Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Books about writing (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Books about writing
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been re-reading King's On Writing during my little break from the forum. Although I don't read a lot of books on writing because I think you learn most about writing fiction from reading and writing fiction--this is one that I think is one of the best. It has given me immense encouragement and help since I first read it.

So if you were going to recommend the book on writing fiction that has helped or influenced you most--what would it be?

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited December 30, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed On Writing, as well. Not just for the writing advice, which is simple and effective, but it was a fascinating glimpse into the man, too.

I've really only read two other books. Plot & Structure by James Scott Bell, which helped me get the storytelling part down better, and the seemingly obligatory (around here anyway) Characters & Viewpoint by OSC, which is very helpful.

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

I've been meaning to read Plot & Structure. The only Card book I've read is the Writing Science Fiction and Fantasy one which I didn't find very helpful.
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I love writing books. I think for me they take the place of mentors. It's fascinating to me to learn how and why other people write. I also enjoy glimpsing into other's experience, insight, and perspective on the craft. Most books are also packed full of encouragement, for which I'm always thirsty (though I think one must take such with a grain of salt).

On that note, the books I've really enjoyed include On Becoming a Writer by Dorothea Brande; The Modern Library Writer's Workshop by Stephen Koch; and The Writing Life by Anne Dillard. Another good book is Bruce Holland Rogers's Word Work: Surviving and Thriving as a Writer.

On a more technical level, I've referred to the following:
OSC's Characters and Viewpoint and How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy; Noah Lukeman's The First Five Pages and The Plot Thickens; Beginnings, Middles, and Endings and Characters, Emotions, and Viewpoint by Nancy Kress; Steering the Craft by Ursula Le Guin; Plot and Structure by James Scott Bell; On Writing Well by William Zinsser; Self-Editing for Fiction Writers by Browne & King; How to Write a Damn Good Novel by James N. Frey (not to be confused with the _other_ Frey); Plot by Ansen Dibell; and Blockbuster Plots by Martha Alderson.

Er... I think that about does it.

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited December 30, 2007).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamieFord
Member # 3112

- posted      Profile for JamieFord   Email JamieFord         Edit/Delete Post 
On Becoming a Novelist by John Gardner is a great book.
Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KPKilburn
Member # 6876

- posted      Profile for KPKilburn   Email KPKilburn         Edit/Delete Post 
The only books I own on how to write are the Write Great Fiction series:

Description & Setting by Ron Rozelle
Characters, Emotion, & Viewpoint by Nancy Kress
Plot & Structure by James Scott Bell
Dialogue by Gloria Kempton

These are my only books on writing (except for a bunch of Writer's Digests I have), so I don't have anything to compare them to.

Description & Setting helped me out since that was my weakest point. I had bought it to help me write room descriptions for an interactive fiction game, but once I started writing stories, I got the rest of them.

For a beginner writer, I think they cover a lot of good material, but I'm not sure how good they'd be for someone who's been writing for a while.

For grammar, I learned what I know from college English classes and having to write quite a bit for my job. I still have my Prentice Hall Handbook for Writers and reference it when I run across something that's unfamiliar. There is no better teacher for grammar than to have someone who's an "expert" rip your work up and make you redo it.

Edited to add: I also have The First Five Pages. My wife got it for me for Christmas. I've read only about the first five pages of it so far.

[This message has been edited by KPKilburn (edited December 31, 2007).]

Posts: 172 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marzo
Member # 5495

- posted      Profile for Marzo   Email Marzo         Edit/Delete Post 
Hands down, The Art of Fiction by John Gardner.
Posts: 201 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Of the dozens of writing books I've read, I've found one by Dean Koontz, How to Write Best-Selling Fiction, the most satisfactory. Which is odd, because I'm no big fan of Koontz or his writing.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

I'm much the same way about King. I'm no great fan but do like his On Writing. I have a couple of other writing books, but I tend to skim them. Mostly they don't add a lot.
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
First understand that most writing books are more appropriate for somewhat experienced writers than they are for the new writer, even though they are marketed to new writers.

Since I don't know your experience nor your publishing history, you'll have to make the call on what is appropriate.

Stephen King's book I found interesting for the details of his accident, though some of his writing advice runs contrary to much of what I've read and heard elsewhere.

Of the two writing books OSC wrote, his "Characters and Viewpoints" is by far the better of the two.

Other writing books: The entire Writers Digest Elements of Fiction WRiting series (of which Characters and Viewpoints is a part) is good. You need to decide where your weaknesses lie and pick the appropriate book.

David Gerrold's "Worlds of Wonder" is a good book for a more advanced writer specifically for the chapters on poetic verse and on e-prime. I have it on good authority that these two chapters are the reason he bothered to write a writing book at all.

If you can scare up a copy of Damon Knight's writing book (the title of which escapes me at the moment, as does my copy) is excellent.

There are several others that I've read (and I think listed on Hatrack some years ago) that are also good, but these come to the top of my list.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Some that I haven't seen mentioned yet but I have enjoyed/found useful:

Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott - similar in style/feel to King, much more about "the writer's life" than any specific how-tos, but gives you a great feel for writing, and her anecdotes (specifically the bird by bird story) are wonderfully sticky - they stay with you when you're writing and help conjure up examples, unlike what I have found with many other writing books where it all makes perfect sense in the text, and then you sit down to write your own work and it exits your brain...

Scene and Structure by Bickham - broken record alert - I've talked about this writing book before. It lays out a very specific and quite rigid structure for writing that some will find off-putting. Some have referred to his book/suggestions as being too clinical, looking at writing as less an art and more a science. I say your mileage may vary, but there's a ton of useful information to get from this book if you can get past the dry stuff. Hands down this is the book that has improved my writing the most (Not that that's saying anything, but I've read much of what's been listed so far.)

Story by McKee - This is a screenwriting book, but it's about storytelling. It's excellent, and along with Bird by Bird is the book most often recommended to me by published authors. I'm still only midway through it (took a long reading break there for nano and holiday craziness) but so far it's been really insightful. He also does a lot of analyzing of stories, dividing them into categories and types, but I find that kind of thing useful.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

My level of writing really doesn't matter, Spaceman. I didn't for recommendations for myself. I thought it would be interesting to discuss which ones different people think are best or have been influenced by.

Exist or not exist,
That I must decide...

Yep, gotta love e-prime.

Edit: As for King's book, the accident is only discussed briefly in the postscript. 90% of his book is devoted to how he developed as a writer and on writing. Many people disagree with what he says which seems to bothers him not at all.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited January 04, 2008).]

Igwiz
Member # 6867

- posted      Profile for Igwiz   Email Igwiz         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with KayTi's recommendation of Scene and Structure as one of the best books out there for a newer writer who is just starting to really focus on the mechanics of writing. However, the challenge is that, in some cases, it is taken too literally, and so isn't approached in the correct manner.

Some do consider it too dry (there are several scathing reviews of it on Amazon), but oddly enough, most of them complain about the fact that he doesn't focus on characterization. Hmmm. Not sure that's the point of the book.

Anyway, I thought it helped my writing quite a bit, because it made me look at and remember to use the structure of the story to create the necessary catalysts of characterization. Characters react to changes around them, so the scene and sequel concept helps a writer understand the importance of creating a plot and outline/structure that's robust enough to fully tap the depths of a character.

I'm not saying that it's a formula to write to, (which is how the nasty reviewers seem to take it), but rather a way to remind yourself that you have to provide the opportunity for a character to be involved in both action (scene), and retrospective assessment of that action (sequel) in order to best demonstrate the depth of the character.

At least, that's how I took it. Who knows if that's what Bickham intended!!

I also like Turco's The Book of Dialogue: How to Write Effective Conversation in Fiction, Screenplays, Drama, and Poetry.

[This message has been edited by Igwiz (edited January 04, 2008).]

Posts: 269 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

I recently started King's book. I admit I had some trouble getting into it--he seems a bit self-indulgent to me--but I'm enjoying it over all. I think if I were a King fan I'd find it fascinating.

What about his writing advice do people disagree with? I'm less than halfway through that section, but so far it seems pretty much in line with what I've read elsewhere. I suppose his ideas on plot are a bit different--I think he's the only writer I've read who believes plot should only be used with great caution.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verloren
Member # 3916

- posted      Profile for Verloren   Email Verloren         Edit/Delete Post 
Just for the record on this topic, OSC told us at bootcamp (I'm paraphrasing here) that it is obvious, based on King's On Writing, that King has no idea what makes his writing good.
Posts: 99 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

People tend to hate that he is an organic writer--very much against plotting. He is one of the top proponants of that. As for what Card said, I have no idea. It does sound like something Card would say though.

I agree with most of what King said and I am NO King fan. In fact, I don't like most of his work. But his book on writing is rapidly become a classic in the field.

I was mostly interested in his comments about his growth as an author. Of course, he also deals with his problems with addiction. Personally, I found Card's On Writing Science Fiction and Fantasy so overly basic I haven't read the other one.

annepin
Member # 5952

quote:
Just for the record on this topic, OSC told us at bootcamp (I'm paraphrasing here) that it is obvious, based on King's On Writing, that King has no idea what makes his writing good.

This is a pretty sweeping statement. I realize it's hearsay and maybe it's not worth going into, but what did he give you as evidence for this?

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
JaenneT, Card's book Characters & Viewpoint is also a classic. It is much more in-depth than How to write Science Fiction and Fantasy, but focuses on what the title promises.

On Writing, which I enjoyed immensly--and is the only writing book that I've read in a day--is not a "How to" book. It, also like it's title promises, is a memoir of writing by an Icon. I think an yone that simply dismisses it, hasn't truly read it. While I respect OSC for his dedication to the craft--and helping others advance in it--I also think he stopped after the Second Foreward of On writing and formulated his opinion.

It says:

quote:
This is a short book because most books about writing are filled with bullsh**. Fiction writers, present company included, don't understand very much about what they do--nopt why it works when it's good, not why it doesn't when it's bad. I figured the shorter the book, the less the bullsh**.

One notable exception to the bullsh** rule is The Elements of Style by William Strunk Jr. and E. B. White. There is little or no detectable bullsh** in that book. (Of course it's short; at eighty-five pages it's much shorter than this one.) I'll tell you right now that every aspiring writer should read The Elements of Style. Rule 17 in the chapter titled Principles of Composition is "Omit needless words." I will try to do that here.

I think the first two sentences were the basis for OSC's comments. If not, then I can't image what prompted them.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited January 04, 2008).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Well, I will freely admit that I still have things to learn from a master teacher (which in spite of not being a Card fan even I will admit he is) about Character & Viewpoint, IB. So next time I go book shopping I'll pick it up. I try to have an open mind on these things.

King does cover some how-to's in the second half of the book with some interesting advise. He touches on dialogue tags, the "no adverb rule", the use and abuse of figurative language which he illustrates with some of his own passages. But what seemed more important to me was his discussion, which the entire book was, of the experience of being a writer and how to survive it.

Not only did I read it in a day, as you did, it is the only book on writing that I have read more than once.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm somewhat disenchanted with King as a writer (and also the person reflected in the writing)---both On Writing and his occasional column in Entertainment Weekly display an unflattering arrogance I find uncomfortable to read, something maybe minimally present in earlier non-fiction works like Danse Macabre. Was it always there? I'm not sure, but I can see it now...

I recall a lengthy story from On Writing, on an actual fellow high school student and model for Carrie, who was meanly and cruelly treated by her high school peers, despite serious attempts by her to change her image. I don't have the story before me, but I can't recall any mention of how King himself related to this person. (Been awhile since I reread it...I may have forgotten some details.) I've gotta wonder---was he good to her or mean to her? And just thinking about it makes me wonder what kind of person King actually is...

[edited 'cause I left a couple things out.]

[This message has been edited by Robert Nowall (edited January 05, 2008).]

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

quote:
I've gotta wonder---was he good to her or mean to her? And just thinking about it makes me wonder what kind of person King actually is...

Yeah, i read this part recently. He admits he wasn't kind to her, either, though he doesn't go into how cruel, or not cruel, he was. It's a pretty heart breaking story.

However, he was a high-schooler. Not to excuse him, but I hope no one will judge _me_ solely on what I did in high school!

JeanneT
Member # 5709

We all have our own reactions. I saw nothing arrogant in On Writing.

My reaction was quite the opposite to that story, Robert. He made it quite clear that he knew that what had happened in high school was wrong. The character of Carrie was based on two girls he knew in high school who had been outcasts. King didn't try to whitewash himself. Like King, I did a thing or two in high school and college I wouldn't care to be judged on now.

He's made his share of mistakes in his life including his serious fight with alcoholism and drug addiction. He made no excuses for his mistakes but also admits them and discusses his struggles against them. I respect that.

No, he doesn't pretty up the picture of himself.

quote:
In the spring and summer of 1986, I wrote The Tommyknockers, often working until midnight with my heart running at a hundred and thirty beats a minute and cotton swabs stuck up my nose to stem the coke-induced bleeding.

Maybe it's arrogance for him to say that he is what he is whether other people like it or not. Or maybe it's being honest. I was particularly struck by this passage from On Writing.

quote:
Reading at meals is considered rude in polite society, but if you expect to succeed as a writer, rudeness should be the second to last of your concerns. The least of all should be polite society and what it expects. If you intend to write as truthfully as you can, your days as a member of polite society are numbered, anyway.

Yes, the man is an Icon. More important, I felt that he told it like he saw it in the most honest way he could. I may even be forced to read some more of his fiction. I like honesty in a writer even (or maybe especially) when it makes other people mad. King may not be a nice guy--for me that's ok, too. I don't demand nice in writers.

This passage might make people mad. Personally, I agreed with it.

quote:
You can approach the act of writing with nervousness, excitement, hopefulness, or even despair--the sense that you can never completely put on the page what's in your mind and heart. You can come to the act with your fists clenched and your eyes narrowed, ready to kick ass and take down names. You can come to it because you want a girl to marry you or because you want to change the world. Come to it any way but lightly. Let me say it again: you must not come lightly to the blank page.

This passage made me do some serious thinking about my own writing. Kicking ass and taking down names...

I won't quote any more. If you don't know these passages I suggest reading the book.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited January 05, 2008).]

dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
I have read the book a couple of times. I didn't come away with it having a tone of arrogance. Bluntness, yes--and maybe people see his willingness to be blunt as arrogant. I guess I'm used to it from having read most of his work.

I didn't find it a tremendous beginner's tutorial, but there were some nice takeaways. I did like that he included the first few pages of a draft manuscript with edits, which if I recall correctly, might have been an early version of "Room 1408".

His general message of writing with directness is good advice.

Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

JeanneT - try Bird by Bird. I have a feeling you'll like it. Then there's Writing Down the Bones, which I have tried to read before but found just a bit much for me.
Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I'm not inclined to think that King or any writer has licence to misbehave because of their talents or abilities...with great power comes great responsibility.

"Arrogance" in the sense that "I know best about everything, and anybody who disagrees is a [CENSORED]. And by 'everything' I mean things beyond the writing of horror." Not a direct quote, but that's the sense I take from his recent writing, particularly the abovementioned Entertainment Weekly columns.

JeanneT
Member # 5709

Where did King say being a writer gave him a license to misbehave? Have you read On Writing, Robert?

Perhaps you missed this:

quote:
Substance abusing writers are just substance abusers--common garden-variety drunks and druggies, in other words. Any claims that the drugs and alcohol are necessary to dull a finer sensibility are just the usual self-serving bullsh**. I've heard alcoholic snowplow drivers make the same claim.... We all look pretty much the same when we're puking in the gutter.

Now some might prefer to learn from people who will say they've never done anything wrong in their lives. Since I've made a mistake or two (or a few hundred maybe), I have no such preference. I prefer people who own up to their mistakes.

As for whether King has the right to speak about other genre than horror, I suspect he has as much right as Card does to speak about genre other than science fiction. If that's arrogance, I personally am fine with it.

Nor have I ever seen King say he knows it all. Quite the contrary he is the first to say:

quote:
Fiction writers, present company included, don't know much about what they do--not why it works when it's good--not why it doesn't work when it's bad.

I suspect the reason that annoyed Card was the implication that he is included in that as well. Dee is right that King is blunt (and that the book is not a tutorial). I happen to enjoy and appreciate his bluntness, but some might interpret it as arrogance. I interpret it as bluntness.

Successful writers who take the trouble to help writers who are still struggling get my respect. I know a couple of them.

Edit: Those sound interesting, KayTi. I'll take a look at them.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited January 06, 2008).]

lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
If anything, On Writing details how awful that period of his life really was and his struggle to identify with himself as a non-abusing writer.

On Writing is also a memoir. He spends a lot of time just talking about his life. Really, very little of it is actually "on writing", but in another sense it all is if you think of it as the writer's life, rather than the writing process. That was my take, anyway.

Anyway, I've heard great things about Bird by Bird, too. I'd like to try it out some time.

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marzo
Member # 5495

Has anyone read Steering The Craft by Le Guin? I've put it on hold at the library, but if a great furor denouncing it rises up, I might as well save myself the trip.
Posts: 201 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Ha! I'm pretty sure Le Guin is not as controversial as King. I've heard hers is a good primer. I can't say I've read it though.

But don't let controversy keep you from reading King's book. It isn't a primer but rather a discussion of "how one writer was formed." That's a good description, lehollis.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited January 06, 2008).]

Marzo
Member # 5495

quote:
But don't let controversy keep you from reading King's book.

Actually, I received it as a present some years ago, and read it then. It was all right, but I can't say I was inspired by it.

JeanneT
Member # 5709

Well, what is inspiring to one isn't necessarily to another. Let us know what you think of the Le Guin book.
annepin
Member # 5952

I read Le Guin's Steering the Craft, as I wrote in my post above (sorry, a bit of sass there). It's a good book, though I think most of us would find it a bit basic. Still, it's an interesting insight into Le Guin's thoughts on writing. It's a slim book, too, and probably won't take you but a few hours.
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Heh. Sorry, annepin, your comment about Le Guin's book got lost in the argument. We do so much enjoy arguing.

What do you think about Plot & Structure? I consider that one of my weaker areas, but so many books are really aimed at the beginning writer that I've come to the point of hesitating to bother picking one up.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited January 07, 2008).]

Marzo
Member # 5495

quote:
Well, what is inspiring to one isn't necessarily to another.

Definitely true. And one could even argue that the "job" of a book on writing is more to advise than inspire.

If Le Guin says anything particularly fantastic, I'll be sure to share it.

JeanneT
Member # 5709

One could say that and someone else could just as well argue with with that opinion. It is after all a matter of opinion and possibly what the reader needs at that point.

King's is the only book on writing that I would say I ever learned anything from so obviously I'm going to defend it. But what I learned wasn't what you were looking for.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited January 07, 2008).]

annepin
Member # 5952

JeanneT, since you and I are at different levels in our writing it's hard for me to gage what you might consider too basic.

James Scott Bell's Plot and Structure pretty much lays out the foundations step by step. He takes you through exercises that help you formulate a good working plot. It feels a bit like "measure, stir, bake, done!" in its practical, somewhat formulaic approach. To someone who already has a few books under her belt, this might be too little too late. I do think it offers valuable strategies and perspectives within for analyzing and crafting plots, however.

I find Alan Dibell's Plot to be more nuanced, perhaps more sophisticated and sensitive to the peculiarities of different stories. In that sense, his book is harder to apply, as it is more abstract and theoretical.

Nancy Kress's Beginnings, Middles, and Ends is also good, also more abstract than Bell's, and not so much about plot as structure, pacing, and flow.

Sometimes if I'm unsure about a book I'll check it out at the library. If I like it, then I'll buy it for my shelf. The value of a writing book is just so subjective, and one book that's perfect for one person is unenlightening for the next.

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited January 07, 2008).]

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Briefly on King before returning to topic...I suppose one can forgive the sinner who repents more readily than the sinner who doesn't...but one doesn't forget the sin, either. Nor do I see any reason why one should.

One book that heavily influenced me was by Barry B. Longyear. I'm drawing a blank on the title, regretfully. (I had it around a year or so ago, to mention it in another thread about books on writing, but it's somewhere under the clutter right now.) He had a lot of interesting exercises in how to handle situations in stories, and a lot of examples on how he handled this or that---I read through them, getting a feel for what I could actually do with a story---though I didn't do the exercises myself.

KayTi
Member # 5137

I went back to my notebooks to see what I liked about some of the books being discussed. I really liked Plot by Dibell.

This bit from Bird by Bird caught my fancy -

quote:
The good news is that some days it feels like you just have to keep getting out of you own way so that whatever it is that wants to be written can use you to do it.

and

quote:
It's not likey you don't have a choice, because you do - you can either type or kill yourself.

(she's a bit of a drama queen, but in a fun and often hilarious way.)

and

quote:
Write straight into the emotional center of things. Write toward vulnerability.

From the book Plot, I have a sketch of a chart that he uses -

Central Story Question:?
Goal Conflict

Protagonist ? ?

Antagonist ? ?

There's an arrow from the protag's goal to the antag's conflict. You should fill in the ?s with info from your story, or scene/chapter in cases of longer works. This may seem really basic to some, but visual cues like this help me organize my thinking and refine what's actually happening in my stories.

He also famously says that "Plot is a verb." Which I think is helpful to remember sometimes.

I have more notes but must jet off to carpool. I found a good chunk from Building Fiction by Jesse Lee Kercheval, which I also really liked.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

A thread over in "Hooks and Books" reminded me of another influential book on writing, influential on me at any rate. Robert Silverberg edited an anthology of some of the stories that influenced his own writing. It makes for (1) good reading material, since every story is a classic of the SF field, and (2) a good guide on the how-to of SF, because Silverberg dissects and explains each story and how it works its magic.

(It's been published, to my knowledge, under two different titles, and, curse my feeble brain, I can't remember either of them, either. My SF books, thanks to my Christmas cleaning, are mostly behind a big pile of boxes, inaccessible until I clean again, which I will do when I put my Christmas decorations away and can safely block off that particular closet.)

JeanneT
Member # 5709

I was complaining to someone that it isn't reasonable to expect a non-scientist to know about planetology, etc in world building.

He mentioned that years ago, Isaac Asimov wrote a series of books that discuss the basics of planetology as applied to science fiction and fantasy. He said that the books are written at a YA level and are really quite an easy read, are insightful, and can be read in a couple of hours.

Anyone acquainted with these and know the title? Finding a particular Asimov book considering his production isn't easy if you don't know the title.

supraturtle
Member # 1518

- posted      Profile for supraturtle   Email supraturtle         Edit/Delete Post 
I refer to Elements of Style like any old teacher would...

For inspiration I suggest Bradbury's extended essay "Zen in the Art of Writing."

Posts: 121 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

quote:
I was complaining to someone that it isn't reasonable to expect a non-scientist to know about planetology, etc in world building.

I don't mean to be critical, but I read this as it isn't reasonable for a non-scientist who is unwilling to do the research to know about planetology.

Edited to add below comments.

Clearly you are willing to do the research or you wouldn't be looking for Asimov's book. That wasn't intended to be a knock.

I'm not familiar with the Asimov book, but Writer's Digest produced a book called World-Building by Stephen L. Gillett which is accessible and surprisingly insightful.

[This message has been edited by Spaceman (edited January 10, 2008).]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Funny for a comment that wasn't intended to be a knock it sure as heck came across as one.

And would you tell me just how EASY it is to do research on how a planet the size of earth would be affected by having two moons? Oh, sure. I can run right out and look THAT up and if I don't I'm lazy.

mitchellworks
Member # 6779

- posted      Profile for mitchellworks   Email mitchellworks         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I just took two minutes and googled "planet affected by two moons" and found many promising bits of info, such as:

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/2003-05/1052265017.As.q.html
http://theboard.byu.edu/index.php?area=viewall&id=41887

even simple bits like the fact that there would be two tides.

Even if you didn't want to trust net information, it would give you someplace to formulate your more academic questions.

Research is invaluable and I think shortcuts show in a work of fiction. I like to tell myself this because I am a shortcutter by nature and don't want my fiction to suffer for it.

On the original topic, I enjoyed Christopher Vogler's The Writer's Journey, which is based on Joseph Campbell's work on myths. It's geared to screenwriters but I found it useful anyway. It reminds me to use more mythic elements to color my fiction, like the trickster or the threshold guardian -- ones I might not initially think to include.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
"even simple bits like the fact that there would be two tides."

It isn't nearly that easy.

We get two tides each day here on planet Earth, with just one moon. The number of tides depends also upon the shape of the coastline and the depth of the sea. http://www.pol.ac.uk/home/insight/tidefaq.html#7

If the two moons orbitted with one on a larger orbit, always behind the other, there'd still be just two tides because the two moons would pull together. Tides will depend upon the relative orbits and masses of the moons.

The second reference requires an understanding of Lagrangian points and says, "Note that the particulars of the above explanation were verified on Wikipedia" - as if that makes it correct!

I tried Googling it myself, as I'm sure JeanneT did, and got nowhere. JeanneT's right. Understanding speculative planetary stuff is difficult--can nobody help her with the Asimov references? I'd be interested in them myself.

"How a planet the size of earth would be affected by having two moons" ... It'd be a darn good place for moonshine, don't ya think?

Hopefully helpfully,
Pat

[This message has been edited by TaleSpinner (edited January 11, 2008).]

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Well, I think the YA book by Asimov was probably Planets for Man, published way back in 1964 by Random House and probably long out of print. The book itself is a popularized edition of another book called Habitable Planets for Man by Stephen H. Dole, which I've seen on various lists as a useful guide for planet building. I've never seen either...I dug the titles out of Asimov's memoirs.

Probably both are dated and obsolete...neither is specifically for SF worldbuilding, either, I gather...

Also, it's "I think..." 'cause Asimov was so prolific, and so given to recycling his non-fiction work, it's hard to pin him down on one title or another.

JeanneT
Member # 5709

As much as Spaceman's snarky reply annoyed me, I must admit that the book he referenced, World-Building, looks like it would be a good one for planet building. It doesn't cover world building, per se, so the title is a bit deceptive. But for the planetary part it looks like a good reference

No, internet searches won't turn up the kind of information you need for this subject. You need a good reference book. I use internet searches all the time but there are times when they are simply inadequate which is why reference books still exist. (The question on moons was just an example of the kind of thing you need to know NOT only for SF but also for well drawn fantasy worlds.)

Thanks for the Asimov reference, Robert. I had done some searches for those Asimov titles and as you say with the number of books he wrote and the way he recycled non-fiction, locating it just wasn't happening. Now, since they're out of print locating the books themselves might not be possible so I may just try the other one.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited January 11, 2008).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
In response to uncertainty about a couple of titles:

Damon Knight's writing book is CREATING SHORT FICTION, and Barry Longyear's writing book is SCIENCE FICTION WRITER'S WORKSHOP-I: An Introduction to Fiction Mechanics.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Yay! Welcome back, Kathleen.

Edit: One book that hasn't been mentioned is the wonderful Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss. I highly recommend it both for polishing up your grammar and for simply being funny. I must admit before reading this book I had never considered the difference in extra-marital sex and extra marital sex.

Spaceman
Member # 9240

Kathleen: Creating Short Fiction by Damon Knight is exactly the book I had in mind.

JeanneT: At a certain level it was intended to irritate you. Information is out there, and if you don't know where to look or don't know how to interpret it, just ask someone. That's called research. I spent a good 6 to 8 hours of my 24-hour story for bootcamp reading about submarines in the UVSC library because I needed the information to write the story. In critique, one person commented that I took her to that submarine. That's why it's worth doing the research.

You complained that it isn't reasonable for a non-scientist to understand planetology. Maybe so, but it is absolutely reasonable to expect a science fiction writer to understand some planetology. If you intend to write a science fiction story, you owe it to your readers to do the necessary homework in order to make the story believable.

Science fiction fans (and editors, for that matter) are not stupid and they will call you on your mistakes. If you make too many, you will lose readers because you lose credibility.

Aside: Since you specified planetology and not world-building in general, I didn't mention any reference on generic world-building.

As it turns out, Cory Doctorow and Karl Schroeder discuss a planet with two moons in the Complete Idiot's Guide to Publishing Science Fiction. They use two overtly purple passages to demonstrate the difference between writing about a planet with two close moons from a position of ignorance and writing about the same place from an informed position. (I don't recommend the book, however, because I don't think it says anything new.)

On another topic, I think people here are underrating OSC's How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy. He has a lovely section on world building where he walks you through his thought process developing the world for Hart's Hope. He also has the discussion that new fantasy writers need to hear about setting rules in a fantasy universe.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.