Hatrack River Writers Workshop
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » The new Dumbledore (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The new Dumbledore
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
"But of all the groups in the world, prejudice against gays is among the most widely acceptable too, so we can hardly be surprised."

Homosexuality isn't a state of being capable of being prejudiced against (like race); it's a set of behaviors. This is true regardless of whether there is a genetic predisposition to same sex attraction (think alcoholism--that's the product of a genetic disposition as well, but we have no problem recognizing it as a behavior rather than an immutable state of being).

The relevance of all this to the discussion is that Rowling's announcement doesn't affect who Dumbledore "is" as a character as much as it forces reinterpretation of his actions and motives. Regardless of how anyone feels about Dumbledore preferring men sexually, everyone should be a little bit sad that Rowling asks us to reinterpret the subtle and mature "ethics of power" theme to the much less worthwhile "emotions get in the way of stuff" theme.

[This message has been edited by J (edited October 23, 2007).]

Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Well said. There is literally nothing I can add to that except, that is my exact sentiment.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
Of course I recognize the irony of my "thick" and dolorous southern drawl. I live solidly on the third notch on the belt of the Bible :-)

I personally like that Dumblydore is gay, leave more rampant totty for us real men :-P

I do however get real irritated that homosexuality gets crossed in the minds of many as a perversion like pedophilia. You don't have anyone getting upset that their MARRIED straight den mother will lose control and molest the boys under her auspice. I get aggravated that the same logic is not applied to homosexuals.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
halogen
Member # 6494

- posted      Profile for halogen   Email halogen         Edit/Delete Post 
To play devil's advocate, here's an article that I thought was well written and has a different perspective

quote:
But as far as we know, Dumbledore had not a single fully realized romance in 115 years of life. That's pathetic, and a little creepy. It's also a throwback to an era of pop culture when the only gay characters were those who committed suicide or were murdered. As Vito Russo's The Celluloid Closet: Homosexuality in the Movies (1981) points out, in film after film of the mid-century—Rebel Without a Cause; Rebecca; Suddenly, Last Summer—the gay characters must pay for their existence with death. Like a lisping weakling, Dumbledore is a painfully selfless, celibate, dead gay man, so forgive me if I don't see Rowling's revelation as great progress.

[This message has been edited by halogen (edited October 23, 2007).]

Posts: 207 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
Pure:

quote:
Oh and someone said Grindly was blond, no he wasn't, he had dark hair like Victor Krum and the fool I can't remember who ran Durmstrang. (Just kidding, you are certainly entitled to your view of him. I just saw all three of those as from the middle to east European race where blondies are rare.)

http://www.hp-lexicon.org/wizards/grindelwald.html

quote:
APPEARANCE
Hair: Blonde, curly shoulder-length hair (DH13).
Characteristics: A wild, gleeful look about him (DH13).

I win! Ha ha!

I've read Deathly Hallows three times now (twice for me, once for my kids), so you might just have to defer to me on future questions about Harry Potter arcana.

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This is true regardless of whether there is a genetic predisposition to same sex attraction
J, one's genetic makeup is indeed a "state of being" and is totally non-dependant on one's behavior nor is there any indication (as has been pointed out) that at any time Dumbledore acted on any homosexual attraction(whether this is good or bad), hence, his homosexuality was hardly a "set of behaviors."

And prejudice is not dependant on whether what is being "pre-judged" is a behavior or a genetic trait.

Let's take a look at what it does indeed mean:

Prejudice:
a. An adverse judgment or opinion formed beforehand or without knowledge or examination of the facts.
b. A preconceived preference or idea.
2. The act or state of holding unreasonable preconceived judgments or convictions.

Someone may decide they have the right to be prejudiced toward homosexuals because they think homosexual attraction is in and of itself evil, but that is nontheless a form of prejudice since is is an adverse judgement or opinion formed beforehand without regard to what the person has actually done.

Edit:

quote:
everyone should be a little bit sad that Rowling asks us to reinterpret the subtle and mature "ethics of power" theme to the much less worthwhile "emotions get in the way of stuff" theme.
Not in the least. Rowling answered a question about backstory. She didn't ask you to reinterpret a thing. If that causes you to reinterpret something because you somehow think that homosexuals are not bound by ethics that is your thinking. It is not an attitude that I share, therefore I have no reason to rethink any such thing. Dumbledore's actions did not change. The theme did not change. His motivations did not change. Your attitude is what changed.

And since this is a topic I have strong feelings about I'll restrain myself from further comments.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited October 24, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kurim21
Member # 5695

- posted      Profile for Kurim21   Email Kurim21         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with JeanneT.
Posts: 23 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
First, we need to keep terms straight. (Ha ha!) Some people separate homosexual behavior from same-sex attraction, some don't. Many of the former call same-sex attraction "homosexuality". Confusion over terms is the source of way too many disputes.

Second, Rowling stated that Dumbledore "fell in love with" Grindly (love it - it's like Voldy) and that was part of what snared him. Injecting "blinded by love" into Dumbledore's struggle with lust for power weakens the struggle, period. My inferences about Dumbledore's motivations (which are what count - there's no point in talking about someone's "attitude" vs. a fictional character's "motivations") change if I take Dumbledore's newly-revealed sexual orientation into account when I read Deathly Hallows. Things get more tragic, but Dumbledore doesn't have to journey nearly as far.

Prejudice has nothing to do with it. I'd say the same thing if Dumbledore were straight and Grindlypants were a woman, and Rowling revealed that Dumbledore had fallen in love with her. A little more tragic, a lot less struggle - overall, it's weaker.

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Well put, trouser.

JeanneT,

quote:
one's genetic makeup is indeed a "state of being" and is totally non-dependant on one's behavior... homosexuality was hardly a "set of behaviors..."

I don't think "behavior" is simply concrete examples of action. In economics class, when we are talking about the effect of the interest rate on the market we can make fairly accurate predictions of what will happen because we know the market's behavior, even though it hasn't--by your definition--behaved yet. I define behavior as how something(one) is predisposed to act, how it is going to act, and I include homosexual attraction as a behavior whether it is voluntary or not. Whether or not Dumbledore produced any outward signs of concrete homosexuality is not known and not relevant, he obvious exhibited homosexual thoughts and that is--most strictly--a behavior.

quote:
And prejudice is not dependant on whether what is being "pre-judged" is a behavior or a genetic trait.

Interestingly enough prejudice is also a set of behaviors. Let's assume genetic-makeup is a "state of being," as you put it, suppose a person is predisposed, genetically, to behave with prejudice. It seems to me you are being prejudiced against them, after all they can hardly change their genetics. For that matter how do we know, on the most fundamental level, that we are not merely 100% determined by our DNA input, and that all of our decisions, which appear to be voluntary, are simply designated output? Like a computer program. "If (encounter this situation) produce X output, else Y output..."

I point out that inconsistency because, regardless of whether homosexuality is wonderful or dreadful, it is a behavior. So is prejudice. Or--more appropriately--rampant drinking. Alcoholism has been proven to be linked to genetic predisposition, homosexuality has made a strong case for that as well, and as for prejudice and other behavior, for all we know they are genetic as well, it's unclear. But the ultimate point here is that we can criticize someone's behavior and it isn't the very same thing as criticizing their race or gender, which are not behaviors.

That analogy would be invalid. And it is neither logical nor fair to stuff them together into some kind of amorphous blob.

Also:

quote:
Rowling answered a question about backstory. She didn't ask you to reinterpret a thing. If that causes you to reinterpret something because you somehow think that homosexuals are not bound by ethics that is your thinking.

I disagree completely. By revealing new information that is, essentially, new input. If we have the same output (Dumbledore eventually confronts Grindy) but we now have new inputs, we must re-evaluate our function to figure out where and to what extent this new information fits in there. And in this case it's pretty significant. I agree with trouser who pointed out that adding the romantic element to the situation, whether gay or straight, would strengthen the tragedy, but weaken the struggle. That isn't to say it weakens the inner-conflict overall, but in this case I believe it does. But whether or not the tragedy outweighs or is underweighed by the "struggle," which has changed, we know that there is less "struggle" and not more.

And it truly is about motivation. His motivations may not have changed, but his dientified motivations have, and as readers our only tools to see his motivations are what the author tells us in the writing, and whatever speculation we have on our own. Rowling neither exposed this in the story, nor did I speculate it on my own. Therefore--to me and many others--this is new motivation information. Which forces me, regardless of Rowlings intentions, to re-evaluate his motives.

And it seems obvious to me that he was actually struggling more and more with his heartfelt attraction to Grindy, and less and less with his inner conscience that tells him "these ideas are immoral." Had he been intensely struggling with both the issues, he likely would never have confronted Grindy at all.

quote:
And since this is a topic I have strong feelings about I'll restrain myself from further comments.

What a waste. Don't hold back, I find your perspective useful, helpful, interesting, insightful, and invaluable. Whether or not we agree directly, this potential exchange isn't about conflict between us, or argument, it's about insight. And snubbing this topic will only rob many of us of your point of view, which otherwise could have enriched us.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

Well put, Zero. And I'll second the request that you be heard, Jeanne. We're all friends here.
Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
I appreciate both of you saying that you are interested in my perspective. Thanks. It's not that I want to snub the subject. I simply feel that my strong feelings on the subject (and some others have strong feelings one way or the other) could lead to this subject getting too heated. We are all friends here, and I'd like it to stay that way even though we do disagree at times.

Edit: Ok I'm giving in to temptation.

quote:
But the ultimate point here is that we can criticize someone's behavior
So EXACTLY what in Dumbledore's BEHAVIOR (as opposed to his feelings) are you criticising? I honestly think your comments are based solely on prejudice. There WAS no behavior to comment on. You are saying that his EMOTIONS were wrong and hence he should be judged on them.

Emotions are not a behavior. I do not judge someone for their prejudice (an emotion) but for their attempts to force that prejudice onto society (a behavior). But evidently seeing the difference in something that is an emotion and something that is a behavior is not something you are going to accept.

I am sorry but I consider saying that thoughts are a "behavior" is wildly inaccurate. That is a matter of trying to force a definition to fit your own prejudice and nothing more. Behavior is by DEFINITION an ACT. Thought and emotion are simply not acts.

In your economics class example, you are PREDICTING behaviors. When they take place they are acts and external, not something someone has merely thought about. You are confusing the fact that you can try to predict someone's behavior with the behavior itself--although I suspect it is more an excuse for your prejudice than an actual confusion.

I am not going to convince you that somehow having feelings for someone of your own sex isn't evil. You aren't going to convince me that is it.

The fact that Dumbledore had to fight someone he loved hardly made the struggle less. Saying this shows, in my opinion an amazinly superficial knowledge of human feelings. If there would be anything that would increase struggle more it would be seeing someone you love going in a way you yourself might be tempted (thus increasing your temptation) and that at the same time you know to be evil. It increases both the struggle and the tragedy not lessens it. But since it was always clear in the book that Dumbledore loved Grindly (she just didn't put the name on it), I see no change.

Sorry to have given in to temptation to comment further. This isn't going to convince anyone of anything. Time to stop--for me at any rate.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited October 24, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricia V
Member # 6324

- posted      Profile for Tricia V   Email Tricia V         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know why cub-scouts have den mothers. I think it may be that more women are available for daytime meetings. I'll ask someone.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

JeanneT,

Welcome back to the topic!

I think our disagreement stems completely from this fundamental thing.

quote:
I am sorry but I consider saying that thoughts are a "behavior" is wildly inaccurate.

And I think it's wildly accurate.

I suppose I cannot convince you to see things my way, but understand, at least--as best you can--why I think this.

Physical action, or surface action, is only the top of a list of ideas that are interconnected and cannot be separated from behavior. This includes: forming an idea, motivation, opportunity, and action. Without each of these things, no character can act.

I therefore define behavior as including thoughts, which I believe are essential to "forming an idea," and "motivation," and especially "recognizing an opportunity."

For the following example, forgive the dry-technical nature I am using to approach this subject:

If I am pre-disposed to behave straight, which I am, incidentally , that pre-disposition helps me form the idea that said girl across the room, we'll call her Jane, is sexually attractive. (Or preferable to whatever other options I happen to notice at this time.) I am motivated by my carnal instincts to be drawn to her and consider her as a potential mate. This may not be voluntary, but it is a driving factor. I think about this, agree with it, and then start thinking of/considering opportunities to get from here to there, strangers to mates, and assess the possibility of making it. (This may sound long-winded and over-rational, but countless such analyses are performed by every single person per day in fractions of seconds.) This thought process, driven by a craving for reproduction, which is created by my genetic predispositions, is an action. It is neither physical nor outward, but even if I dismiss the desire and decide no good opportunities exist, I am still acting even though I never approach her or give myself an opportunity to see her again.

By my definition I have behaved, that sounds odd to say, so, rather I have have exhibited behavior, even if it was invisble and seemingly, outwardly, inconsequential. And it seems to me by your definition I have not.

To be consistent with your definition of behavior, it seems that by choosing to not pursue this woman, this opportunity, I have not exhibited behavior. Even though I have made an active choice.

When Dumbledore struggled to get himself to confront Grindy, it wasn't that he exhibited obvious homosexual behavior by trying to seduce him or something, rather he was delayed in making "the right choice," as he saw it, because he was attracted to Grindy. A conflict of interest. Which is not the same conflict of interest that seemed, to many of us, to exist before this revelation.

trousercuit
Member # 3235

Why don't we clarify terms?

J and Zero claim that it's moral to have prejudice against homosexuality, as understood to be a set of behaviors. Zero then extends "behaviors" to include how people are predisposed to act, but it's not clear to me whether he thinks it's moral to have prejudice against predisposition - or even thinks morality can be regarded separately from predisposition.

If it's the latter, there may be no point in Zero continuing with the discussion about whether prejudice is moral. Depending on his views, his only point may be that this part of the discussion is meaningless. (EDIT: Or he may, as he just did before I finished with my post, want to now discuss whether his views are correct.)

JeanneT apparently defines homosexuality as a set of predispositions and claims that it's not moral to have prejudice against it.

It looks like Zero and JeanneT use the same basic definition of homosexuality (predispositions) and possibly disagree on prejudice. J uses a different definition (external behaviors).

Here's how I break it down:

Same-sex attraction: a predisposition (rarely voluntary or learned) to attraction to members of the same sex.

Homosexuality: acting on predispositions to attraction to members of the same sex.

For the sake of my ego, can we use these definitions? Things might go much more smoothly.

[This message has been edited by trousercuit (edited October 24, 2007).]

RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems our debate on Dumbledore is much more kind-spirited and fair than a lot of others. Some are questioning Dumbledore's relationship with Harry now. Um, what? Is there any rational person who believes homosexuality equals pedophelia? I hope not, but I imagine there probably are. It's perfectly fine for A homosexual man to have friends of the same gender without having to have a relationship, just as men and women can be friends without wanting to have a physical relationship.

It is my opinion that if you disagree with homosexuality, as I do, you can do so without shunning or mistreating the person. Sure, I'm against homosexuality in principal. But I'm also against bigotry. The same set of beliefs that tell me homosexuality is wrong tell me that all people have agency, or the right to choose. Had Dumbledore been a real man and not just a fictional character he would have had the right to choose his sexuality and not be treated badly because of it. As said before I dislike JK Rowling outing him after the novel came out, I think it weakens the power struggle. So my arguments against Dumbledore being gay in this case aren't moral, there literary.

I have chosen a heterosexual lifestyle. I have also chosen a Christian lifestyle. Those are my rights. Others have chosen a homosexual lifestyle. I say, let them be. It's their right to make that choice. If a Christian (or any other religious person) wants religious freedom then they have to grant that same freedom to others. As long as it doesn't hurt anyone else, then we have to respect that. We don't have to agree with it, but we have to respect it.

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RobertB
Member # 6722

- posted      Profile for RobertB   Email RobertB         Edit/Delete Post 
Please don't assume that 'Christian' necessarily means hetero, much less anti-gay. I'm extremely uncomfortable with the way one conservative section of the church hijacks the term and attempts to apply it exclusively to itself.
Posts: 185 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
RMatthewWare wasn't saying that Christian means hetero or anti gay, and he certainly wasn't trying to hijack the term Christianity. He was saying that HE is Christian and HIS interpretation of HIS Christan beliefs lead him to dissaprove of a homosexual lifestyle.

You know, I think Christians are sometimes as much the victims of prejudice as homosexuals. Some people hear that someone is a Christian and immediately assume that they are a raging bigot.

[This message has been edited by wrenbird (edited October 24, 2007).]

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kurim21
Member # 5695

I have to disagree with RMatthewWare's use of choice. You choose your religion. You don't choose to be straight, gay, or anywhere in between. I'm not terribly sure on his use of lifestyle either. I'm confused as to why he went with religious freedom over sexual orientation. I only get that his religion lets him dislike people if he doesn't do anything to hurt them. If he's saying something else I need help understanding.
Posts: 23 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RobertB
Member # 6722

What's a 'Christian lifestyle' then? I've heard the term many times, and it always implies a particular type of Christianity. My point is that there are many others; it's a pretty meaningless expression except as an evangelical codeword.
Posts: 185 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Since this is already drifting off down a dark path of religions and hatred. Let me throw out a slightly skewed viewpoint.

I'm a Christian, but I hate religions. When someone comes to me to tell me that I can't read for myself, and that if I follow their interpretation of the Bible I'll be right and everyone else wrong. My usual thought is, "What drugs might you be on?"

Now we love to tie in dislike, and even hatred of homosexuals to religion. While most religions do call it evil, I can admit I have no like of it myself. While I don't indiscriminately hate those who are gay, I find the actions of gays to go against biology...or nature. Humans are very much designed for male and female to have sex with each other. This is the way we are. Two men cannot have any form of "natural" sex. They aren't designed for it. Two women have the same problem. So is it really a religious basis that homosexuals are disliked and even hated? Or could it be that because it is not what was intended by our physical makeup, those who are not gay think it is wrong?

Hatred exists all around for more reasons than we want to admit. To blindly tag it as a religious bias only applies if it is purely religious in nature. To say that Christians and Muslims hate each other based on religious beliefs....well, a few crusades and long years of fighting (and some still are), would make that something easy to believe. To say Christians hate gays based purely on religion, I think you have to look at those who are performing the violence (on both sides) first and see if it is really the Christians, or those touting religion as their excuse.

We should not confuse excuses with motivations. Hatred of homosexuals doesn't need any form of religion.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RobertB
Member # 6722

There's a lot in religion to hate, if you look at the dark side of it. Unfortunately, that's often the most strident aspect. Obviously, I don't hate religion per se; I've been an active Methodist preacher for 20 years.
But I well remember apartheid, which had deep religious roots, to the extent that it was officially declared a heresy by the Anglicans among others; and they're know for their ability to include everyone without (so far) having a terminal bust-up. I also remember fundamentalist preachers back in the 80's, with no knowledge of apartheid or its theology whatsoever, banging the drum about the 'evils' of inter-racial marriages, and simply repeating the same ideas. I don't think this is the place for theology, but there's no doubt that the church does provide a haven for all sorts of prejudice, and once it gets in, it can very easily become accepted among people who don't actively question what they hear.
Some years back, there was a scandal about some elements within the church repeating a libel about a certain multinational using a 'witchcraft sign' as its trademark. It was simply a case of one preacher hearing another's juicy tale, and repeating it unquestioningly, ad nauseam.
But it's dangerous. The Bible says a lot more to legitimise genocide than it does to condemn homosexuality. I'm sure nobody wants to get back to a situation where the church is justifying slaughter, but as long as that style of religion passes unchallenged, you can never rule out the possibility.

RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Please don't assume that 'Christian' necessarily means hetero, much less anti-gay. I'm extremely uncomfortable with the way one conservative section of the church hijacks the term and attempts to apply it exclusively to itself.

I don't assume anything in that regard. I just see a lot of people that spread hate in the name of religion. I was trying to make a statement against that.

quote:
I have to disagree with RMatthewWare's use of choice. You choose your religion. You don't choose to be straight, gay, or anywhere in between. I'm not terribly sure on his use of lifestyle either. I'm confused as to why he went with religious freedom over sexual orientation. I only get that his religion lets him dislike people if he doesn't do anything to hurt them. If he's saying something else I need help understanding.

You do choose your lifestyle. Everyone has certain persuasions to sex, personality, sense of humor, interests in life. It is your choice that makes you what you are. I believe it was Zero that said some people deal with same-sex attraction but don't consider themselves gay. Your actions are a choice, though perhaps your persuasion to be attracted to someone is not.

My religion does not let me dislike people and I didn't say anything of the kind. The point I wanted to make was that someone opposed to homosexuality because of religion does NOT have a right to hate them. What I was saying was that as long as someone's choices don't hurt anyone, then we have to respect that. We don't have to like the choice, but we can't hate the chooser. Is that any clearer?

A lot of evil has been done in the name of religion, but don't blame the religion, blame the members. Just because the members aren't true doesn't mean that the church isn't and it doesn't mean we should stop trying to improve ourselves, even through religion. I think those of us who call ourselves Christian, or any other religion of tolerance, should really practice that tolerance first. If you feel someone is sinning then reach out to them. If they reject you, then that's their right, just as you have a right to believe as you do.

I still love Dumbledore (to get us back to the point

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

Why do people always conflate moral disapproval with hatred? It seems to be accepted as dogma that "Evangelical Christians morally disapprove of homosexual behavior, therefore they hate anyone with homosexual tendencies." The statement is a non-sequitur; as an evangelical Christian I can say that the statement is false both logically and practically.

Putting aside incorrect (and unfortunately bigoted) assumptions about who evangelicals hate, I don't even morally disapprove of gay Dumbledore. The books imply that after his teenage years, he ceased engaging in homosexual behavior (to whatever extent he had been practiced it) and spent his life in celibacy. This, to me, is a principled, morally upright, and admirable way for Dumbledore to conduct his life. So I don't morally disapprove of Dumbledore--if anything, I would hold him up as a moral example.

I do disapprove (artistically, not morally) of how Rowling inserted new information requiring a reinterpretation of the text in a way that diminishes and cheapens the deepest themes of the story.

[This message has been edited by J (edited October 25, 2007).]

Kurim21
Member # 5695

I see the "hate the sin not the sinner" approach as a way to condemn a person and still feel good about yourself. If your choices make you who you are then you are one with your actions. If Tom hadn't hurt anyone yet, but still held the views he did, was Dumbledore suppose to let him have the DADA job?
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
This whole discussion is silly. One simply cannot put ALL the backstory about a supporting character into a book, or it would turn the supporting character into the primary character.

The reality is that every successful author has boatloads of character stuff that never makes it into the story. Look at Tolkien... the only reason we know he had so much backstory is that it was included in the appendices, and subsequent books like The Silmarillion; an option Rowling didn't have. You can successfully argue that the motivation to the characters from all Tolkien's backstory was profound, but that still isn't enough to make it important enough to become part of the tale being told in LoTR.

The only reason to see the new information Rowling has given us as a "cheat" is because you wish to see it that way. It's no more a cheat than the unrevealed backstory developed by Tolkien, Zelazny, Herbert, Zimmer Bradley, or a gallery of other authors who have given us such pleasure in deeply constructed, elaborate alternate worlds.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
To trousercuit: My bad. I remember now why I pictured him dark haired though. It was the "golden curls". When I read that I pictured Shirly Temple, then I pictured Dumbledore laying the smackdown on America's sweetheart. I couldn't stand that so I made a conscious choice to change him into a Krum-klone.

Anywho, I've been debating whether or not to jump into the homosexual good vs bad debate. It seems to me that most such turn into a bramble of "oh, you believe that? You hateful bigot." "Your the one who is a hateful bigot." Not that I'm saying this of you guys, I wouldn't have expected such simplicities from a group of people who constantly train in the art of rhetoric.

I will add my sentiment though. I believe sex outside of a God sanctioned marriage is a sin, and to that I believe that God would not sanction a homosexual marriage. (As to whether the state should sanction it is a different issue.) Now this is what I believe, does that mean that I hate people who do that? I also believe that smoking tobacco, or anything else short of ham is wrong. It destroys bodies, both the smoker and those around them. Does that mean that I hate smokers? I don't recall anything in the bible that says I must hate anyone, in fact it says that the second great commandment is love thy neighbor as thyself. (with the implied commandment of love thyself.) Why can't I decide for myself that the actions of someone else are wrong without being called a bigot? (And I am talking about actions here not dispositions.) Now I'll add a disclaimer, I am not talking for all Christians all over the earth. I am talking for this Christian. This has been the product of scripture study, meditation and prayer, but I don't expect others to hold my view. I will share it, and defend it, but someone could hold a different view on this and I would still salute them as a brother or sister in the Lord.

As to thoughts being actions, I see some value in that. The Lord, after all, looketh upon the heart. But I hold that someone who has had an evil thought and overcame it is a far better person then one who has never had such a trial. (As if such a person ever existed.)

To make a long post even longer (for I don't expect to post again, I've said my peace) I wish to add to the bit about predispositions. So what if someone is predisposed to something or the other? (And I disagree with those who say that homosexuality is unnatural. I love nature films. I can tell you that it is the "natural" way to get sexual release any way one can. I think saying these things are counterproductive to the debate.) Just because something is in one's genes doesn't make it acceptable. What about those unfortunate souls who are born with violent tendencies? Should we just allow them to harm other people because they were "genetically predisposed?"

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.