Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Maps - if you do, how do you?

Author Topic: Maps - if you do, how do you?
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if I already posted this question or if someone else did it but I will ask it just in case:

Maps. Real Earth or your own private fanstasy world. How do you draw a believable map? I'm sorry fans but Tolkien's Middle Earth map is c...p to me. I want realistic maps.

I've been reading George R.R.Martin's Song of Ice and Fire these past four months and I've been going through that map tens of times. At first I thought it was disappointing like Tolkien's, but then I got used to it.

The one I like best is from the book Dinotopia. That map was perfect. Flawless. That's the kind I want for my world. I have it on paper with a pencil but the style is gruesome. Especially the mountains. I don't have a clue how to draw believable 2.5D terrain.

[Edit: for those who don't know what 2.5D means... It's a two and a half dimensional map, meaning the third dimension is projected in colors or lines.]

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smncameron
Member # 7392

- posted      Profile for smncameron   Email smncameron         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you talking about the maps included in the book? Or maps for your own use. (planning etc.)

If it's the former, the publisher will probably take care of it for you. If it's the latter, does it matter if it's 2.5D?

Unless your question is just how do I make realistic geography? In which case my advice is, look at maps of the earth and then juggle the continents around. The world is incredibly diverse. We have chains of islands, and ithmuses, and continents, and tectonic plates. Short of not including enough water, making everything perfectly geometric, or just totally obliterating the scale, I'm not really sure how you can go too far wrong?

Although it's probably worth noting that there is a minimum size necessary for a stable climate and tectonic action. I guess having a world consisting entirely of one small island would be a mistake as well.

Posts: 161 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
well you would draw up the land masses. asine grids then add in countries, terain feters, locations, etc, then add in a legend with ex 2.54cm = 1000km.

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
Look for maps made in history. See how they are drawn, detailed, the style they used, how they were lettered. Also look at how they distort reality due to their lack of mapping.

There are early maps of North America, when they only had the shorlines mapped, that had the continent about a quarter the size it really was.

Before The vikings, seamen had to stick to the shores. The vikings would take a latitude of a location by reading the stars. Next time they wanted to go there, they would sail until they were in line of that point and sail straight.

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Tolkien map is intended to evoke a map that might have been used in that culture. Hence the simplistic representation of mts, etc. Same with GRRM's map.

Most "believable" maps, if we're talking Rand McNally style, are made with advanced map making software or, at the very least, Adobe Photoshop or CS. And takes a load of time (take it from me--I dated a map maker for a brief time). If this is the Dinotopia map you're referring to, then that, too, was likely done with Adobe or the like. Drawing by hand... wow. Can't even fathom.

I found a cute, basic, but still useful tutorial on Zombie Nirvana Games, run by a hard core gamer. I've had some luck with these vids (poke around the site a bit, you'll find them) and have managed to make a halfway decent map for my story. They are stylized, but then, I like that, since I, too, want to evoke something of a map that might have been drawn and used in the culture I've created.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I like maps. They really help you find your way around, in real life and in fantastic literature.

Well, Tolkien has had several different maps, by diverse hands (or is it "divers hands"?) He drew some, his son drew some, some amateur and professional cartographers have drawn some...and a lot have been published over the years.

On making a map for your own work...(1) Do make one and stick with it, at least for awhile, 'cause you and your readers will find it easier to find their way around. (2) When you reach a point where the story requires a change in the geography, change it. And (3) Assume your world is flat, even if it isn't.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doctor
Member # 7736

- posted      Profile for Doctor   Email Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason I'm always instantly irritates when I open a fantasy book and find a xerox of some crappy hand-drawn map. I don't know why. I really don't have a good reason. I guess it just makes me feel like the world is more fake than real, it makes it harder to get into if I take the map seriously. When it was probably doodled into exist with a crayon.
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
This brings about a question I hadn't considered in this post: what do you want to map for?

I usually play around with maps when forming my story ideas or when I'm world building. These I'll do by hand. Then I'll play around with Adobe Photoshop for a cooler looking version (just 'cause it's fun).

I've also heard great things about Autorealm, a freeware fantasy mapping program. I've poked around it a little bit but haven't had the patience to really work with it. I have seen some amazing maps come out of it, though. And it has nifty features--once you set the scale you can measure distance in travel time (i.e. how long it might take by horseback, on foot, etc.). Don't know if it compensates for terrain, however.

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited April 23, 2008).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
I was working on something recently that I wanted a map for, and lucked out by finding an old survey map of the area in question, dating from 1880. But I figured if I ever got serious about it, I'd draw it out as best I could, and ask IAB to turn it into something good looking. We have some really talented people here. And all they can say is yes or no, right?
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LCastle
Member # 7363

- posted      Profile for LCastle   Email LCastle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Most "believable" maps, if we're talking Rand McNally style, are made with advanced map making software or, at the very least, Adobe Photoshop or CS. And takes a load of time (take it from me--I dated a map maker for a brief time). If this is the Dinotopia map you're referring to, then that, too, was likely done with Adobe or the like.

I would amend that to say that all Rand-style maps (as well as most of everything else) are made with computers. And Anne is right - it takes a boatload of time, even using computers.

And yes, that Dinotopia map was done on a computer.

One thing to think about when making your own is the logic of the landforms. Look at transition areas. Do you have a rainforest smack next to a desert? Tundra next to coastal lowland? I'm not saying you can't do that, but you'd better be able to offer a non-geographic reason. Also think about climate, and how it interrelates with the landforms. Mountains get rain on the leading side of wind, none on the lee. How does this affect the locals, or your travelers?

Cartography is the art and the science of making maps. You can be a fine artist yet put out a crappy map because you don't know the science behind it. Or you can be like me, who can crank out a decent-looking, technically correct map, but not be able to create a "beautiful" map. (I have no artistic or design skills whatsoever, ). And unfortunately, with the prevalence of computer-aided (or computer-generated) mapmaking, the art part is slowly being marginalized.

So I always appreciate the effort made to include a map in books where it's a help (unless it's totally crap, then it just makes me cringe). I especially appreciate the ones where the author (and/or others) has taken the time to do it right.

And if you want an example of a classic hand-drawn, landform-accurate (down to tiny detail) map, check out Erwin Raisz. Freaking gorgeous. http://www.raiszmaps.com/samplen.html

Posts: 100 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

I believe I've already put a lot of effort into my maps and will put even more of it in the future. I strive to make realistic maps, since my setting is not a fantasy but a real-life world, although made up. I draw with a pencil which means no color and therefore I did not put on much rivers because that would cover the map into nothing but meandering lines. I will do one area at a time now and hopefully put them all together some day.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jo1day
Member # 7800

- posted      Profile for Jo1day   Email Jo1day         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, actually, you can have rain forests right smack next to a desert. It happens all the time in Africa.

It sounds like everyone has put in their two cents, so if you've already closed the topic, go ahead and discount what I say, but as a person with a geography degree under her belt (clears throat, readies rant)

1)Land masses all develop because of plate tectonics. Either the plates smash together, or they pull apart.

2)There are two kinds of plate material: Oceanic, which is more dense and sinks low, or continental, which is lighter and can rise higher. Not all "continental" Matter is above the ocean: there's quite a continental shelf off the east coast, which makes for those lovely beaches.

3)Where oceanic plates crash together, you get arc-like islands. Young arcs have small islands. The Aleutians off of alaska are a prime example. Older island arcs have more build up of land. Japan is a great example of this kind of land form. New land built up this way is rugged and volcanic. Older island arcs will have some flatter land.

4)Where oceanic plates hit continental plates, the oceanic plates slip under the continental plates, creating a thin ridge of mountains. South America's Andes is a great example of this phenomena.

5)Where continental plates crash against continental plates, you get very high mountains, lots of earthquakes, but relatively little volcanic activity. The Himalayas are the best example of this kind of plate action.

6) Where oceanic plates pull apart, you sometimes get (usually) small islands. These are volcanic too, but are not necessarily in an arc shape. An example of this type of island . . . Well, I know Iceland is one of them, but the islands aren't usually that big.

7) Where continental plates pull apart, you get a series of ridge valleys, and perhaps lakes, depending upon the location. Eastern Africa and the Holy Land show signs of this splitting. Madagascar may have been formed by this action (I was going to say for sure, but Google earth didn't show the typical boxy ridge system associated with this kind of pulling)
-----

8)Water erodes land. Rivers go through everything. Even desert areas will usually have dry riverbeds which carry the water away in the rainy season. River systems usually look like trees--one main "trunk" with lots of tributaries as branches. Look at the Mississippi river as a prime example. If areas are too dry to have rivers all the time, you may find rivers that don't seem to have very many tributaries. The Nile and the Colorado (I think) are examples of these.

9)Glaciers shape land. The fantastic mountain peaks of Norway and Sweden were carved by glaciers, not formed by volcanic activity. Rivers will always form V-shaped valleys, glaciers form U-shaped valleys, which may flood as glacial ice melts to form Fjords, lochs, that kind of thing. Glaciated coastlines have lots of islands and wide river outlets forming natural bays. The coast of the North-east United states is an example. Also. Glaciers also leave behind kind of cigar-shaped hill mounds of debris piled up on relatively flat land.

10) Outliers. Almost any mountain range will have foot hills, and they can also have little groups of mountains that are outside of the main group. Don't make the mountain ranges too perfect

11)Stretching and rising: The western part of the united states was once covered by a lot of water, called lake Bonneville. That big body of water sunk quite a bit of land. It's gone now, and the land has come up and expanded, forming the basin and range system of mountains that are found in nevada and the western part of Utah.

12) Hotspots. There are magma plumes that come up through the earth's crust in various spots. When they come up under oceanic plates, you get chains of mountains that aren't necessarily arc-like such as Hawaii. When they come up under land, you get Buttes, gysers, lava flows and tubes that are entirely like usual continental volcanic activity. For examples of these, see Yellowstone Natl. Park and also look at south-east Idaho.

I think that's it for land forms. Except that continents tend to be built along the lines of triangles. If you want to know anything specific, let me know . . . I can probably look it up.

I actually find badly drawn maps rather charming. As if they're coming from a society that doesn't have all of our science. The first maps of Florida were quite horrible. But still charming.

Posts: 80 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful information, Jo1day. Thank you!
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

Well, I could scan my paper map and put it on Photobucket for people to look and discuss...
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
does anybody know where I could download an outline map of scotland? I looked for hours yesterday, and couldn't find anything that was free and in a program my programs could read. Aaarrrggg!
Or, should I say, Aaaarrrgggyyylll!

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.abcteach.com/maps/scotland/htm

Found it through Google.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jo1day
Member # 7800

- posted      Profile for Jo1day   Email Jo1day         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm . . . thanks to everyone who said thanks, but I look over the topic again, and it's about creating realistic maps in 2.5 dimensions. Those contour maps are usually done by drawing a line around an area of elevation that is the same. The closer the lines are together, the steeper the slope. Since you're coming up with a made up world, you can decide yourself where the lands are. Usually such maps, however, would probably be of areas that are smaller than, say, you're average continent. As with all maps, you have to pick and choose what you're going to show. Oh, and all flat maps are going to introduce some distortion, because of the curve of the surface of the earth. (This usually only gets to be trouble when you're working on country/continent level. For example, if you look at a mercator projection of the world, Greenland isn't really that big. The shape is correct, the size is wrong. Mercator is your usual standard flat map. If you look at a different kind of projection (such as those curved ones) the size will be correct, but the shape will be distorted. It's just one of the challenges of trying to put the surface of the globe on a flat surface.

For doing your maps, I would recommend a vector program. If you can get an old version of Macromedia Freehand (the program has been discontinued, now, because Adobe bought macromedia) that should be cheaper. I suppose that Adobe Illustrator would work too. The thing about Vector programs is once you put down a line, you can keep adjusting the line as much as you want without really erasing it. Macromedia Freehand is what I used in my one (much loved) class on thematic mapmaking. Unfortunately, I don't know any of the mathematical stuff that people use for making maps. Sorry.

Posts: 80 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

I downloaded a shareware version of something called Fractal Maps. It used fractals to do the continents. It looked OK, but the problem came as soon as you zoomed in. Everything was in jagged lines. And drawing with it prooved too difficult for someone of my drawing skills.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.