Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Books about writing (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Books about writing
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I sell OSC's How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy short simply because I liked Characters and Viewpoint so much better. It does have some useful stuff in it, but that is always subjective (as has been mentioned a lot so far.)

[This message has been edited by lehollis (edited January 12, 2008).]

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston1022
Member # 7694

- posted      Profile for Preston1022   Email Preston1022         Edit/Delete Post 
I've found Elements of Style by EB white and strunk one of the best pieces of helpful literature.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I'm back.

I'd like to publicly thank my assistants for their help while I was gone. And I stand behind everything they did. Moderating this forum isn't easy, and they did the best they could.

Thank you, First and Second Assistant.

And thanks as well to those who helped them keep things running smoothly and supported them in their efforts.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, what can I say? I'm sorry to hear that the extremist attitude they took is one that you encourage. Perhaps I should have made my short absense a permanent one.
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
In addition to the above, I recommend WRITING IN GENERAL AND THE SHORT STORY IN PARTICULAR by Rust Hills for those who want to write short stories.

I also recommend Noah Lukeman's THE FIRST FIVE PAGES and Thomas McCormack's THE FICTION EDITOR because they tell you how editors look at manuscripts.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
just bought a new writing text -- The Anatomy of Story by John Truby.

Anyone else read it?

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marzo
Member # 5495

- posted      Profile for Marzo   Email Marzo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
just bought a new writing text -- The Anatomy of Story by John Truby.

Anyone else read it?

No, can't say I have. :/

I skimmed through the LeGuin book late last night. Some exercises seem thought-provoking, but Gardner's book is still holding strong the #1 spot. I also just bought a little ColesNotes style 'how to write a novel' guide for easy reference. Less of a craft-development book and more of a nuts and bolts thing in case I lose a piece of my brain and/or want to double check POV/structure conventions, etc.

Posts: 201 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.