Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Making characters forget something, chemically

Author Topic: Making characters forget something, chemically
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
For my WIP a group of people induce memory loss to my MC, in order to "re-educate" him. What is something that can, or sounds like it can, induce memory loss?
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
tequila?
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

seriously, though. You could use extremely narrow beam electrical impulses to destroy parts of the brain where memory is stored, but that's complicated, as a memory that involves several different aspects of the brain - taste, sight, sound, smell, would all have bits of the memory stored in different places. Plus, you'd have to go in and stimulate different spots until you found the one you were looking for.

For you're purposes, I am guessing a type of hypnosis (if the person is succeptible) or even brainwashing, a la Clockwork Orange, were you associate a horrible pain or sickness with the memory, would keep most people from accessing it.

Helpful?

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
What about that operation they showed on HOUSE? The "False Memory" episode. That sounded neat -- for such a thing.

I think it was some sort of electro shock to specific parts of his brain. He was still fully functional but had lost his past????

I looked a little like the places where they used to -- two hunded years ago? -- used to hit the head to turn people into idiots????

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited October 05, 2007).]

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
It's simple. What you do is--uh...
I forgot...

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kurim21
Member # 5695

- posted      Profile for Kurim21   Email Kurim21         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy the concept of thoughts having a physical impact on the brain becuase of the electrical impulses and the like. Each thought and memory would have a unique impact. So in theory if you could inhibit the specific combination of impulses, the person couldn't recall the memory. And if you took this further, you could create memory by artificially applying the right impusles. Basically the human brain is a computer. You can add and delete files and programs. Of course every brain would probably require different impusles so the technology would have to be very advanced. Perhaps a type of nanotechnology or something. Sorry about being so long winded.
Posts: 23 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

You know, nano-technology would be a great way to go. I think I would look at using that myself if I was writing a story abour brain alteration. They could invade the entire brain, root out all bits of memory, and fry it all at once, then take the debris back out with them. But it would be a permanent change, and you couldn't recall it later. The Killashandra series also had a plot revolving around memory loss and retrievall - the memory was stored in an external memory keeper, then given back to the person when they wanted it. I don't remember the deets, though. I read it a long time ago.
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
Ruhypnol or the date rape drug causes short term memory loss. There are also a host of other drugs that CAN cause memory loss from Lipitor to Xanax.

If you are talking about "re-education" or "brainwashing" then memory loss is less of an issue than perception modification.

The techniques for brainwashing are generally a combination of diet manipulation coupled with drug therapy, usually a hallucinagenic like LSD.

Have fun with it.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

OK well all good ideas, but for my purpose I need something that is intended to "wipe out memories" but it doesn't work, the character loses those memories for a while, but they start coming back.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
What about extracting the memories, instead of wiping them out, storing them someplace else--kind of like this guy uses the interface between a computer, his brain, and a microchip:

Real Human Cyborg

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited October 05, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
The problem there is whether the memories are short term or long term.

Short term memory would be easy to wipe out, think of it as RAM, simply short circuiting the process and keeping it from being written to long term memory.

Long term is more like ROM and you'd need to actually corrupt or destroy the storage unit to get rid of the data, which makes recalling it later much more different.

A possible out would be they have a procedure that wipes short term memory, but the individual has already processed it to long term momory. Because he has lost his short term memory he might very likely lose the ability to recall the pertinent information because he no longer has the memories to put it in context. Think of mislabelling a file, later as he rebuilds the context of why the info is pertinent he is able to once again access the info that has been stored long term.

That sound workable?

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
Have their children write the thing you want forgotten in their planners. Sure-fire way to make sure it doesn't get remembered.
Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

haha oliverhouse...

hmm well, let me create an example of the kind of thing I'm aiming at.

[for the record this is not my story]
Imagine a guy, Jim, he's a secret agent for the US, and Russia capture him, they chemically induce him with something that will keep him intact and functioning, except corrupt his long term memory (theoretically), but it doesn't work (maybe he unknowingly resists it somehow) So, when he "Wakes up" he doesn't remember much, except for some short term memory, and gradually things start coming back to him in bits and pieces, until that big moment when AH-hA! it all fits together.

Is there some kind of chemical or fictional-procedure that would fir for a job like this?

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I think any chemical that could be used would cause brain damage. For example: Sodium Thiopental, Thiopentone Sodium, Trapanal (Sodium Pentathol) used in conjunction with hypnotherapy has been around since the Cold War, not only as a truth serum, but, as regression therapy and implanting false memories/suppressing real ones. If not carefully administered, it can cause medically-induced comas, pulmonary oedema, cadiac failure, airway obstruction, and permanent brain damage.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited October 05, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
From the story outline, it sounds like you're looking for plain amnesia. If you really want something more selective, the article on Lacunar amnesia has some interesting ideas.
Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

watch manchurian candidate
Vanderbleek
Member # 6535

- posted      Profile for Vanderbleek   Email Vanderbleek         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know if this will be terribly helpful, but anyway...

I was reading a magazine (Discover most likely) and it mentioned that important people and events have a single cell devoted to remembering them. I thought that it was interesting, so I logged it away.

Now, if they could go in and "delete" these cells, it should be like removing something off a drive; the computer (or brain) still functions, but the data just isn't there. Now if they didn't delete it but put it in a different directory, or tried to overwrite it, or bypass it...they could pick the stuff they want him to remember, make him forget what they don't, and maybe even transplant new cells in...

Just a thought.

Posts: 50 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
Zero, sounds like a story I wrote last year. The MC has his memory removed by an injection of some kind of memory blocker, then slowly, with prompts from sight, sound, smell, etc, he begins to remember. Doesn't help you very much though; it wasn't important how his memory was removed, but what he discovered when he got it back.

Sorry I couldn't be of help.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

I guess the main question is, having decided that it was done through introducing a drug by injection -- or else consumption, what do I call this drug. I just need something that sounds like it could maybe/theoretically work, in a sci-fi world, and that's good enough for me.
Actionman2go
Member # 6549

- posted      Profile for Actionman2go   Email Actionman2go         Edit/Delete Post 
Using a popular search engine, I found this article that suggests memories form as molten glass and then cool down into a solid for later recall. I think that a cue. Turning the article upside down and "injecting" a little imagination would supply a key plot element.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/earth/2007/07/01/scimemo101.xml

Posts: 5 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Make up a name. Most drug names these days use letters not often in use elsewhere in english - x, z. Play with it.

I would have been able to remember my grandma if it weren't for the near-lethal dose of Zerotrope I was given before being inducted into the SSI.

Xanalax (lax usually = laxative, so you could do this for, literally, sh!ts and giggles.)

Memoxone
Memoroxy (roxy for short - like how most street drugs get short names)
Mathalane
Mixtrictane
Xipiran

Yes, I could do this all day (DH used to work in the pharma industry...)

Zenalt
Lithaxilt
Azikza (azzy)
Artorz

Play with some word that means memory, dig up latin roots, etc (many drug names are based on latin roots and their meaning, followed by countless focus groups and market research to make sure there aren't any unanticipated consequences of name, followed by thorough internet search for existence of name and domain ownership...you get the idea.)

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

I ws watching Gothika with the kids last night and hoticed that they use a spliced together name for the antipsychotic Halle Berry gets.

The issue with a memory loss drug, I think, would be that you couldn't target it to a specific memory. If you gave the person the drug, and then stimulated the memories you wanted them to loose by making them talk about it, for instance. If the drug was designed to work on the neurons that were firing while the drug was active, that could work. You'd still have problems with the fuzzy nature of memory, though, and the way memories are stored in different parts of the brain. It's a redundant system. But using this method would also have a built in explanation for how the memory could return.

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Following on from Deb's thought, I think the drug would need to be specific because if the character lost all long term memory that would include language, for example, as well as any special skills and knowledge that made him a secret agent: he or she would not be able to function in this state.

The movie 'Paycheck' had an ingenious solution to this. There were two drugs. The first was a kind of 'marker', and the second erased all long term memories acquired since the marker injection. Some kind of nanotechnology, as was suggested earlier, performing the marker function might also be believeable.

Just 2c,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The G-Bus Man
Member # 6019

- posted      Profile for The G-Bus Man   Email The G-Bus Man         Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed a few movies that have this being mentioned - Paycheck, Manchurian Candidate, that one episode of House...don't know if Total Recall was mentioned but I think it was. But I'm surprised that no one's mentioned Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (perhaps I shouldn't be surprised since it seems like no one saw that move ), which actually delves into more of the real science of memory removal than any of the other movies and really is more about memory modification itself moreso than merely the consequences of amnesia like the others.
Posts: 87 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamieFord
Member # 3112

- posted      Profile for JamieFord   Email JamieFord         Edit/Delete Post 
Versed. It's a real drug. It's what they give patients in the ER just before they set a broken bone. (Or various other procedures with LOTS of pain). It causes temporary memory loss. It hurts, but you don't remember it. Sort of like a tree falling in the forest making a sound, isn't it. Except in this case, the sound is a person screaming "AAAAAGGGH THAT HURTS!!!!"
Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's go back to something debhoag said (after the tequila).

quote:
...a memory that involves several different aspects of the brain - taste, sight, sound, smell, would all have bits of the memory stored in different places.

Zero - you want the wipe to fail and the memories to start coming back.

Since pieces of an individual memory can be all over the place, the wipers could take care of the brain's "index" and also get portions of the memory, but miss a component. The memory is still there, but he has to find a different trigger; he smells a household cleaner and a memory starts coming back along secondary links, gradually reconstructing itself along different pathways than usual, sort of like what happens when someone suffers brain damage and has to learn to do everyday things over again, redirecting pathways.

Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

for someone who has no time to think, you're pretty darn sharp!
Zero
Member # 3619

Excellent, yes, yes I love it. Thanks for all the help and ideas!
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
That's sort of how it worked in - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. (See, two of us watched it).

Jim Carey's character decided to fight the memory wipe and "hid" the memory. Because he was able to save part of the memory, he could reconstruct it and help the girl do the same.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Notime, I love that idea. Using computer analogies, you could just erase the index - the pointers to the memories...and have the character have to rebuild the index via associations he re-experiences or pieces back together via the different triggers. Excellent!

And I have seen Eternal Sunshine! I found it interesting. It was one of those movies that really stuck with me for a long time, which is typically a good thing, but I also found myself really worried during part of the movie (I have a thing about gore in film - can't tolerate it - and was worried at one point that there was going to be some) so that distracted me. It was an excellent movie, though. I think based on a book, right?

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.