Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Coming back down to earth...

Author Topic: Coming back down to earth...
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I got my first ever hard-copy-real-in-the-paper rejection letter today (I refused to print out the three email rejections I've received, since they're only real rejections when they're printed) for my story The Taste of Something New, and my large inflated head is slowly deflating as I drift down towards the poor ashamed soil beneath my feet. I am depressed.

Of course, it's only a rejection. I'm a little miffed that it took over 6 months to get a response, but that's the way On Spec works, and the fact that it took as long as it did means (so far as I can tell) that I made it into the near final rounds of decision making, only to be cut as they made final decisions. Oh well. Here's the comment I received back:

quote:
The story is framed, as we learn at the end, by the "letter people will find when I'm dead". We see a lot and sadly, this plot device is an overused cliche in this genre. Show, don't tell. Make the story come alive, and make the protagonist at least a little worthy of our respect.

From these comments, I have two courses of action...

1. Rewrite the ending to remove the cliche mentioned, and try and rewrite certain sections to let the reader in on the personal turmoil my MC feels as he learns about the nature of what is happening to him.

2. Ignore their comments and resubmit this story, as is, elsewhere.

I'm thinking of tacking both ways, though. I'm going to send it off to one more market and, while waiting, try and rework the story to fit with the comments I've received. I think that might be best, since I've really worked this story over to my own satisfaction, and I think that the cliche happens to be a strong point in the story, a change in perspective for the reader. I guess if I received the same feedback a second time, then I would have sufficient reason to force a rewrite.

Nonetheless, this is not the Christmas present I was hoping for this year.

Seasons greetings all!

Jayson Merryfield

[This message has been edited by Wolfe_boy (edited December 28, 2007).]

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
you are talking about rewriting and/or resubmitting, but I don't believe you actually mention whether or not YOU think it needs a re-write. I get crits and rejects and generally sulk around for a while first, but if the crit is RIGHT, then of course you rewrite because that makes it a better story. So the real question, my friend, is - do you think you can make it a better story? Because if you don't agree with the reject opinion, how are you going to "improve" your piece? If you get my drift. You're a good writer, Jerry. The really important thing is whether you agree with them or not. If they're right, then get busy. If they're wrong, send it somewhere that will appreciate you. And, happy holidays!
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda
Member # 3574

- posted      Profile for Lynda   Email Lynda         Edit/Delete Post 
At least they gave you some concrete, useful comments, which is a rarity in itself! Since they said that device has become a cliche, I think your idea of rewriting it is a good one. They, as people who see tons of stories every day and publish only the cream of the crop, know today's market far better than we writers do. We're isolated in our offices (or wherever we write) and may think an idea is so fresh, so new, so wonderful . . . and then find out a lot of other writers had the same idea. (It just kills me to go to the movies and see ideas I'd just started writing play out on the screen . . . ah well).

I take critiques with a large dose of salt, but this one, coming from a publisher, merits more consideration than your average critique (not that I dismiss critiques, but I do, at least, consider my opinion to be pretty much as worthy as the person who wrote the critique). Lucky you to get such input from the market itself! Good luck with the rewrite!

Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless they specifically asked to see a rewrite, I'd go with Option Three: Rewrite according to your own take on their comments, then submit the story somewhere else.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.