the first week, while you are all psyched up, get through as many words as possible, to make a little store for later, when things might not come as easily. Also, start writing at midnight on Nov. 1st, and go for as long as you can. You'll get twice the writing done in one day, because after you wake up, it's a whole new writing day .

mel

Posts: 223 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm scared at the thought of a 200,000 word tome written completely by you Rommel.

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited October 27, 2007).]

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meg.stout
Member # 6193

If anyone wants to add me as a buddy, you can go to my provile at:

http://www.nanowrimo.org/user/137421

and just click the "add as buddy" link under my picture.

Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Due to a temporary loss in sanity...I've decided to join in the craziness. 50k can't be that hard? Can it?
Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
thank you Zero. i dont know if i should feel honered or frightened.

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

PS I shall go and have a stiff drink to end the pain in my head.
even more frightning is that that is only book 1 of 7.

[This message has been edited by Rommel Fenrir Wolf II (edited October 12, 2007).]

Tricia V
Member # 6324

I had a pretty detailed outline worked out my first year, and that guided me through pretty well. That might benefit me again, to at least have 25 scene/chapter seeds that I can choose from. I know I sometimes skipped around my outline.
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
I did mine in September, so I'll pass this year.
Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

Yay! I'm so glad to see others joining in! I'm a bit scared since I have nothing this year, no outline, no scene, no characters, no idea. Usually I have something. We'll see what happens!

Here's my profile if you want to add me as a buddy:
http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/137104 .

Happy writing!

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

Me neither, annepin. Looks like we need to get together and thrash out a couple of good plots. I know I want to write fantasy/science fiction, for young adults, but as far as anything else... my notepad is empty!
Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Warbric
Member # 2178

- posted      Profile for Warbric   Email Warbric         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually go into NaNo with the flimsiest of ideas, use every stupid trick I can conjure to keep going, and -- most importantly -- try my best to coax the muse from behind the dreaded inner editor so we can play and just have a little fun.

Yeah, I'm in for another run. Same username there as here. Going non-medieval/non-European fantasy this year.

Posts: 151 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm partway to a plot. I have a world, and a couple characters, and a handful of possible ideas, and most of all...not enough time!

There are still aspects of the govt to finish hashing (although I have most of it defined enough.) I have to come up with a religion that is unique to the planet (since religion was not something brought to the colony, it just happens at it always does). Then there is the type of humans that show up from outside the colony.

Still, having a decent grasp of the main entity that drives the initial plot...that does help a good bit.

Nano Profile

[This message has been edited by Lord Darkstorm (edited October 25, 2007).]

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KaliAngelKat
Member # 4064

- posted      Profile for KaliAngelKat   Email KaliAngelKat         Edit/Delete Post 
I added all of you that linked to your profiles!

One week and counting, are we going insane yet??

Posts: 17 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

Um, I though the moment we committed to doing nano we took on the mantel of insane?

I do have to admit, it's been fun trying to create an entire world in the matter of a couple weeks.

darklight
Member # 5213

Here's my profile if anyone wants to add me. All I can say is good luck to everyone!

My NaNo Profile

[This message has been edited by darklight (edited October 26, 2007).]

kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in. I'm kings_falcon there too.

50,000 words is only 1,667 words per day. It means you have to get the internal editor off your shoulder. It's fun and exhausting. Also, December is National Finish Your Novel month. So . . .

[This message has been edited by kings_falcon (edited October 26, 2007).]

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are all getting me fired up.
I don't think I am going to do NaNoWriMo, I am pretty involved in the novel I am writing right now. . .
BUT
In the spirit of NaNoWriMo, I am GOING to finish my novel in the month of November.
*gulp* I'm only about 1/2 way done, but I am going to do it. If you all can write 50,000 words next month, then I can finish my novel.

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricia V
Member # 6324

Well, first I was out, then I was in, then I was out, but now I think I'm in.
Sunshine
Member # 3701

- posted      Profile for Sunshine   Email Sunshine         Edit/Delete Post 
Nanowrimo sounds interesting, thanks for letting those of us who have never heard of it in on the secret.
My username is SpokaneSunshine.

Posts: 90 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

Thanks to a conversation with my daughter a few nights ago, I now have a plot! All I need do now is outline a few scenes.
Leigh
Member # 2901

darklight, I added you as a buddy, lol. I would like a couple more
Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

I added everyone who put links here, but I can't seem to find a way to search for people on the nano site. So please clue me in on how to search for you, or post a link to your profile, and I'd love to link to the rest of you.

Just 3 more days! Awesome.

Leigh
Member # 2901

http://www.nanowrimo.org/user/122227

That's my profile if anyone wants to add

Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose I should get off the pot and let you all know I'm writing this year as well.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/88875

Has anyone started a group on the NaNo Boards?

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Warbric
Member # 2178

- posted      Profile for Warbric   Email Warbric         Edit/Delete Post 
mrmeadors, you're right about starting at midnight, going to bed, and it's a whole new writing day when you wake later the same day. Not only does writing twice a day in what's actually a single session feel like you're making great progress, it can also be good fun, like when you're in a "word war" with someone.

I was in a "word-war" with a buddy last year. I'd write until just before midnight and post the numbers for that day, and then I'd continue beyond midnight for a bit.

Meanwhile, my buddy would go to bed thinking he had a slight lead on me only to wake up and find himself a couple thousand words behind me again! While it was funny to confound him like that, it did succeed in motivating him to not slack off.

Also, where mrmeadors mentioned going like gang-busters in the first week to build a cushion towards the doldrums in the middle is really good advice.

Warbric's NaNo Profile

Posts: 151 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on the same page as wrenbird, now committed to finishing my own novel. Which is at 30k words and needing an additional 70k. But hey, miracles can happen, and I have great notes and outlines.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

Yeah, i try to get as much written early as possible. Esp with thanksgiving in the middle of it (nothing like family to keep you from writing! sheesh.) I also start an Excel spreadsheet, calculate my target word count for each day (50,000/ 30), my actual word count, and my short fall/ overage for each day.

Okay, I think I added everyone that had links here. Kings_falcon, i can't find you...

Zero and Wrenbird, good luck on your books! There's always Nano '08.

kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
This is me: http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/135141

Can't wait.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunshine
Member # 3701

- posted      Profile for Sunshine   Email Sunshine         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.nanowrimo.org/user/226507
Posts: 90 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Graff
Member # 2648

- posted      Profile for 'Graff   Email 'Graff         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to get my act together this year. Hopefully all goes well and I become a NaNoWinner.
Posts: 114 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.