Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Help on a reading list...

Author Topic: Help on a reading list...
TheOnceandFutureMe
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyone, I could use a little help.

I'm putting in an application at school to do an Independent Study. In this I will be writing a novel. As part of my proposal, I have to submit a reading list - what I will read to assist with my writing. Aside from how-to books, I need a few novels similar to my novel.

Here's my novel idea: The world is inhabited by half-animals, half-people, divided into three countries. The main character is half-butterfly, and lives in the Winged country. The novel will follow him as he falls in love, becomes involved in political movements, and works against a political conspiracy, all the while transitioning from boy to man (butterfly, man, whatever).

So. Any ideas on novels similar to this? Anything about animal-people? Any fantasy novels that focus on politics? Even any fantasy novels that simply do a great job of instilling a clear vision of their unique world in the reader's mind?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
The Island of Dr. Moreau H. G. Wells
Animal Farm George Orwell
Kiss of Shadows Laurel K. Hamilton

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd find books about butterflies, metamorphosis and how they find mates. I'd read books by pilots and hang-gliderists to learn what it's like to fly. I'd read about parachuting--or maybe do it ... well, maybe not--to imagine what it's like to be blown around by the wind, not fully in control. I'd learn about colours and camoflage, how to avoid getting eaten by predators.

For fantasy worlds and politics, there's LOTR of course, and "Dune" did a great job of establishing its world and its politics. Orwell's "1984" showed politics, as well as Animal Farm, IIRC.

HP caricatured a peculiarly English flavour of politics, and "Gulliver's Travels" was a classic of political satire.

"Fahrenheit 451", Ray Bradbury. Much of Heinlein's SF had libertarian politics somewhere.

But to really learn about fantasy and politics, anything by Bush or Blair ;-)

Cheers,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I think C. S. Lewis's Out of the Silent Planet dealt with three different intelligent species on Mars...my memories of it are somewhat fuzz, it being at least thirty years since I last read it...of course, it's science fiction only by courtesy, being a late entry in English "literary" fiction like H. G. Wells or Olaf Stapledon...

But it was a pretty good read, as I recall (I liked it better than the other two "SF" books Lewis wrote.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
Metamorphosis by Kafka. Will this be dark, or rather light?
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
You might look into stuff by Thomas Burnett Swann who wrote books based on Greek mythology with centaurs (half man-half horse) and satyrs (half man-half goat) and minotaurs (half man-half bull) and so on.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Tracy and Laura Hickman's "Bronze Canticles" series includes political junk surrounding flying people.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody has mentioned yet Speaker for the Dead, which is an OSC book, excellent one, that deals mostly with humans interacting with an alien society (two, come to think of it) that they think the understand, but they really don't. Both other alien societies are characterized in animalish terms. There's some good stuff there, even though the stories aren't told from the animal/alien POVs.

Good luck!

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mommiller
Member # 3285

- posted      Profile for mommiller   Email mommiller         Edit/Delete Post 
CJ Cherryth's Foriegner series is an excellent depiction of a totally alien species, not only in physical appearance, but in thought processess as well, and their interaction with a small group of human colonists.

Brent Cameron, the MC is a translator sent to live with the Atevi. An excellent read.

Posts: 306 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordmerchant
Member # 7778

- posted      Profile for Wordmerchant   Email Wordmerchant         Edit/Delete Post 
If you can find a copy somewhere - Midnight at the Well of Souls by Jack Chalker.
Posts: 47 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oblomova
Member # 7846

- posted      Profile for Oblomova           Edit/Delete Post 
How about Watership Down? If you haven't already read it, there's a balance between the rabbits' politics and their physical and social characteristics.
Posts: 44 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, if I could die and be reborn, I'd leave instructions to be named Hazel-Rah Merryfield.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheOnceandFutureMe
unregistered

Thanks for the input, everyone. I've looked into every suggestion and chosen a few.
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe Elantris by Brandon Sanderson. It addresses three MCs from three different cultures, who are very political because of their roles in society (prince/princess/high priest), and because of who they are (the outcast prince takes a leadership role in his new micro-culture). The politics are closely entwined with religion and with the special characteristics of two of the MCs. And its a darn good read!
Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slocum
Member # 7925

- posted      Profile for slocum   Email slocum         Edit/Delete Post 
Two series come to mind.

The Uplift series by David Brin. In this, dolphins and chimps have been 'uplifted' to full human-level sentience, with genetic engineering and assistive technology (for dolpins -- to give them 'hands'). They characters still exhibit animal behaviors, but act like humans. Startide Rising has the first all-Dophin crewed starship. The Uplift War focuses on Chimps. Very good for the animal mindset.

The other series are the Anita Blake books by Laurell K Hamilton. Her lycanthropes exhibit a lot of animal characteristics of their disease. So werewolves act in some ways like wolves, including organizing into packs. Were-hyenas act and organize like hyenas, etc. Also, the politics between the groups is very good, but it's much more micro-politics of small groups, not nations.

Posts: 25 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oridalon
Member # 7938

- posted      Profile for Oridalon   Email Oridalon         Edit/Delete Post 
I might suggest Through Wolf's Eyes and... I can't remember the second book's Title, by Jane Lindskold.

A rough summary would be that beyond the mountains, where humans have never settled are Great Animals (I can't remember the name Lindskold give them)they are generally, large, stronger and more intelligent than their cousins in the human lands. The even have language. A failed settling attempt ends in death for all the villagers save a baby girl who ends up being raised by wolves. Eventually, she heads back across the mountains.

The first couple books address the integration of an essentially wild animal into a completely different society (in this case, human). But it gives a fair estimation of how a wolf thinks, and in later books the thoughts of other animals, but the other books drift from the quality of the first 2.

It might be beneficial for you to look at how an animal or even half-animal might think. That is going to be key I think to making your story strong, making the MC feel real.

[This message has been edited by Oridalon (edited April 26, 2008).]

Posts: 13 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I checked Amazon and the title of Lindskold's second book is WOLF'S HEAD, WOLF'S HEART.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheOnceandFutureMe
unregistered

Thanks for the help everyone. I just got the email saying my independent study has been approved by the English department gods.
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo-Hoo! Congrats!
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
CJ Cherryh's "Chanur" series. Cat people, rat people, monkey people, bird people, bug people and humans.
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheOnceandFutureMe
unregistered

Any goat people?
seacat
Member # 7957

- posted      Profile for seacat   Email seacat         Edit/Delete Post 
Would the greek god Pan or anything about satyrs work? They are half goat and half man, aren't they? You could delve into Greek mythology or any take-off therein that has them in it.

Congratulations on your independent study getting approved.

Posts: 52 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheOnceandFutureMe
unregistered

Pan and the like might help. I've found several resources just to get an idea of how different authors have gone about describing inhuman characters, and a few that deal with political mayhem in a fantasy (or sci-fi) setting.

Debhoag - I realized I never answered your question. I'm aiming for it to be somewhere between light and dark, I guess. Not Disc-world light, but nowhere akin to horror.

goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, no. No goat people. Perhaps I should email Cherryh and suggest it would vastly improve future books to include some goatlings.
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.