Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » your opinion on a title real quick

Author Topic: your opinion on a title real quick
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm working on the final draft of my novel (I hope). It is still untitled. If you wouldn't mind taking a second, could you just give me your first impression of this title? Without knowing anything else about the book, if you just saw the title on the spine of the book at a bookstore, what would you think of it?

PARIAH COMPLEX

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure.

Pariah Complexity sounds better to my ear, but probably won't work with what you are doing.

I am sure as a title it is fine, and others will love it, but you asked for a quick response

I don't like the word complex. Sounds like bad psychiatry or a building.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Igwiz
Member # 6867

- posted      Profile for Igwiz   Email Igwiz         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on what you're going for. If disaffected youth, psychological disfunction, or self-inflicted solitude play a large part in the book, then Pariah Complex is groovy.

BUT, its a fairly high-level word if you are looking at it from the eyes of appealing to a broad audience.

Synonyms, according to thesaurus.com, searching on "pariah" are: "bum, castaway, deportee, derelict, displaced person, exile, expatriate, fugitive, hobo, leper, outsider, persona non grata, rascal, refugee, tramp, undesirable, vagabond, vagrant, waif"

I've always loved the word "derelict," especially in space. It brings up lots of connotations that I like, and I would pick up a book with the title, "The Derelict Complex," more readily than pariah.

If you are talking about more of a forced exile, rather than a self-induced one, then "exile" returns the following synonyms: "bum, castaway, deportee, derelict, displaced person, exile, expatriate, fugitive, gypsy, hobo, leper, pariah, rascal, refugee, reprobate, tramp, untouchable, vagabond, vagrant, wretch"

The Castaway Complex has a nice alliterative ring to it.

However, I think you should try to find what works for you as the working title. Because the publisher's marketing division will certainly weigh in if it gets purchased. According to the foreword, OSC wanted "Ender's Shadow" to be named "Urchin." I think he settled for the first section being called Urchin instead.

In any case, I think its important to try to find a catchy title, but realize that selling the body of the book is a lot more important (IMHO).

Posts: 269 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice...vague enough so that you don't know whether it's a psychological disorder or a group of buildings.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't like the word complex. Sounds like bad psychiatry or a building.

Lol! I agree here.

I'm not too fond of it. It seems like the theme has become the title. It would be like calling LotR "Good Prevails Against Evil" or something.

Much of my impression, I guess, would depend on the genre. Oddly enough, if it were sci fi I'd be more interested because it might be some concept or the name of some building (as stated above) that has importance in the story.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds fine to me, but remember, the publisher will help you with a title. From blogs I've read, the title doesn't make much difference when it comes to submitting. If it sucks, they'll help you change it.
Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KStar
Member # 4968

- posted      Profile for KStar           Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I like it very much. I would read it based on the title alone, regardless of anything else. It's clever and kind of edgy.

Posts: 141 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
I like the word "complex" it works
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AstroStewart
Member # 2597

- posted      Profile for AstroStewart   Email AstroStewart         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on what you're going for. Since I don't know exactly what a "pariah complex" is, the first thing that popped in to my head for comparison was "Oedipus complex" and "Electra complex." If that's the comparison you're going for, some psychological disorder type thing, then I say go for it.
Posts: 280 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KStar
Member # 4968

The impression I got was more emotional than psychological. A pariah complex is something I might feel sympathy for... that's the impression anyhow.
Posts: 141 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Add a "The" to it and it could pass for a Robert Ludlum title...

There's nothing wrong with a title that conveys multiple meanings to the reader. One of my favorite titles is "Midnight by the Morphy Watch." If you don't know the story, what does the title mean?

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
The Bourne Pariah Identity Complex
Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KStar
Member # 4968

ha ha. Too funny.
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not so sure that it's particularly high lit in itself - chastity pariah is the name of a character in Elvira: Mistress of the Dark. Considering that it's one of my all-time favorite movies, I'm not sure I'm very high lit, either. But I like it for a title, and the possibility of several different meanings (I think somebody pointed out the play on "complex") makes it intriguing. I'd take a look at it on a shelf for that very reason. It makes me wonder what it's about.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.