Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Ancient courting customs

Author Topic: Ancient courting customs
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Could anyone please point me towards a reference on ancient courting customs? I'm interested in megalithic times, but pagan customs or perhaps those of tribes that have been isolated from modern religions would be fine.

I want to know:

Would they have been monogomous? (I need a 'yes')
Would man and woman have chosen each other? (I need a 'yes')
How would they have chosen each other and courted? (Dance? Prim and proper? Romp in the woods to check compatibility?)

Google has gotten me as far as "handfasting" but I need the lead up, the bit before they promise themselves to each other.

My only references at the moment are the Flintstones, and those cartoons where the man bops the woman over the head with a club and drags her off by the hair :-(

To be clear, in the hope of avoiding the creation of a thread of elevated temperature, I'm not asking whether ancient ways were right, moral or otherwise, but just what they might have been.

Thanks in advance,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
halogen
Member # 6494

- posted      Profile for halogen   Email halogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Might not be the right area...

quote:
Navajo Traditions
http://www.weddingdetails.com/lore/native.cfm
White corn meal symbolizes the male and yellow the female. The Navajo combine the two meals into a corn mush and put it into a wedding basket before the traditional ceremony.

The Navajo bride was an equal partner to her husband. The couple would share the maize pudding during the ceremony to symbolize the marriage bond.

quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navajo_people#Cultural_characteristics
Historically, the structure of the Navajo society is largely a matrilocal system in which only women were allowed to own livestock and land. Once married, a Navajo man would move into his bride's dwelling and clan since daughters (or, if necessary, other female relatives) were traditionally the ones who received the generational inheritance (this is mirror-opposite to a patrilocal tradition). Any children are said to belong to the mother's clan and be "born for" the father's clan. The clan system is exogamous, meaning it was, and mostly still is, considered a form of incest to marry or date anyone from any of a person's four grandparents clans.

quote:
Would man and woman have chosen each other?

You might have luck looking at the history of Matriarchy.

[This message has been edited by halogen (edited December 09, 2007).]

Posts: 207 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
Whew! when you said ancient, I thought you were going to be asking about the eighties. I still have disco ball nightmares.

Try info on hunter gatherers. My memories of that (only slightly fuzzier than my memories of the eighties) are much like the Navajo tradition. Matralinial, because it's easy to know who the mother is, perhaps a rule for smaller groups that they only marry outside their own tribe, may or may not have extensive ceremony, husband joins wife's family/clan, and dissolution is possible by either party.

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like you're talking more about the 70's there Deb.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

shh! I represent that remark!

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited December 09, 2007).]

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
...or carnival folk.

Whoops, I think I was carnivalist. Sorry.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the pointers, halogen and Deb, most useful.

Oddly, I had some Navajo ideas in mind already, and searching on hunter/gatherers has led me to realize the story is actually set in the late bronze age.

Good to see you around again, Deb.

Cheers,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

right back at you, Talespinner!
Grovekeeper
Member # 5650

- posted      Profile for Grovekeeper           Edit/Delete Post 
TaleSpinner,

There are so many ancient cultures to choose from, perhaps the questions you should be asking are not "Would they have been <however>?", but rather "Could they have been <however>?"

Social mores develop because of the influences imposed by the environment in which a society exists, and (unless you're writing historical fiction about a known culture -- in which case disregard all of this) you have the freedom to shape that environment in such a way that it shapes the moral code your characters follow.

If you need monogamy in your story, provide an environmental reason for your characters to practice it. This can be done on many different levels; perhaps in your society's history, it was noticed that people who slept around died more often than people who did not. Plausible actual reason: STD. Reason plausible to bronze-age characters: The gods frown upon promiscuity and smite those who are not monogamous, and now it's religious law, despite the fact that the disease no longer exists.

-G

[This message has been edited by Grovekeeper (edited December 10, 2007).]

Posts: 60 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm at a loss. If you want your characters to be monogamous, man and woman, and a specific method of choosing each other, just go for it and arrange your details accordingly. What little anthropology I've read suggests there are a wide variety of courting customs to choose from or base your stuff on. Good luck.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

Thanks Grovekeeper, Robert.

Pat

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.