Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » 11-26-07 Did You Write?

Author Topic: 11-26-07 Did You Write?
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
11-26-07 Did You Write?
This is an attempt to embarrass me into writing. I am seeing that writing this note with no results is working to get me to write SOMETHING. I guess it is working. I am also hoping it helps prodding you into writing something some time during the week so you can report success.
I consider editing, even if it is someone else's work as writing, along with world building as long as something gets on paper. Poetry and articles could also count.

I restarted my work in progress, deciding it would be easier to use a fresh start rather than trying to save either of the first two attempts. I am about where I was before, but I like the results a lot better. In two sessions I wrote 4 pages and 2414 words. Again this is the story about the woodworker and the fairies, but it is flowing smoothly this time, making sense, and reading better. I am comfortable with this start.

In spite of having a long weekend, I did not get ahead on my story ideas. I am running up to date. I am comfortable, though slightly disappointed. I would have loved to gain about three our four ideas for the month.

I got my Christmas ornaments ready to take to work today. I doubt I will sell any of them as the economy has been bad and few people have a lot of spare money. I did forget to add eye hooks to a few of my newest ornaments. I also forgot to bring the wire hooks to hang them. that will all be solved when I go to work tomorrow. Most of it done now.

I had a small bowl on the style that my duck bowl and turkey bowl were made, which has the bark on the outer edge of the bowl. This is called a natural edged bowl. I decided to add a dove head to the bowl as I had added a duck and turkey head to the other bowls. This bowl will be a present.

I am not sure how to do a story idea based on above, other than a team making emergency equipment, then having to make adjustments and modifications to it to get everything to work right, while the equipment is needed to be used. The other option would be to modify one of the previous examples such as making a special item for the king on an emergency basis, then having to make little corrections in front of the king so it will be perfect.

As to the question of the week,
I can say, YES, I DID WRITE

Did you write?

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, up to 46, 617 so far this month on my Nano project. I estimate the book is going to require 15-20k more words, hope to sneak them all in this week. Most weekdays I can manage 4-5k, so it's possible. Wish me luck!

Oh, and I wrote up the Tae Kwon Do tournament my son competed in last weekend and it got printed in the local edition of the big city newspaper, very exciting!

[This message has been edited by KayTi (edited November 26, 2007).]

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh, nothing like the holidays to gum up the writing systems. I haven't written. I'm stuck at about 30,000 on nano. I'm feeling a lack of confidence on my other WIPs, so I've done nothing with them, either.

One of those weeks...

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Igwiz
Member # 6867

- posted      Profile for Igwiz   Email Igwiz         Edit/Delete Post 
I did. About 1500 words today. Not bad, considering I hadn't written since Wednesday.

Still, its something.

Posts: 269 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KStar
Member # 4968

- posted      Profile for KStar           Edit/Delete Post 
About to start writing for the night. I've adopted a terrible habit of staying up until 3 or 4 a.m. to get at least 2500 words down.

I try to avoid all social activity, but around the holidays it gets difficult. So I've got to make up for lost time.

Good luck to you all. Write, write, write.

Posts: 141 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JFLewis
Member # 6957

- posted      Profile for JFLewis   Email JFLewis         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm halfway through with the second short story in a little project I'm working on... I need about two or three more before I can actually start going ahead with it, though. Even so, progress is still progress.

Heck, I even blogged today.

So, yes, I wrote.

[This message has been edited by JFLewis (edited November 28, 2007).]

Posts: 62 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
I have written this previous week though not anywhere near as much as I have wished to. Because of my earlier success in Nano I was able to write more than half of what I wanted, now I'm a little over 56,000 words and am now at a dead point in the story where I don't know where to go.

Maybe I should just end it soon, edit it or just rewrite it. The latter sounds easier for now as I feel I can add things into it and fix up my writing.

Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I just finished my NaNo story, so yes, I did write.

Now for a rest!

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Still down. I hope to force something out shortly, though...it's been almost three months and I'm getting concerned...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricia V
Member # 6324

- posted      Profile for Tricia V   Email Tricia V         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I did write. I'm trying to talk myself into writing right now.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yea Darklight! Go take a nap.

As of yesterday I'm up to 42K on my NaNo. So, yes. Definately writing. Most days are 2K days so, I whould make the 50K. Sunday was an awe inspiring (at least to me) 5K day!

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
yes, i did. and wrote and wrote and wrote. I went to a writers conference, pitched an agent, got really inspired about some changes I knew I needed to make, rewrote, sent her the first fifty, and got the reply "I really got pulled in, send me the whole thing." so I finished the rewrite and dropped it into monday's mail. Now I am finally coming up for air. Hoo-Haa!
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, look at you, debhoag! You disappear for eons and return with an agent bite. Congrats! Which book is this for?
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
I had posted the first thirteen here in the summer, as Murder in the Cards. I changed the title to Medicine Man Murders, cut out about 10k of backstory, and added a little juice - humor, flirting and fun. Thanks for asking, I*'m really pumped about it. It feels like it's in the groove, we'll see if I'm right.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.