Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Blah, blah, blah.

Author Topic: Blah, blah, blah.
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been writing a lot of short fiction lately, but I have a question.
What is an publishable length for a short story? When does it go from flash fiction to short story to novella to novel, and all things in between?
Please, Oh wise Muses of Literature, have mercy, and tell little old me.

~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Flash (< 1K)
Short Story (1-7.5K)
Novelette (7.5-15K)
Novella (15-40K)

According to Duotrope.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulUK
Member # 7906

- posted      Profile for PaulUK   Email PaulUK         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Sheena,

I was just about to reply, but I refer you to my learned colleague above (thanks Bent Tree!)

Cheers,

Paul

Posts: 55 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Generally, Flash is sub-1K. Some markets will accept flash in excess of that, but 1K is the typical limit.

A short story doesn't become a novella until somewhere beyond 10K. In the 15-20K region I think. Novels begin at about 50K (for a short novel).

I swear we just had this conversation in a recent thread. Anyways, them's the numbers as I understand them. There might be some slight differences in the amounts, or terminology (short-short vs. flash, novella vs. novellette) but a lot of that is kind of an academic exercise. The important numbers you need to look at are the limits for the publications you want to get into. Mags will have a defined word limit (sub-1K, 1K-5K, not exceeding 10K) that will be far more useful to you than the textbook definition of the lengths of a given piece of writing.

Duotrope is pretty good about finding out that kind of info.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
You people are awesome.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Aren't they, though?

Gotta love 'em.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smncameron
Member # 7392

- posted      Profile for smncameron   Email smncameron         Edit/Delete Post 
On a related note:
If the publisher is asking for short stories, is there any danger in dipping to close to the 1k border?

Posts: 161 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheyne
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Cheyne   Email Cheyne         Edit/Delete Post 
What are the markets for Flash fiction? I hear about contests etc., but is there a serious, steady market for the form?
Posts: 340 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smncameron
Member # 7392

- posted      Profile for smncameron   Email smncameron         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.FlashFictionOnline.com pays professional rates for flash-fiction, as an added bonus it's run by a hatracker,
Posts: 161 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If the publisher is asking for short stories, is there any danger in dipping to close to the 1k border?

No. The "short story" category includes flash. All that matters is that it work as a short story.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Cheyne, also take a look at Every Day Fiction. They're a market I tried (unsuccessfully) to break into. They pay zilch (well, $1) but they do publish a fair bit of stuff - a story, every day.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Postcards from the... publishes flash fiction exclusively (preferably under 600 words), too.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited April 29, 2008).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
All that matters is that it work as a short story.

I second this. If you are thinkng about writing flash-length, don't dismiss those pesky details like plot and character just because it's a short piece.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get back here often enough since I started the zine, but I saw people coming to Flash Fiction Online from this thread and had to see what was going on. Thanks for the link. I'd just correct "run by a hatracker" to "run by a bunch of Hatrackers." I couldn't do it without eight people who post here regularly. (Soon I'll have a staff page up to prove it. )

Another market to consider for flash (ostensibly a competitor of ours, but publishing flash is hardly a zero-sum game) is 365Tomorrows. If you write literary stuff, consider Vestal Review or Smokelong Quarterly. I believe we're still the only pro-rate flash-only market, and I think we're the only one contending for SFWA pro status (hopefully to be achieved by Dec 2008, then retroactive to our first issue), but these other venues publish some good fiction.

Regards,
Oliver

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheyne
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Cheyne   Email Cheyne         Edit/Delete Post 
smnc, WB, Iab, et al,
Thanks, I'll try my luck!

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
The shortest short story I ever recall seeing was in a Larry Niven collection. (If it saw magazine publication, the book credits didn't say.) It ran like this:

quote:
There are certain things mankind was not meant to know.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
My stories all tend to be either flash fiction or Novellette/Novella. I seem to hop over the short story completely.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
Wired Magazine published a bunch of six-word stories a while back.

I hesitate to call them "stories", myself.

[This message has been edited by oliverhouse (edited April 30, 2008).]

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
gotta love Margaret Atwood, though!
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.