Hatrack River Writers Workshop
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » The new Dumbledore (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The new Dumbledore
wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
I am sure many of you have heard the lastest news about the Harry Potter series. According to J.K. Rowling, Dumbledore is apparently gay.
When I first read this, I went through various stages of shock. After thinking about it for a while, I kind of feel like this move broke the readers trust.

Now, let me first emphasize that I have no problem with homosexuals, or gay characters in books for that matter. That is not what this is about for me. (Although, some people really will have a problem with it.)For me, this is about Rowling releasing a HUGE piece of information after the series has been written, that, to me, doesn't seem to be what she always had in mind when she wrote them. I looked back through the books and I just didn't see the any clues or subtle indications of him being gay. I mean, yes, Dumbledore was a single, old guy who had never married, but that's not enough for me. There should have been several fairly specific clues laid down for the reader from book one.

But, suppose Rowling did truly see Dumbledore as gay from the very beginning, that begs the question of why didn't she have Harry/the reader discover this in one of the books? Is this normal for authors to reveal a large element of a major character after the series has ended?

I guess I just feel a bit unsettled either way. On the one hand, I don't like the idea of a author revealing a big detail after the fact. But, even worse would be if she hadn't really written it that way at first, and is now saying it for shock value, or an attempt to be PC, or who knows why. What do you think?

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, I'm certain this latest twist is a new invention and not something planned from the beginning. Sort of like an elaborate after-thought she's trying to squish in there, and I just don't buy it. It also damages my perception of the character because, like you pointed out, it just doesn't seem consistent with the character described in the books.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that the time to declare Dumbledore's orientation was in the books. (Of course I would have hated that too. Just my opinion.) The text stands alone. This goes back to something I see sometimes in frag and feed, people say "what you have to know to understand this is . . ." If it is something we need to know it should be in the text. It is not. (and I hope JK doesn't pull a Lucas and re-master the Harry Potter series.)

My Dumbledore isn't gay. But of course my Harry Potter should have hooked up with my Luna Lovegood. The author certainly has the right to comment on her own work, but after the fact it is just another commentary. She gets to decide what she meant but she does not get to decide what it means to me.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, thinking of how certain characters relate to each other can give some oomph to them as portrayed in the story...though the relationship itself need not show in the finished work.

I recall a book (I think I read it, but I might've just read the reviews), that discussed which characters in Hollywood movies were gay, or that the audience were intended to think were gay (back in the bad old days where it couldn't be said aloud), and how these characters and their sexual orientation enhanced various movies and storylines. The one I chiefly remember is Captain Reynaud (Claude Rains) from "Casablanca," and his relationship with Rick (Humphrey Bogart), and where it spills into the plot and dialog. There are certainly others in Hollywood history.

(I'm always at a loss over Harry Potter. I've only read Book One---I can't say anything there made me think that Dumbledore was gay---he seemed a typical (or stereotypical) elderly British schoolmaster, although one with a deep background that (I presume) came out further in the later books.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
Don;t really mind or care...

After reading the news piece, I can say that the description and tone of his relationship with Gindelwald had a "sacharrine" quality to it, that made me think of love unfulfilled, so on some level I am not really surprised.

However the series was already high on the bigot hit list because it was "satanic" (pronounced with a thick southern accent) Dumbledore being a poof just gives them another reason to pan/ban the series. Which is a shame.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamieFord
Member # 3112

- posted      Profile for JamieFord   Email JamieFord         Edit/Delete Post 
This just in--The Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz is gay. Along with Chewbacca, Gandalf, and Data from ST-TNG.

What is the point of announcing this now? It's not germane to the story in any way? Doesn't she get enough press? I agree with the previous poster--if he's gay, write him in as a gay character. Otherwise, what does it matter?

Or did an editor remove that part of the storyline? I know she's said she wrote detailed character descriptions before she dove into the books, but is seems so...arbitrary now.

[This message has been edited by JamieFord (edited October 20, 2007).]

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
wrenbird (et al?), I think you're showing a fairly sheltered world view by stating that JK Rowling was cheating by not revealing this particular piece of information in the text. As stated elsewhere, it didn't have anything to do with anything. She didn't go around proclaiming all the heterosexual people as straight either, because what's the point?

And to pre-answer a question, she only 'released' this information in response to a question posed by a reader at a Q&A session. It wasn't a publicity stunt (seriously... you think she needs the publicity?) or a political statement. As a matter of fact, she seemed kind of surprised at the reaction.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
halogen
Member # 6494

- posted      Profile for halogen   Email halogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I disagree.

I don't think it is necessary to say "oh yeah, this character is gay". Present characters as how they are.

Also, there are plenty of situations where the author had more depth to his/her world but couldn't fit it into the books. Think of Discworld, Ringworld and Middle Earth.

Posts: 207 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There should have been several fairly specific clues laid down for the reader from book one.

Why?

WHAT in god's name did it have to do with anything? Any writer of a substantial fantasy will have tons and I mean TONS of backstory on all their important characters and their fantasy world that will never make it into the books. Unless it had to do with the plot--which it didn't--there was absolutely NO reason this should have been put in.

The last thing Rowling needs is a tiny bit of extra publicity. She might be amused by a few extra book burnings (and not only down south), but this will at most add a few hundred to the billion she already has.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited October 20, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
I think that some are missing the point here - the reason (total speculation on my part, but based on a guess about shared worldview) that it hadn't come up before is that to Rowling - it's NOT a big deal. It apparently is to many others, but her not revealing it via the books is because it had...wait for it...
NOTHING TO DO WITH PLOT.

Why would his being gay have any relevance to the story? She already wrote massive works, why would we need the additional details about someone who, while significant, is not the main character? We learn as writers to cut cut cut anything that doesn't serve the plot. Don't you think even if she HAD put something in the story about his sexual orientation (which as a reader I personally would have felt it was out of place) that her editors would have cut that as they worked to edit the manuscript? I have to assume there are big chunks of backstory laying around.

Either way, though, I feel bad that this announcement may change how some feel about the books or the character. It's really enlightening to me to see how personally so many (myself included) take these books, this work, and how a detail like this can change things for a reader (or as one poster pointed out, the reader can choose to tune them out.) I don't know that I realized the incredible power of the author before this.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrenbird
Member # 3245

I think some of you are really misunderstanding my point. I completely agree, 100%, absolutely that Dumbledore's sexuality had nothing to do with the plot and therefore had no place in the story. Check. We all agree there.
I'm not saying it should have been in the story. I'm saying it is inconsitant with the character she wrote, so it leads one to believe that she had come to this idea much later. In which case, her announcing it seems a bit confusing. Believe it or not, despite my alleged "sheltered world view" I think ones sexual orientation is usually irrelevant (except in the bedroom of course. . . )

I was merely discussing Rowling's choice. See, obviously, we all have back story that never gets in the book, and some people even talk about alot of it after the fact, but we are not dealing with any old fantasy story. The series is HUGE; it has an enormous following and an enormous amount of press. Given this fact, I wanted to start a discussion of why Rowling chose to reveal a fairly controversial fact about a central character in her story after the fact, why she revealed it at all. Oh, and its not like she said it to one random fan in response to a question, it was at a press covered event with 2000 people in the audience. So, she knew this would become big news, you can't deny that.

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
halogen
Member # 6494

How is it inconstant?
Posts: 207 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see that Dumbledore being gay is inconsistent with the story. I think it would only be inconsistent if one expected gay people to behave differently from otherly-sexually-oriented people when greeting a hall full of children over dinner at the start of term, coaching a brilliant young wizard, and dealing with Volde-- sorry, He Who Must Not Be Named.

In the news report I read JKR said it had always been in the back story; indeed, at one point she had to tell the film director to stop D having a liason with a female. I see no reason to believe she made it up later.

If D's sexuality has no bearing on the story, and if we're not judgmental about him being gay, it's not controversial.

Why'd she reveal it at the press conference? The newspaper report I read said it was in response to a fan's question. JKR also said the books were about tolerance.

I think that in a tolerant society there would be no fuss, no controversy. It wouldn't be news, not headlines anyway. I like to think that she's chosen to reveal it now in an attempt to use what influence she has to promote tolerance.

Just 2c,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
And perhaps we can look forward to some more delicious back story items ...

Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AstroStewart
Member # 2597

- posted      Profile for AstroStewart   Email AstroStewart         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to have to agree with Pyre Dynasty here. One of the wonderful thing about books is that each reader brings something into it, and half-creates the world in their head alongside the author. The physical picture in my head of Harry Potter and all its characters may be quite different from the one in yours (well, until the movies came out, at which point we all probably saw the characters in our minds begin to resemble the corresponding actors... but that's another point entirely), because all descriptive information and essentially everything in a novel is interpreted differently in each of our heads.

Many times, as I read about "extra material" authors put in about characters after the fact, in fact I would say most of the times that happens, I don't care. I build the characters and events in my mind as I read along. And if I mispronounce a character's name for an entire series, well, in my mind that now IS the character's name. If an author tells me after the fact that a character was abused as a child, or once had a pet dog named spot, or is homosexual, and that information just doesn't seem to jive with the character I've created in my mind, then frankly, I disregard it. If it was vital to the plot, that info would be in the book. The fact that it's not, means that it wasn't, so I'm going to continue right along with the character I have in my mind.

Sometimes I'll even go farther than that. I recall when the last Star Trek: Next Gen. movie came out, I personally thought that the film reeked of "fanfic" type plotlines, and when (SPOILER ALERT if you care but somehow haven't seen this movie, Star Trek: Nemesis, then don't read the rest of this paragraph!!!) when Data died at the end of it, I was sufficiently fed up with enough of the plot of the movie to decide that this movie "didn't happen." In my Star Trek universe in my head, Data is alive. But that's an extreme, when compared to having a heterosexual Dumbledore in my personal Harry Potter universe.

For that matter, I don't really have a heterosexual Dumbledore in my head. I have essentially an asexual Dumbledore in my head. One who was so overwhelmed with the problems of the world on his shoulders from a relatively early age that he went without love or physical attraction for his entire life. A kind of celibate monk-wizard type figure. But that's my Dumbledore. Some people may have had a homosexual Dumbledore in their heads before Rowling even said anything. Some will change their Dumbledore after hearing this announcement, bowing to the will of the author. And some, like me, don't really care what the author wants to throw into the series, after the fact. What's done is done, and the image of my Dumbledore stopped evolving with the last book. She can say Dumbledore was actually a frog-turned-wizard by some magic spell for all I care, it's not going to affect the world in MY head unless I so choose.
Just my 2 cents.

Posts: 280 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kurim21
Member # 5695

- posted      Profile for Kurim21   Email Kurim21         Edit/Delete Post 
I was fairly sure Dumbledore was gay as I read the seventh book. I convinced myself during a conversation with a slash fan (fan fiction using characters from published works that basically make any character homosexual for the purposes of the story). I argued that the only canon for a gay character was Dumbledore. I called it. WOOT. The news doesn't ruin anything in the stories for me, but I can sympathize with others who had different Dumbledores in their heads. I tend to adhere to an author's designs for his/her world even after publication.
Posts: 23 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
AstroStewart has my vote.

While an author is writing, the book belongs to them. They can throw anything in there that they want. But once the book is completed, it belongs to the reader, who brings their own experiences to the story when they interpret what was written.

Now that Rowling has released this bit of extra information, I'm sure there will be people who haven't read the book who will read "everything you need to know about Harry Potter" before they read the actual books (probably for a literature class - why else would you?), so they will have a gay Dumbledore - who will behave in a manner that their personal experience dictates.

My Dumbledore is still the one I read in the books.

Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
As a literary device, having this in a character's background seems valid to me. One character is gay...and, I gather from here and from news reports, he loved another character...and this affected his subsequent behavior and relationships...but this does not come into the books outright.

There's a lot that can't be said, at least from what's been reported. Further reading on my part might tell me more...I plan to some day, but, even now, on vacation, I just haven't had the time.

There seems to be different categories of response to this bit of information. (1) Those who are fine with it, and (2) those who are not. And the latter seems to divide into two sub-categories: (a) those who are angry with Rowling for not revealing it in the books, or (b) those who don't like the idea at all.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Well... yeah. Thinking about it there is absolutely no legitimate criticism I can make of this, especially in light of more information--that it wasn't a publicity stunt--but I'm still predisposed to think this is outrageously stupid, because that is a major change to a character who I had already "figured out" in my brain many, many years ago.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

quote:
I'm not saying it should have been in the story. I'm saying it is inconsitant with the character she wrote, so it leads one to believe that she had come to this idea much later.
Huh?!

Inconsistent in EXACTLY what way? She should have shown him--how? That leads one to think you are saying gay men should only be represented in very stereotypical ways. I hope that is not what you are saying.

My honest reaction to this storm pretty much over nothing is that she answered a fan's question about backstory. So what?

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited October 21, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grant John
Member # 5993

- posted      Profile for Grant John   Email Grant John         Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to remember hearing that Rowling was going to write a sort of encyclopedia of Harry Potter and his universe. If she does/did and reveals something new (either if Dumbledore remained un-outed to then or about a different character) is that an accepted bit of 'new' information because it comes in a printed and published form?

I agree that in my mind Dumbledore was asexual.

As to misinterpreting characters, in Feist's Magician and subsequent books Thomas who is clearly and repeatedly mentioned as blonde, will always in my mind have black hair. I know I am wrong, but I imagined him that way first, and that is the way he will always stay.

Grant John

PS It wasn't Chewbacca who was gay, it was C3PO

Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricia V
Member # 6324

- posted      Profile for Tricia V   Email Tricia V         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think this will change my opinion on him much. I can definitely see the Grindewald angle.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
JeanneT:

quote:
That leads one to think you are saying gay men should only be represented in very stereotypical ways. I hope that is not what you are saying.

This is too perfect to pass up. I apologize in advance.

"It'th lucky it'th dark. I haven't bluthed tho much thince Madame Pomfrey told me thee liked my new earmuffth."

An awfully syrupy voice filled the kitchen, echoing in the confined space, issuing from the burning letter on the table.

"REMEMBER MY LATHT, PETUNIA."

"We both know there are other wayth of dethtroying a man, Tom." Dumbledore said with a flick of the wrist. "Merely taking your life would not thatithfy me, I admit--"

I'm glad we just finished book 7 here at my house. Reading time would have taken on an interesting quality otherwise... I wonder if I could have worked that lisp smoothly into the old-man-Sean-Connery voice I invented for Dumbledore...

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheOnceandFutureMe
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
When I heard J.K. Rowling said that Dumbledore was gay my reaction was "No. He's not." If I can't explain to my reader what I really meant after they read it, then neither can JKR. I had the same reaction when she gave that interview where she told what all the side characters professions ended up being. If it's not in the book, it didn't happen.

[This message has been edited by TheOnceandFutureMe (edited October 21, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by TheOnceandFutureMe (edited October 21, 2007).]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrenbird
Member # 3245

quote:
That leads one to think you are saying gay men should only be represented in very stereotypical ways. I hope that is not what you are saying.

I was waiting for someone to cry "intolerant."
No, JeanneT, that's not what I'm saying.

I guess, as some of you have put it, Dumbledore being gay is inconsistant with MY reading of him. I too saw him as asexual. I would have raised an equally high eyebrow had JK Rowling said that Dumbledore had secret liasons with McGonagall.
Yeah . . . I'd rather keep the words Dumbledore and any kind of sexuality out of the same sentance.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Well, since, apparently, there's nothing overt in this relationship in the books, it would seem that, (1) Dumbledore had this crush on another magician, and (2) it never went beyond that. And, also apparently, (3) Dumbledore had no other overt relationship with any person of any sex.

(I didn't particularly want to say "intolerant" of any of the offered criticism of the idea, but, yeah, I was thinking it.)

Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
"I'd rather keep the words Dumbledore and any kind of sexuality out of the same sentance[sic]."

Think about it as a storyteller for a moment. Whose point of view was the story delivered through? Harry's.

The capacity in which Dumbledore related to Harry? Headmaster and mentor.

Why the hell WOULD his sexuality come into play?

So it didn't make it into the books. Think about your own personal school heroes/mentors (if you had any.. I guess I'm just assuming here). Did their sexuality ever enter into your life? Did you then assume asexuality? (Which, come to think of it, is just as arbitrary as homosexuality, except it supports the events of the story LESS.)

Afterwards, a reader asked a question about one of the author's characters. You are basically angry that she didn't, a) keep her mouth shut and say, "Sorry! Can't tell you.. wasn't in the books!" or, b) change her mind about her pre-established character's backstory to better mesh with your personal worldview.

And this notion that an author has no privileged position when it comes to the interpretation of their stories (the so-called intentionalist fallacy) is crap. Of course they have a say. Just as you have a say in your own stories.

Interpretations are open, of course, and you have the right to raise an eyebrow. Doesn't mean it didn't happen or wasn't true.

And you may not be saying that all gay men should be depicted in stereotypical ways, but you sure are suggesting it. Or your writing is being unclear, because at least three people have independently arrived at the same conclusion.

[This message has been edited by Rahl22 (edited October 22, 2007).]

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RobertB
Member # 6722

- posted      Profile for RobertB   Email RobertB         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a games master who was seriously messed up, violently anti-gay, and altogether too fond of touching boys. Nobody ever suggested he did anything untoward, but I've discussed him since with othe people from my class, and we all felt he was probably a repressed gay. But given the amount of homophobia in schools, I rather wish she'd found a way to bring it into the books.

Gays can be as asexual as heteros.

Posts: 185 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
*SPOILER*

If Dumbledore was gay, why wasn't that part of Rita Skinner's expose? Skinner's book is implied to claim that Dumbledore is a pedophile. If there was even a hint of a rumor that Dumbledore was gay, it seems like the kind of thing the Skinner character would discover and use to support her other character assaults.

On the other hand, this does help explain Dumbledore's permissive attitude about Aberforth and the goats.

[This message has been edited by J (edited October 22, 2007).]

Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Those who are referring to Dumbledore as asexual are actually just suggesting that he was a heterosexual character without a significant romantic storyline. Asexual means you haven't been forced to make an assumption by the author and are making your own assumption based on what is "normal". Asexual just means you never needed to make that decision.

I'm personally excited by this news - not that Dumbledore is gay, per say, but that she had a bit of character background that she either coud not or would not include in the text proper, but (through various extremely subtle hints) was still picked up by one of her readers. I've written similar things, where two non-POV characters have a relationship that the POV character does not know about. The one incident in particular I'm thinking of had no bearing on the story whatsoever, and to include it was to force these two characters to reveal something to the POV character that they normally would not have. Similarly, we see most of the Harry Potter world though Harry's POV. That Harry didn't know (or was not overtly told) about Dumbledore's sexuality is not strange, nor is it strange that we didn't pick it up. It must have been a good feeling for JK Rowling, though, when someone asked that question of her.

Jayson Merryfield

EDIT

quote:
If Dumbledore was gay, why wasn't that part of Rita Skinner's expose? Skinner's book is implied to claim that Dumbledore is a pedophile. If there was even a hint of a rumor that Dumbledore was gay, it seems like the kind of thing the Skinner character would discover and use to support her other character assaults.

I personally suspect that JK Rowling intentionally redacted whatever slightly less subtle hints she might have include in her books, as a way of dodging more criticism. Her books were already being banned on the basis of magic and witchcraft already. An openly gay headmaster? Social conservatives would have spontaneously combusted, I believe, but not before leaping on the nearest display case full of copies of Deathly Hallows.

[This message has been edited by Wolfe_boy (edited October 22, 2007).]

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so since nobody wants to see the funny side of this, I'll have to get serious, too.

First, it bothers me that so many people jump to the conclusion that someone is homophobic if he or she feels like "gay Dumbledore" doesn't work. Second, I'm going to give a very specific reason why it doesn't.

Here's the problem: it weakens a powerful, central struggle.

Quite apart from being about intolerance, the Harry Potter books also investigate lust for power. First it's just Voldemort. Then Rowling adds the Ministry of Magic. Then, to stuff the topic full of nuance that it only pretended to have before, she has a favorite sympathetic character (Dumbledore) struggle with it.

If Dumbledore is gay, it weakens his greatest weakness and destroys all that nuance. We're left to think - or even hope - that Dumbledore was merely lusting over a golden-haired cutie rather than lusting over might and power. It's all immediately excusable. He undergoes no real change, no real repentance, no real progression - he only felt bad about a bad thing that happened. Dumbledore becomes static.

It's much better if Dumbledore is left with no excuse. Then it's just him against his weakness.

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. The Dumbledore/Grindewald plot is much more compelling--and the story's themes are much more coherent--when Dumbledore's struggle and reluctance stem from reasons moral rather than carnal.
Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe she broke the reader's contract. If you want a gay character, do it. If it is necessary or adds something to the story, then that's great. But there's no reason for Dumbledore to be gay. Or straight. To me, he's asexual. I don't mean that literally, I just mean that for the character he is, it doesn't matter, so why say it.

I also think it was a cheap shot. If she wanted to make a character gay, she should have put it in the books. It's like she wants to make a statement that he's gay (again, it makes no difference to the story) but was too much of a coward to put it in the books.

But that doesn't matter. To me, Dumbledore is what he is. He's not gay or straight, he's just Dumbledore. OSC put it best when he said that a book becomes a possession of the reader (paraphrasing extremely loose). Basically, the reader may see something the author didn't intend, and that's okay. The character and story becomes property of the reader. If someone want to believe that Ron went back in time to become Dumbledore (as some readers believe) that's okay. Sure, Rowling told us that it wasn't the case, but it's not in the books, so we can believe what we want until the books tell us otherwise.

Now there are a lot of people that hate the books for religious reasons. I'm Christian and I don't have a problem with them. CS Lewis, one of the major religious figures of our time, used magic to explain Christianity. So, who cares. But there are bigots, and despite what HuntGod inferred, they aren't limited to the south, and the majority of southerners are not bigots. They're everywhere. I just try to ignore them.

Others on this board have said that the reason we aren't told he was gay in the book was that it didn't serve the plot. According to Rowling the reason Dumbledore got caught up in Grindewald was that he was in love with him and that love blinded him. I'm sorry, but if that was the case, tell us. (SPOILER WARNING AHEAD) Wouldn't have King's Cross Station, when he's talking to Harry be the perfect place to say, "I loved him, that's why I had a hard time killing him." To me, the story that was written works better. He liked Grindewald because he was a genius. He felt guilty about Grindewald's actions because he knew he helped create him. He had a hard time confronting him because he knew he (Dumbledore) was as guilty as anyone of killing his sister.

Perhaps because Rowling tries to write about tolerance she decided to add the footnote about Dumbledore being gay. Sorry, doesn't work for me. If she wanted to do that, she should have brought it out earlier. Maybe in a future book she should have a key gay character. Then we can have the discussion on how we should treat people. Then we can have the discussion on bigotry. The way she did it just makes me feel like some of the deaths at the end of Deathly Hallows. Hollow. I don't feel anything. It's like it's just thrown in there for effect.

Imagine this: When Harry and Ron first get to Hogwarts in book 1, remember Ron telling Harry that Dumbledore was mad, and that it seemed Ron respected him more for it. What if he had said, he's gay, and it seemed he respected him more for it? They you build a whole story based on the fact that this guy is gay, and that it doesn't change the fact that he's one of the best and most respected wizards of the age. Readers might not like that he's gay, but they have to accept and respect the man.

And I agree with trouser crit that the story is more powerful if (as even said in the books) Dumbledore was afraid of power because he saw how he was tempted by it. He saw how it corrupted a friend (Grindewald) and how it killed his sister.

So, I guess the point it, will I read these books again? Of course I freaking will. Even if he's gay, straight, transexual, or asexual. I don't care.

Will I read anything else Rowling publishes? Of course I freaking will

Okay, end of post.

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I also think it's wrong to out someone else. If Dumbledore wanted everyone to know he was gay, it was up to him to say it.

/Just trying to instill a little humor.

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Earthsea didn't tell you that Ged was not caucasian for almost (or more than - I forget which right now) 100 pages. Why? Because Ged didn't think about it.

The difference between the two is that the reader does learn that Ged is non-caucasian in the book. If it is a character trait for Dumbledore and it effected his actions or been part of the rumors Rita Skinner was bandying about, which it seems like it would have, the reader should have known in the story.

Does it really change how I think of him? No, although I understand the arguement trousercuit made about weakening the character. Does it add to the story? No. Do I wish Rawling had kept her mouth shut? Yes. Would I have liked to have discovered this facet of the man in a story rather than being told by the author? Definately, yes.

[This message has been edited by kings_falcon (edited October 22, 2007).]

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrenbird
Member # 3245

To those who have accused me of being intolerant for allegedly "suggesting that all gay men should be portrayed in stereotypical ways," I have two responses.
1-
2-I wasn't saying that Rowling should have PORTRAYED him as gay (i.e. make him effeminate or have fabulous taste in clothes)
I was saying that there should have been more clues as to his tragic love story (which happens to be gay.) Cause, really, don't you think that it would have somehow, at some point been hinted at to Harry? Dumbledore had to kill the love of his life, who went awry and became a Dark Wizard. It's tragic. And, it's even more tragic (and consistant with Rowlings themes of tolerance) that his love was a man. Why wouldn't Dumbledore have at least hinted to Harry that he had a tragic love in his past? Or, I agree with RMatthewWare, that it makes one wonder why he wouldn't have told Harry at Kings Cross. He and Harry had a special friendship. Those are the kind of stories from your past that you share with your friends. Especially when there is a life lesson in it.

Quite honestly, if there had been any hints in the story that Dumbledore had a tragic love in his past, and then (even post publication) Rowling said that that love was Grindewald, I would have thought it a rather compelling sidenote.
BUT, I didn't see any clue of that in any of the books, and that made me wonder if Rowling had really intended this from the beginning. And THAT is what I wanted to discuss in this topic. (just to be clear)THAT="Do you think Rowling always intended Dumbledore to be gay or is this a creation after the fact?" Some of you got all worked up because I sounded negative about a topic that had homosexuality loosely included. Well, I hope I've made my point more clear.

[This message has been edited by wrenbird (edited October 22, 2007).]

Zero
Member # 3619

Yes, J, that is what made me dislike it. (That and the fact that this alters my vision of the character,) but--more importantly--what I don't like is the shift from a moral-qualm dividing Dumbedore and Grindewald's friendship, which is always interesting and easy to relate to, instead of a sexual attraction delaying a moral reaction, which is neither easy to relate to nor easy for me to respect. Making a heroic character more human, I suppose, but less likeable, which as a reader is always more important to me.

But, no, I can't really identify anything JK Rowling did wrong here, just that it differs from what I would have done, or what I would have liked to see done. And therefore I'm against it, but only out of concern for my own vision of who the characters are/were and what motivates(ed) them.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Oh, I'm inclined to see the humor in this, but I started more on a view of "the craft of crafting compelling characters."

I see "asexual" as someone who apparently is not attracted to anyone of any size or shape. Emphasis on apparently here, because the writer can choose to conceal said character's sexual orientation, or sexual activities. And all the more so if said activity is not in any way connected to the plot.

Of, say, the characters in "The Lord of the Rings," I'm sure of only one of them "getting him some" at any point during the main narrative itself. Even then, it's only apparent by its results. Indirectly, there was probably some here and there (though probably not among the major characters), and, in the vast amount of background material Tolkien prepared, there must be much more---or several species would have died out before the story began.

Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Okay, I also think it's wrong to out someone else. If Dumbledore wanted everyone to know he was gay, it was up to him to say it.

Skip the humor - here's the heart of the issue. If Dumbledore never saw the need to out himself, or confide in another character (namely Harry) in such a way that the reader would notice, why should JK Rowling out him? I reread the article, and the exact quotations. The question was referring to Dumbledore's search for true love. A simple Yes or no is the correct answer, possibly with some illuminating explainations, but, "Dumbledore is gay" is hardly the answer that was expected, I would assume. I had assumed that someone else had discovered it first, or guessed at it, and she confirmed the fact. In retrospect, I was wrong. It seems like she has calously outed the poor Headmaster, who (it would seem) has guarded this bit of information quite closely.

Be forewarned, though - I am a firm believer in characters having a life outside of the author's intentions. Characters I write often times do things I didn't expect, or didn't agree with, simply because they chose to.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I think if you don't know more about your own characters than you reveal in the story, or need to reveal---well, you've failed as a writer, and your characters are nothing more than literary stick figures. What is a character without depth?

But then, short of revealing plot points, there's no reason not to keep these details to yourself if anybody asks. And, obviously, somebody asked Rowling about this.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh. It's a ploy to sell another million copies (and re-sell to people who've read the book and tossed it). Now the gay community has to snatch the books up and see what's-what, and the fans have to go back and hunt down signs.

Hasn't she made enough?

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited October 22, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
Well I guess that explains why she cut that scene with Dumbledore, Frodo and Sam...

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
halogen
Member # 6494

quote:
If there was even a hint of a rumor that Dumbledore was gay, it seems like the kind of thing the Skinner character would discover and use to support her other character assaults.

Maybe, perhaps in her world being gay was something that would not cause embarrassment. Maybe she wanted a world where calling someone 'gay' is akin to calling them 'straight' - no one would care.

Holy crap, I'm arguing Harry Potter!

Will someone start a Chuck Palahniuk thread?

oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
However the series was already high on the bigot hit list because it was "satanic" (pronounced with a thick southern accent)

[Snarfles coffee] HuntGod, do you not see the irony of your "thick southern accent"?

quote:
Will someone start a Chuck Palahniuk thread?

ROFL

Regarding attitudes towards homosexuality in general, I find this interesting: people will swear up and down that being gay makes no difference, but the same people won't peep when a gay man says he has "infallible gaydar". There must be a contradiction there somewhere.

Regarding the rage about the Gay Mage, either
(a) his being gay should make no significant difference (i.e., his character could be "played" by a straight mage with no significant changes to the book), or
(b) his being gay should make a significant difference, in which case people should have noticed it.

If the former, then the revelation is irrelevant, and, as someone else said earlier, Rowling's commentary is just commentary; if the latter, then by making it impossible to tell that Dumbledore was gay, Rowling didn't represent him as a gay man.

In other words, either her comment was irrelevant, or it showed that she doesn't characterize all that well. We should just get over it.

[This message has been edited by oliverhouse (edited October 22, 2007).]

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Just out of curiosity, why does it matter? You will forgive me if I treat everything JK Rowling says outside of the pages the same as I would a reply to a story I crit for someone. If it isn't in the pages...it doesn't count. None of us get to go tell the reader all the details we kept out of the story after the fact. The story exists in the book, and outside of that, it doesn't matter.

If it isn't in the story...it isn't in the story.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Ruyle
Member # 5943

- posted      Profile for Jon Ruyle   Email Jon Ruyle         Edit/Delete Post 
To those who say it only counts if its in the book, I ask: does it count if it's in the encyclopedia? (Of course we all know she'll publish a Harry Potter encyclopedia with info that didn't make it into the books)
If stuff in the encyclopedia counts, what happens when she puts "Dumbledore is gay" in there?
Just asking... I hope no one on either side of the argument sees me as intolerant because of this post

I personally take what she says to heart (though I don't have an opinion about whether or not others should). In my mind, Dumbledore really is gay, though I never knew it before, even after all those 3500+ pages. That doesn't surprise me. I have gay friends and have known them way better than I know Dumbledore before finding out.

Posts: 101 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

quote:
Be forewarned, though - I am a firm believer in characters having a life outside of the author's intentions. Characters I write often times do things I didn't expect, or didn't agree with, simply because they chose to.

Jason, if it wasn't for the fact that I have encountered this very thing in its most tangible form, I would think you are totally insane.

But I have experienced this with my MC quite a bit, and it really blow my mind. And sometimes I have mixed feelings about it initially, because it isn't always what I'd scripted in my outline, or doesn't happen exactly how I planned, but looking back I generally see the richness that it brings. And I really wonder how it is that this made-up person can bring himself to life and start dictating the way he does things that I force him to do.

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited October 23, 2007).]

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
In response to the encyclopedia bit. No. I don't think it would change my beliefs about the story in any way. For me the book is itself and any extratextual resources are irrelevant to my interpretation. I don't see an encyclopedia as any less of a commentary then the interview we are talking about. Does that mean it shouldn't matter to other people? That's their decision.
For me to do my writing I have to believe that the things I write in that story are all that will be read about it. I can't rely on the possibility that people will be interested enough to ask me for more. It doesn't mean there won't be more if the occasion arises, just that I won't count on it.

Another thing I must address is the bigotry against social conservatives. If someone made a joke about homosexuals bursting into flame there would be a major outcry. Stereotyping everyone who disagrees with you as rabid book burning bigots is just a bigoted as those you are trying to fight. [/rant]

The issue for me is not Dumbly's relationship with Grindly. If it had been more apparent in the books I would have accepted it. It would have changed my view, but I would still love the books. The issue is how much control the author has over the reader. That begins and ends with the text.

Oh and someone said Grindly was blond, no he wasn't, he had dark hair like Victor Krum and the fool I can't remember who ran Durmstrang. (Just kidding, you are certainly entitled to your view of him. I just saw all three of those as from the middle to east European race where blondies are rare.)

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

I thought there were a number of indicators of Dumbledore's love for Grindie and kind of whent "Huh..." I find the idea that Dumbledore should discuss his sexual preferences or love life with a student a bit -- I mean, come ON. He's the headmaster. However fond he is of Harry, it is something that Dumbledore would not consider discussing with a student, whether he was in love with a man or a woman and wouldn't go burbling about. It would be totally out of character for him to discuss that with Harry.

Should Rowling devulge backstory that isn't in the book if someone asks? I see no reason why not. From having told the director of the movie, which was pretty much bound to eventually get around, she wasn't trying to keep it secret anyway. It just had no relevence to the plot.

As far whether Dumbledor should have been written gay, if Rowling thinks that he was gay, then he was "written gay." She didn't have to throw in something that someone else considers "what gay people do." I personally don't think it's a big deal

I do think it is sad that so many people "hate" the fact that Dumbledore was gay or that it "damages" their perception of him. It says exactly how much prejudice there still is around, if anyone doubted it. But of all the groups in the world, prejudice against gays is among the most widely acceptable too, so we can hardly be surprised.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited October 23, 2007).]

RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

quote:
Skip the humor

Never skip the humor.

Oh, and it's Skeeter! Rita Skeeter, not Skinner. Come on people, have you read the books?

And, as a side note, I know Rowling said she's going to write an encyclopedia, and that's all well and good, but I hope she doesn't become like Tolkien (as good as he was) and keep tweaking and working on this world forever. I'd like to see her move on and write other things. I've said before that she should leave this franchise alone for 20 years and then if she wants to come back to it and write The Adult Adventures of a Grown-Up Harry and Ron Fighting Evil Wizards (AAGUHRFEW for short), then that's fine. We as readers will have aged 20 years and we'll be able to enjoy these characters as adults.

Or just leave it alone and move on. Whatever. Either way I'd like to see if she can write something else that I found as compelling as these novels. Some writers only have one good story in them. I doubt anything else she ever writes will be as successful as Potter (I mean, what is), but it'd be interesting nonetheless to see what she has in her.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.