Hatrack River Writers Workshop
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » JK Rowling's Latest Book (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: JK Rowling's Latest Book
luapc
Member # 2878

- posted      Profile for luapc   Email luapc         Edit/Delete Post 
It was just announced that JK Rowling's latest book has been finished.

http://omg.yahoo.com/rowling-completes-post-harry-potter-book/news/3619

Unfortunately, it is also true that only seven are being published. Now, I'm not a JK Rowling fan, have never read any of the Harry Potter books, nor watched any of the movies completely through, but I was wondering what some of you Harry Potter fans think about this. To me, it seems a poor way to pay back all the loyal readers of the series, as some may want the book, but will never be able to get it.

What do you think?

Posts: 326 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
To me, it seems a poor way to pay back all the loyal readers of the series, as some may want the book, but will never be able to get it.

Bingo.

Seems she's been abusing her fans a lot lately. Dumbledore's gay, but I won't tell you until after you've read the book. Now, here's a cool fairy tale book, that no one can read. Ha ha.

[This message has been edited by RMatthewWare (edited November 01, 2007).]

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm conflicted.

On one hand, she isn't obligated to publish everything she writes just because she's a famous author. She's raising money for charity, which is also very good of her. It's a personal work, and she is entitled to do personal work.

On the other hand, why not publish it? Why withhold it from the fans who would love to read something like that? Being in the Potter-verse makes it really desirable. She could at least do a PDF download version or something. And if she wants to raise money, she could publish it and donate all the proceeds to charity.

So, I guess it's her right, but I don't understand why.

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
On one hand, she isn't obligated to publish everything she writes just because she's a famous author.

Oh, I agree. She doesn't HAVE to do anything. But as a writer you should care about your fans. I understand the charity angle, why not open it up to all your fans? Wouldn't charity benefit even more? It's her choice, but I feel she's been making some poor ones lately.

I also just saw that A website called the Harry Potter Lexicon is publishing a companion book called the HP Lexicon. They aren't the first to publish a companion book, in fact I own one companion book myself. Rowling is suing the owner of the website, though, for copyright infringement. Isn't that interesting? Rowling herself said she used that website to help keep her facts straight while writing the Potter books. She even awarded the site as a great Potter fansite. I guess now that she doesn't need them anymore its time to sue them. Why not sue them before? Didn't the site infringe on copyright? What about all the fan fic? What about all the other Potter companion books? Why as a writer would you risk alienating your fans, fans that have helped push the books?

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, but this is most definitly a publicity game. Dumbledore is gay, I'm willing to believe that she just mentioned that as an organic outreach of a question she received. This though? The only one for sale goes at Sotheby's and sells for a bajillion dollars, and a year down the road it gets released "because I couldn't believe how much demand there was for it, and I didn't want to deny my fans any longer." Plus, it's going to leak out onto the internet, regardless of who she gifts it to, so she might as well make a buck off of it.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if J.K. Rowling would be bashed for this "publicity" stunt if she wasn't so wildly successful? If she were a lesser known author, I suspect no one would really care.
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a fan, but I have to say, she does a lot of charity work, and these books are being auctioned off for charity at around thirty thousands pounds a piece.
Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luapc
Member # 2878

- posted      Profile for luapc   Email luapc         Edit/Delete Post 
While it is true that the proceeds of this are going to charity, only one is being auctioned and may bring in a lot, but it still doesn't explain why she isn't publishing it. No doubt it would sell at least a few million copies in general release, considering what it is, and would likely generate far more that way for the charity.

I guess I'm cynical, but Wolfe_boy seems to have the best answer, in my opinion. And that is the saddest thing of all. For Rawling's sake, as well as all the Harry Potter fans, I hope she hasn't turned that greedy.

Posts: 326 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting--in light of the recent Dumbledore controversy--that she would next relase a book left to him in the last Potterverse installment.

I agree with Jayson. It's a publicity stunt. Either this book will be released later, as a second printing, or she's trying to boost the value. Else, why would she even mention it? You don't make a Big Deal out of it unless it rewards you in some way.

As to the issue of whether or not she's being bashed because of her fame, it's the other side of the using your fame to your advantage coin.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Well I hate to break it to you, but she isn't doing this to boost the value to benefit her. Unless she's a moron.

At a petty 5% royalty with no upfront cash she'd still make more publishing ten million copies and taking her $500,000 check instead of inflating one book's value to 30,000 pounds and selling it at auction.

If she really wanted to help charity she'd auction them all and give them all to charity, or better yet publish 10 million copies and donate all profits, after cost, to charity. And raise somewhere in the millions of dollars instead of thousands.

This is stupid and I can't identify a motive here, except maybe to keep her in the limelight. But if mentioning offhandedly that a character you made up is gay is world news, then I'm not sure what she thinks she's missing.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

Don't fool yourselves - the auction might start at $60,000 (30,000 Pounds, for you Brits) it is most certainly going to sell for a few orders of magnitude higher than that, and if it sells into seven or eight figures, it wouldn't surprise me one bit. Especially with Christmas coming. This is how the uber-riche do their shopping.

I mean, seriously. What do you but for you Harry Potter obsessed kid when you're a billionaire and already own everything Harry Potter in existence? What silver-spoon kid wouldn't want this in their stocking? Could you imagine that, on Christmas morning?

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Well I hate to break it to you, but she isn't doing this to boost the value to benefit her. Unless she's a moron.

That's naiveté speaking. It's like in chess: Would you give up a queen to protect a pawn? Now, how about if that pawn's next move puts the opposing king in checkmate?

It's not this move that profits her, but her next. Build up enough hype, and it won't even matter if that book is complete garbage, you've got another record-breaking bestseller.

quote:

...I can't identify a motive here, except maybe to keep her in the limelight.

Hmm. Building up her mythos and unlimited, publicized suspence couldn't be one--could it?

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Speaking of "That's naiveté speaking" ...

quote:
That's naiveté speaking. It's like in chess: Would you give up a queen to protect a pawn? Now, how about if that pawn's next move puts the opposing king in checkmate?

Haha, if a pawn is delivering checkmate then somebody screwed up bad!

quote:
It's not this move that profits her, but her next. Build up enough hype, and it won't even matter if that book is complete garbage, you've got another record-breaking bestseller.

That sounds like you're sacking your queen for no reason because you could just draw mate with it instead. Oh, what was that? Chess analogies aren't valid here? Glad you think so, let me try something more transparent.

She doesn't need to make some strange, bizarre tactical maneuver that you seem to think she's doing in order to get another best seller, she's effing JK Rowling, the best selling fiction writer of all time! Anything she publishes will be a best seller!

Dispute my figures if you want to, but the fact remains that publishing a large volume of books and selling them will generate more than having only one book, even if the individual book's value is raised.

Why?

Because there is demand that isn't being satisfied and that is generating dead-weight-loss. And I'd love to go into further depth if you dare :-P

quote:
Hmm. Building up her mythos and unlimited, publicized suspence couldn't be one--could it?

Her mythos? And no, I don't think so. "Unlimited, publicized suspense" isn't particularly clear, but I don't see how it's mutually exclusive with "keep her in the limelight."

In any case, whatever "unlimited, publicized suspense" means, I don't see any reason why she would crave that. At least, not enough to forgo setting up a better charity effort.

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited November 01, 2007).]

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

quote:

she's effing JK Rowling, the best selling fiction writer of all time! Anything she publishes will be a best seller!

By that logic, Dan Brown's next book will outlast every other novel ever on the New York Times' bestseller lists, right? After all, The Da Vinci Code was on it for over (a record) two years.

And, as far as the best selling fiction writer of all time, someone was the best before, and will be the best after--that's life. Funny how many authors do well with their initial characters/series, but are not sot hot when they don't do what their fans have come to expect.

Remind me, how did Harper Lee's follow up book do?

Tricia V
Member # 6324

- posted      Profile for Tricia V   Email Tricia V         Edit/Delete Post 
There's something a little Michael Jackson about this latest move that casts the Dumbledore revelation in a very negative light.

As for the HP Lexicon, it is all based on text from her works. It's more of an index than an encyclopedia. The keepers of the site seeme to be very conscientious about it, and they respected the release silence around book 7. I have difficulty sympathizing with her. I guess I've gone full circle from being disinterested in the books, but curious about her personal success, to where I love the books but think she's gotten drunk with power.

Posts: 104 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Babbler, nobody even compares to JK Rowling's success, nobody even approximates it. So, a proper analogy cannot be drawn. Especially not Harper Lee.

Secondly, because JK Rowling's track-record of success--no matter what her next book is--it will be a best seller. Period. If that book falls flat on its ass then possibly the next, next book will not be successful.

But the fact is if JK Rowling put something out again, which she likely will, millions and millions of people will be dying to get their hands on with the hope it'll be as good as Harry Potter. Will it?--doesn't matter. People will try it out anyway. They'll turn out in the millions, and to think they won't is sheer stupidity.

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited November 01, 2007).]

Lynda
Member # 3574

- posted      Profile for Lynda   Email Lynda         Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't you like to know who the six were who got the copies of the book she's auctioning? And I'll bet Dan Radcliffe gets in the bidding for the book at auction. He bought something else that was auctioned - can't remember what - that was from the Potterverse. Dan's a nice guy and I think he's terrific. JKR, on the other hand, seems to be moving toward the dark side, and I don't understand it. She's trying to micromanage what happens with her books now, and once you release them, they're out there. People are gonna play with them. People will make lists or indexes of them if they're interesting enough. Some people will write fanfiction about them. It all feeds the people's love of that fictional world, which doesn't take anything away from the author's income as far as I can tell (has anyone skipped a Star Wars film because they liked Star Wars fanfics so much, they didn't care what Georgie did in his own world? I don't think so. Same with Star Trek, Harry Potter, etc.)

This lawsuit against Stever VanderArk (who created and owns the Lexicon) is strange. His publisher seems to be at fault for claiming to need more time to respond to the suit due to a death in the family, while pushing forward with marketing the book to overseas publishers during the time WB gave him to deal with the "death" in the family. (Warner Bros. is the one bringing the suit for the most part, from the way things read, but I'm no lawyer.) VanderArk's lawyer responded to WB by complaining about the Lexicon's timeline being used in some DVD stuff. I thought I'd read earlier that VanderArk was even interviewed for a DVD thing. And now they're all fighting! It isn't going to do anyone any good, and it certainly is NOT making JKR more popular with fans. It's leaving a seriously bad taste in THIS fan's mouth, anyway. I believe in protecting your copyrights, sure, but some of the stuff she's doing is way over the top. And it's not the website the suit is against, it's a print book version of it. To add insult to injury (or something), when WB asked for a print version of something, VanderArk's publisher told them to ask someone on the staff to show them how to print things out from the Lexicon online!! This all sounds very unprofessional and petty in many directions. Argh.

Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

quote:
(has anyone skipped a Star Wars film because they liked Star Wars fanfics so much, they didn't care what Georgie did in his own world? I don't think so. Same with Star Trek, Harry Potter, etc.)

Ha, well maybe they should have! Given the most recently made 3 films, I would probably expect better fiction from fans than Lucas himself.

As for the Lexicon lawsuit, I think I read that what they are trying to do directly conflicts with a similar, or almost identical, book JK plans to publish.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I kinda figured Rowlings next book would have something to do with her last books. I gather some writers have trouble letting things go---there's always some last touch needed.

Having never gotten to the point where anything I've written needed a sequel, I'm an innocent in the writing of them. I've read and enjoyed multiple-book series, of course...but how do you, the writer, keep yourself interested in the characters, and writing about them, over several stories? Anybody got an opinion?

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Ruyle
Member # 5943

- posted      Profile for Jon Ruyle   Email Jon Ruyle         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't so much lose interest as lose confidence. I get 100 pages into something and think, "who am I kidding, this sucks."
Maybe if my characters were as cool as Hagrid, Dumbledore, Ron, Hermionie, et al, it would be easier.

Posts: 101 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

I think it's an issue of character development. If your characters are truly devloped into individuals, with definite personalities, it doesn't get boring. But if they're just plot mechanisms then it cna get awfully dull.
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Zero, that's twice you've simply discounted my analogies. Does that mean that you can't answer them?

#1) Chess (strategy) can be used as an analogy. Maybe you didn't like--or more likely didn't want to--my example, but chess involves maneuvering pieces into to positions that are not threatening (or do not appear relevant) until several moves later. That is the essence of my original analogy. Strategically, her move may not better her checkbook now, but don't think it won't later. And don't think that the limited copies of her book (especially now that it's been made public)won't drive up the value or collectibility.

#2) Harper Lee is entirely relevant, because we were discussing follow-up works in relation to the success of the originals. It would be difficult (for Harper Lee OR Rowling) to live up to the success of their original work. It's nice to know that you worship "effing JK Rowling,the best selling fiction writer of all time!", but not everybody does. If she holds true to writing the mystery it could be detrimental to her speculative audience sales. There were a lot of variables that made the Potter Books a success, not just her name. AND she disappointed a lot of people with the end of the series, and that too will effect some of her fans' trust.

#3) You haven't adressed Dan Brown's record success. His book outlasted Rowling's on the NY Times (and nobody else even compares), does that guarantee the next one will? With all the bitterness that's generated, probably not. Point is, statistics don't mean everything. There are a lot of angles to view it from.

Actually, I'm ambiguous about Rowling's success. I'm not going to buy her next book. I haven't bought any of them, nor have I forced myself to finish the first, but, I don't have anything against her being successful. But, regardless of who she is, the rich have a way of getting greedy and scheming to make their successes greater than they would have been. Is she immune? You have to admit (well you'll probably argue this too) that she's been acting wierd lately.

RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

IB, I'll go ahead and discount all of your analogies, without even reading them!

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

It happens. The name's a disqualifier.
RobertB
Member # 6722

- posted      Profile for RobertB   Email RobertB         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan Browne wrote a bad book based on an idea nicked from another bad book, made a lot of money for a bit, then it fizzled. What I'm really interested in here is how to hype a seriously bad piece of work into a bestseller!
Posts: 185 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

quote:
What I'm really interested in here is how to hype a seriously bad piece of work into a bestseller!

Eragon.

Jayson Merryfield

[This message has been edited by Wolfe_boy (edited November 02, 2007).]

annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Another question is, how does hype work? You can hype a few people in to reading the book, but can you hype them into liking it? At some point, the book's going to have to stand on it's own merits, no?

And can you hype the NYT Book Review to say, "''Eragon,'' for all its flaws, is an authentic work of great talent. The story is gripping; it may move awkwardly, but it moves with force. The power of ''Eragon'' lies in its overall effects -- in the sweep of the story and the conviction of its storyteller."

'Cause if you can, tell me how, and I'll do it!

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

yawn...

quote:
#1) Chess (strategy) can be used as an analogy. Maybe you didn't like--or more likely didn't want to--my example, but chess involves maneuvering pieces into to positions that are not threatening (or do not appear relevant) until several moves later. That is the essence of my original analogy. Strategically, her move may not better her checkbook now, but don't think it won't later.

Trust me, mate (pun), it won't.

If she really thinks she's making some kind of tactical checkbook gambit, she's mistaken. Which is why she likely isn't doing this to generate money or hype her next book, which means you are mistaken.

Because in either case she's wasting her time.
1. If she wants a lot of money now (which she already has enough of) she'd open this project up to wide publishing, or else auction off more than just one. Both of these options will generate a lot more sales and dough.
2. If her "game" is to make her next, next book a best-seller, well, her current publicity stunt is pretty irrelevant. Her next book will be a best seller anyway because of who she is, not what dictionary she's auctioned for whatever charity.

I'm pretty sure she's pat and secure that any publisher will publish anything she possibly decides to write next.

So now you understand why I am forced to roll my eyes and fart in the general direction of any notion that this is a strategic maneuver to amplify the success of her next, next book....

quote:
And don't think that the limited copies of her book (especially now that it's been made public)won't drive up the value or collectibility.

Oh bother... By decreasing the supply of X its individual value will be higher, but quantity supplied will be much lower. The gains are outweighed in this case by losses, hugely. Because people who demand the book at almost any price can't all be satisfied it creates what you might call "a shortage." And there is pretty much no consumer or producer surplus, so, you're looking at one huge-ass dead-weight loss.

I wish I could draw a graph for you.

About your Harper Lee fetish,

Harper Lee was never anywhere near as successful as JK Rowling. And that's extremely relevant. Because I'm not suggesting Rowling's next book will be as wildly good as Harry Potter. But because everyone knows her name and everyone loved her other work her next book will sell. And it will sell in the tens of millions or higher. And hundreds of millions of people world-wide are going to get their hands on it hell or high water. And with demand like that... profits. Big profits. How good it is only matters for the long-run. And for her to sabotage herself with a head-start like she has, well,she'd have to make her next book be 300 bound pages of nothing but a xerox of her ass, and she'd still probably come out ahead. Trust me, its simple market behavior. People are more predictable than you give them credit for. Go to college

quote:
Actually, I'm ambiguous about Rowling's success. I'm not going to buy her next book. I haven't bought any of them, nor have I forced myself to finish the first,

Might I suggest you may not be the best reference point for you to view the world-fiction-market?

But yes, she has been acting weird lately. But gives her wins and losses, and makes very little difference for the kind of math I'm talking above.

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited November 02, 2007).]

JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Remind me, how did Harper Lee's follow up book do?

Ok, was that another joke going over my head?

I assume you ARE aware that Harper Lee never wrote another book. She helped Truman Capote research In Cold Blood and wrote (if memory serves) two essays. She worked on two additiona books both of which she destroyed unpublished. How this relates to JK Rowling's acts escapes me. Harper Lee is one of the world's most publicity shy authors, right up there with JD Salinger.

I felt that Rowling had no reason for needing or wanting additional publicity so ascribing that motive to the Dumbledore hoopdedoo was illogical. But I have to say this is odd. Why deny this to her millions of loyal fans? I honestly can't imagine her motives. She doesn't need the publicity.

Zero is right. Whether it is wonderful or horrible, her next novel WILL be a best seller. That is a given. This won't affect that one way or the other. Which still leaves me wondering. Simply attention hungry for some unfathomable reason? Possibly? Making a serious error in judgment? Possibly. I dunno.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited November 03, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grant John
Member # 5993

- posted      Profile for Grant John   Email Grant John         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone else get the horrible feeling the 1 copy will be given by Paris Hilton as a Christmas present to her dog Tinkerbell?

Grant

Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that Rowling doesn't need the publicity. And that her next book will almost certainly be a bestseller. . .

THAT is what makes this move so odd and rather annoying to me. True, it is good that she is donating money to charity, but she could donate the leather bound, jewel encrusted, hand illustrated copy to charity and it would still make big money. The rest of us could just buy the standard mass printed version. I'm sorry, but no one can convince me that this was the only, or even the best way to make money for charity. This reeks of a publicity stunt.

An even if you discredit the entire Dumbldore issue, saying she never really imagined that it would get as much publicity (a stretch) it still did give her publicity. And now this. I am starting to wonder what is going on in her mind. As the hoopla over the final book started to fade, did she start going through withdrawals of being the front page news? Does she have to be the here and now?

Someone can have billions of dollars and be a pop culture icon, but still need more attention.

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

wrenbird, I think you hit it on all counts. On a RATIONAL level, Rowling needing more attention doesn't make sense. She will sell books no matter what she does. But this was certainly not the best way to make money for a charity. Zero was correct on the economics of the thing.

So that leaves one falling back on explanations that indicate emotional motivations. It could be that she is hooked on media attention. God knows, she has received enough to get her hooked over the years. And we all act on an emotional level a good part of the time.

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Yes. That certainly makes the most sense.
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
I just don't buy it. It seems inconsistent with what she's done in the past. I don't think this has anything to do with attention or money or charity.

"'The Tales of Beedle the Bard' is really a distillation of the themes found in the Harry Potter books, and writing it has been the most wonderful way to say goodbye to a world I have loved and lived in for 17 years," Rowling said in a statement.

Rowling told the British Broadcasting Corp. that the book of fairytales had helped her say goodbye to Harry's world.

"It's not about Harry, Ron and Hermione, but it comes from that world," she told BBC radio in an interview broadcast Thursday. "So it's been therapeutic in a way."

Rowling said she was working on a new book, "a half-finished book for children that I think will probably be the next thing I publish."

I think if she was so starved for attention, she would have been doing things like this between the seven books, too. She did a good job of staying out of the light between books. If she wanted attention, mass-producing this would be much better.

As has been said, if it was about money (for herself or charity) there are better ways to get it.

Maybe I'm naive, but to me it seems plain and simple. She did it for personal reasons. It was therapeutic. It revisited themes from the books, but not the characters. Sort of a summary--for her, not us. That's why the book is only being given as gifts to friends and family. The charity copy was probably an after thought or a nice gesture, but not the "Point" of the book.

Rowling is smart and I imagine she has publicists and PR people advising her on things. If she was sitting at home trying to scheme up ways to get attention or money, this wouldn't be it.

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Interesting. Except that if it is therapeutic, which it well could be, that's still an emotional motivation. And it still doesn't explain why make so few and why only auction one, and why charity?

I think these mysteries are still best explained as attention starvation, which is my diagnosis until more information is available

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited November 03, 2007).]

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
There are few because they are handwritten, six as a way of saying thanks to people who helped make HP a success, and a seventh for charity.

Not just any charity, but one she helped to found -- The Children's Voice. There are kids in Eastern Europe who are mentally handicapped and kept in cages. The aim of The Children's Voice is to remove these kids from such barbarism and bring them proper care and treatment.

She works with several charities. They say that she's not just name and money, but a patron who works with them actively.

I don't think it's at all naive to wish her well with this.

Since the books are handwritten, and she's an imaginative lady, I bet they're all a little different, with a line, a joke or even a character specially written for the person who will receive the book. I think spending her time writing a book by hand is a fabulous way of saying 'thanks' to friends. It's far more meaningful to spend time and imagination on friends than money.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/fict ion/article2789069.ece

Pat

Edited to add:

As has been said, she's a smart lady. I doubt she needs us to tell her how to raise money because she's worth 280 million and richer than the Queen.

The bookmakers think the auction will make half a million pounds. Against her 280 mill that's peanuts, so it's not about the money. The auction has surely generated tons of publicity for The Children's Voice. It seems to me that this publicity will help its work by increasing awareness of the problem and generating public sympathy and polical will to help the kids.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2979033.stm

[This message has been edited by TaleSpinner (edited November 03, 2007).]

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

It would generate as much publicity for the Children's Voice if she published it and gave all of the royalties to the charity and it would give them more money. That wouldn't keep her from giving hand written copies to special friends either. So I still think it's odd.

As for the reaction of her fans, you might read down a few comments on that link you provided. There are more than a few, including some posting there, who consider what she has done a slap in the face to them. I'm not a big fan of hers, so I have nothing vested in it. As far as I'm concerned, Rowling has every right to do whatever she pleases with her own work, but with a celebrity as big as she is, you can expect people to comment when she chooses to do something this strange.

Edit: And I have to repeat that writting something, publicizing it, and refusing to allow the millions of fans who have made her a millionaire to purchase and read it is strange.

annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe she's just an odd duck?
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
To believe that people are mostly base or selfish--to constantly question their motives-- will, in the end, rob us of hope.

Remember hope?

Edit:

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited November 03, 2007).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

I don't have a source on this, but I thought awhile back I read that her net worth was over a billion, significantly more than just 280 million.

Not that it's especially relevant, our point is the same.

JeanneT
Member # 5709

Most people have not said she was base or selfish, hoptoad.

She may indeed just be an odd duck, annepin. That would be a valid explanation for what seems to us strange decisions.

I also read that her fortune was over one billion, but honestly once you have over a quarter of a billion does it really matter? Yeah, what you said, Zero. lol

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I do SF. I like strange.

But I don't think JKR's strange. And I'm certain she's not a duck. I think that to think she's strange is strange.

Strangely,
Pat

P.S. Hoptoad's right. This has been a very negative, cynical, disappointing thread.

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, how would your life hold up to the scrutiny that goes with literary success on that kind of level? Would you handle the fame and fortune as well? Would you even have written another book? (Think Margaret Mitchell or Harper Lee. Mega-success...then silence.)
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

I don't see speculating about her reasons for doing something that strikes a number of us as odd or strange as being negative or mean. How would someone's LIFE hold up? No one is discussing her LIFE for heaven's sake.

No one has said a word about her personal life. I don't know what it is, and I don't care. Harper Lee's work will stand up whether she ever writes a novel or not, and I assume she will not. Are you criticising her for that? I beg your pardon but that seems out of line to me.

Would I write more novels than Harper Lee? Not that it matters, yes. But I would never have the colossal nerve to compare myself to her either.

There are a couple of reasons why what Rowling has done is viewed as strange. 1. Rowling has a large fan base that she has stated many times she cares about yet she is putting out a work that she is refusing to allow them to read. 2. She says she is doing this to raise money for a charity and yet if she simply gave the charity the royalties for publishing it, it would make MUCH more money for that charity.

No one has said she is a bad person. In fact, whether she optimises the income from it or not, it will be needed money for an excellent charity and one she was instrumental in starting. And if she is an "odd duck" so are a lot of writers. (Edit: Honestly, if you are offended by someone being called an odd duck, you need to get a grip.)

I would say getting all bent out of shape because an author is referred to as an "odd duck" or because people speculate on her reasoning is reacting WAY out of proportion. It is actually rather light hearted speculation on the reasons for her decisions and in no way an attack or even really a criticism of her. (Well, some fans have been pretty critical but that's not a big issue in this thread).

My question is: Why are you getting so defensive on the subject?

Edit: Ok, let me add this to what is rapidly turning into a bit of a rant. I try not to know anything about celebrities lives. All too often, if I know about them they are such jerks I can never enjoy their work again.

I know absolutely nothing about Rowling's personal life, EXCEPT that as a writer she "paid her dues." I do know that she started from nothing, sat her butt down in a chair and struggled through writing first book and then put it out there through rejections until it was published. And the first one was NOT a raving success (unlike the much mentioned Harper Lee). She kept writing anyway. If memory serves, she was not a big best seller until the THIRD book.

So as far as I'm concerned, she earned what she got just like we all hope to. I have no criticism of her whatsoever (except that I'd like her to be a better writer. I find comparing her with the "greats" a little unjustified, but people enjoy her work so even there I won't be too harsh.)

That still doesn't mean that I don't find this decision odd. It is and if you're all upset at people speculating on why she'd put out a book but not publish it for the public, I don't know what to say except don't read the thread, because I reject the accusation of having been mean or judging her "life".

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited November 05, 2007).]

wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
Like JeanneT, I think there is nothing negative or mean about saying someone is acting strangely. Fame does alot to people. The fact that Rowling's fame might be affecting her actions is not saying she is a bad person or a crazy person. She's just complex. We're all writers, we're supposed to like complex people

Oh, and if you want to see a negative thread, read the one about Chris Paolini and Eragon . . . though, I agree with what people said. Truth is, Hatrackers are very nice and rather polite. I've seen forums where people are constantly spewing negativity about anything and everything.

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 

quote:

When it came to finding “thank you” presents for the people who have been most closely involved with Harry Potter over the years, nothing shop bought seemed personal enough. I therefore decided to handwrite a limited number of copies of “Beedle the Bard”.

She went on on to say that there were only six people she really wanted to give them to, but for production reasons there had to be seven books. What to do with the last one?

She decided to auction it.

Edit: Fair enough, I reckon.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited November 05, 2007).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

A stray comment about Rowling "paying her dues" brings up something I've often wondered about...

Anybody 'round the SF / Fantasy field ever "run into" Rowling before the fame and fortune bit? Harry Potter seemed to spring into public consciousness without much notice---I don't recall hearing of it until I saw a display in a bookstore and noted it was published (in the US) by a publisher not noted for fantasy.

I gather from the backstory bit that she was unemployed and broke when she conceived Harry Potter...but if she were a struggling writer already, wouldn't there be, say, a collection of old MSS and rejection slips? Writers' workshops? Contact with other fans of fantasy?

JeanneT
Member # 5709

My understanding is that the first HP was her first novel (but I could easily be wrong). My "paying her dues" comment had to do with the large number of rejections it got and the fact that it was not an instant success. I have read that it sold decently but nothing outstanding until the following novels came out. Then people who read the third novel went back and bought the earlier two.

She may not have worked at it as long as some of us but she wasn't like Paolini who is much criticised (rightfully imo) for having it handed to him. She earned what she got. I admire any writer who sticks through the rejections and snarky reviewers to make it.

Like I said, beyond the little I have read about her history as a writer, I know nothing about her personal life. It's none of my business and I don't even want to know. She seems from the little I do know like a decent person, but that doesn't mean I won't speculate when she does something that strikes me as strange.

Edit: There are plenty of people who become an overnight success after working for years at it.

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
It would be nice to read the actual thing, A mass produced copy would not diminish the value of the handwritten ones.
I don't care why she did it, I'm too worried about my own motives today to worry about some British lady's.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

People who claim a mass-production would diminish the book should apply that same reasoning to the Harry Potter series. Did any of you feel the value was profoundly diminished by buying a published paperback? Wouldn't it have been much more valuable to read nothing instead?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.