Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Getting from brain to pen

Author Topic: Getting from brain to pen
Wordmerchant
Member # 7778

- posted      Profile for Wordmerchant   Email Wordmerchant         Edit/Delete Post 
So. I have what I think is a rather nice little horror tale that I am planning.

I have several pages of notes and questions for myself to ask along the way; I have several as yet unresolved issues that will need to be addressed during the course of this tale.

I have a fair grasp of who my protagonist and antagonist are, as far as their personality types and general demeanor and how these two players are connected.

I know what the final denouement scene MUST look like.

I know I am going to write this in multiple 3rd POV, and how I am going to break up what is very much a time limited plot.

I sit here, pen in hand, and stare at the skinny black lines on the white page and...nothing.

Ideas most welcome.

Posts: 47 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
Since you are having trouble just getting something on the page, write the denouement since you have some idea of what it must look like.

You will, of course, wind up rewriting it, but it will give you something solid on the page, and may even reveal where you need to start, and what needs to happen in between.

Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm assuming this is a novel?

For the first draft, I wouldn't worry too much about the opening. Think about how you simply need to get your characters to the denouement. What do they need to do? What do they need to learn to get there to make the choices you want them to make? How do they get to where they need to go?

Another question to ask: what are your characters doing the moment the change happens--the moment they receive their first call to action, if you will. Then start working out that scene.

I'm reminded of Stephen King's It. It begins with Georgie getting obliterated by the clown... which is the beginning of the story for Bill Dunborough.

If still _nothing_ comes, and this has happened to me, I just start working on a scene that I do know about. Usually I get ideas about how the characters got there, etc, etc, and then I can work backwards.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KStar
Member # 4968

- posted      Profile for KStar           Edit/Delete Post 
Start with the one scene you're sure of.
Posts: 141 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.