Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Golden Compass (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Golden Compass
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think fantasies will be improved if we become afraid to use the hero's journey in them because someone says only Tolkien can do that. For heaven's sake, let's just as well say that Tolkien wrote a fantasy so why should the rest of us bother?

Edit: And our preoccupation with this journey goes back a few thousand years. We can twink it and fool with it all we want to. It is THE monomyth and we can't get away from it. As an example, my hero is invariably female. But when you go down to the bare bones it's still the hero's journey. Your journey might be over entire nations or within one city. The evil will vary. The monsters you face may be Grendel, orcs or just humans. But that doesn't change it and it is by no means limited to speculative fiction.

Ok--lecture over.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited November 26, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Jeanne. Now I don't have to say it. I agree wholeheartedly.

Oh, but I will say this: <b>tell a good story.</b> Do whatever it takes to tell a good story.

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vanderbleek
Member # 6535

- posted      Profile for Vanderbleek   Email Vanderbleek         Edit/Delete Post 
See, when I think fantasy I don't think Tolkien...my view of elves and goblins (and trolls) are entirely different...

I don't think The Golden Compass was like LOTR at all...Besides, possibly, the use of some golden item...

Posts: 50 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
"See, when I think fantasy I don't think Tolkien..."

That's a bit like saying, "when I think of light bulbs, I don't think Edison."

Nothing to say about the Golden Compass, other than to note my passing disbelief that this thread somehow managed to avoid lockdown.

Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vanderbleek
Member # 6535

- posted      Profile for Vanderbleek   Email Vanderbleek         Edit/Delete Post 
But I don't think Edison...he didn't even get it working. Actually I usually think "W."

Guess my mind doesn't work the same as everyone elses'...

Posts: 50 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
"I don't remember a single father figure getting "bumped off" in LotR"

I was thinking of Gandalf. Poetic license?

I agree my attitude towards epic fantasy is unreasonable. It's a question of taste. Or perhaps in my case, lack thereof.

Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I can hardly blame Tolkien for the mediocrity of his imitators. I can blame them, and do.

(When I think of light bulbs, I have to think of Edison...in the county I live in, he's kind of a tourist attraction and a cottage industry.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
So I went and saw the movie tonight. And now im an athiest, damit.
Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Ah. I consider Gandalf a mentor figure rather than a father figure.

Edit: Sorry about the atheist thing. It's all a plot, of course. We're putting something in the popcorn.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited December 08, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vanderbleek
Member # 6535

Just saw the movie...

Totally blew the ending, and seemed to emphasize the wrong things, but it was still pretty good. The actors and voices were really well done.

Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
--May have a spoiler or two.--

I have never read the book, so I didn't know what to expect when I saw the movie last night. I thought it was pretty bad. Sure, a lot of talented people were involved, namely the digital artists, the acting was usually pretty good, can't say the same for the score... But, the main problem was that the story kept blipping forward from random point to random point without taking any time to make me care about anything. There was always something going on, but it didn't ever connect very well to what was going on five minutes ago. A lot of characters were just dropped and forgotten, like the James Bond fellow. And the "surprise" darth vader twist "I'm your mother" could be spotted a thousand miles away. In fact, I managed to guess this "twist" the very first scene the golden lady was in.

I think there is potential for very interesting fiction, but the film version simply jumped around randomly and made the whole experience entirely incoherent. With a pretty random battle involving whole armies that appeared out of nowhere and meant nothing--to top things off, and then an extremely inconclusive ending to boot.

Not very impressed. It's a notch above Eragon, certainly. But well below Narnia, Harry Potter, and the Lord of the Rings.

(a 4 out of 10.)

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Graff
Member # 2648

- posted      Profile for 'Graff   Email 'Graff         Edit/Delete Post 
Please don't judge The Golden Compass on the film alone, Zero. The movie may have been painfully bad, but the book most certainly was not.
Posts: 114 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

I haven't seen the film, but I read they didn't even include the last several chapters, and of course they cut any and all controversial material which meant they took out all philosophical basis for the entire thing. I would say it's disappointing except it's about what I expected.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.