Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » I hereby declare a ban...

Author Topic: I hereby declare a ban...
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
on writing stories in which genetic anomalies give people superpowers as the next step of human evolution. This applies to all writers everywhere.

"X-Men" did it, and it was super-cool. "Heroes" did it, and it was even cooler (if anyone wants to argue that point, bring it on). I just finished reading "Sole Survivor" by Dean Koontz. In it, children develop superpowers because of genetic anomalies, and it turns out they're the next wave of human evolution. Seems to me I've read that one somewhere before, Dean. When you try to make that the big reveal at the end of the book, I roll my eyes and think, "I wonder where you got THAT idea." That plotline is hereby retired (except that "Heroes" and "X-Men" are grandfathered in; they may continue making as many TV shows, movies, and spinoffs as they want. I reserve the right to revoke this grandfather clause as soon as either of the above-mentioned goes on for too long).

The penalty for breaking the ban is death in the same manner in which one of your poor characters has died at your sadistic hands.

[This message has been edited by wetwilly (edited December 13, 2007).]

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
It wasn't even original then...I remember seeing it in the first batch of post-atomic-war stories that showed up after the end of World War II. Mutants with superpowers abounded...

(Not that I read them after WWII...I'm not that old...I read 'em when they got reprinted in the seventies and eighties.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
*Grips forehead and concentrates*

I feel a great deal of uncertainty within you, wetwilly. Your emotions betray you...

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
Besides, everyone knows the next step in human evolution will be organic USB flash drives growing out of our thumbs.

As for the concept, what I wouldn't mind seeing is something that describes how these changes are needed on an evolutionary level. It seems that necessity is often a factor in evolutionary concepts, so the idea of random superpowers as a product of evolution is a little off to me.

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
This has been a cliche for a long time. That doesn't mean it couldn't be done well and that it has been done before doesn't prove anything. The question is always was it well done with a different take on the trope.
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supraturtle
Member # 1518

- posted      Profile for supraturtle   Email supraturtle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a fan of duplicated limbs myself...
Posts: 121 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted, it's been a long time since I last read the comics (and I only had a passing interest) but I thought the concept in Xmen was that they had developed powers as a result of pollution. Whether the mutants represented the next step in human evolution was the point of contention between Xavier and Magneto.

I actually don't have a problem with this theme, or in seeing more of it. I like it, and though it's cliche, there's a lot of potential for it to be reworked. One could argue it was already cliche when Heroes did it.

I do agree, if that's the _only_ point of the story (i.e., as it sounds like in that Koontz's novel), then yes, its a bit trite. One of those first ideas that should probably get thrown out. But I just finished Octavia Butler's Dawn, which could be boiled down to the same idea, though she puts twists in it--in this case, aliens are guiding human evolution to suit their own purposes, but they view cancer, i.e. a mutation, as something that can help further the human race.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Arthur C Clarke wrote that in one of novels back in the 50s? 60s? What was the name of it?
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

- posted      Profile for JOHN           Edit/Delete Post 
Your first mistake was reading Dean Koontz. Sorry couldn’t resist. There’s lot’s of lame plot devices out there I could do without. It’s funny you mentioned X-Men, though. As even Stan Lee admitted he got the idea as he couldn’t think of anymore origin stories and decided “they’re just born with it.” Laziness the mother of ingenuity.

JOHN!

Posts: 401 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
Clarke's novel was Childhood's End.

[This message has been edited by rickfisher (edited December 13, 2007).]

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Graff
Member # 2648

- posted      Profile for 'Graff   Email 'Graff         Edit/Delete Post 
A story that uses the conceit of mutants to explore other story ideas is perfectly acceptable. A story which has as its pay-off this sort of idea? Not worth the time taken to write it or the paper it was printed on. This sort of distinction needs to be made.

After all, any story could use as faster-than-light travel as a facet of its plot. We'd be bored to tears if a story's resolution relied on FTL as a "big reveal."

Posts: 114 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marzo
Member # 5495

- posted      Profile for Marzo   Email Marzo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

We'd be bored to tears if a story's resolution relied on FTL as a "big reveal."

Tonight on Trading Spaces we make Sally and Ben's livingroom into the next stage of human evolution! How will they react to the big reveal?

Posts: 201 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I was thinking of a series of early Poul Anderson stories...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tigertinite
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for tigertinite   Email tigertinite         Edit/Delete Post 
If the story fits and is done well then we shouldn't worry ourselves too much on the whole how they got their powers aspect. I have no problem with any story written well. . .I don't usually like time travel but my writing group just critiqued a wonderfully well written piece of a rather hackneyed topic. . . it's all in how th tale is presented.
Posts: 99 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.