Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Photon Sail name?

Author Topic: Photon Sail name?
EP Kaplan
Member # 5688

- posted      Profile for EP Kaplan   Email EP Kaplan         Edit/Delete Post 
My current story features a photon sail that is used for time dilating voyages. I wanted a name evocative of the light-based aspect of travel, and the first thing that popped into my head was the LAMP Drive, which stands for LAser to Motion Photon Drive. What do you guys/gals think?
Posts: 180 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
sounds good to me.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
Another tactic is to give it a brand name, or the name of the inventor.

It could be the kaplan drive, or the Bill Gates Drive,

or it could be the Gladwrap Clinglight drive or Alcoa Aluminum company's starcatcher sail systems.
Of course, one has to make sure a real company is shown in a good light and there might be permission issues involved.
For some fun, one might have a name for each sail type, as they did in the old sailing ships.

One could also have fun by taking companies that would never have anything to do with such a systme and figure out how changes in their business plans, caused by their expansions into other fields, could get them there, such as the BurgerKing light sail company.

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
LAMP drive is nice, but if the photons come from the nearest sun, there isn't a laser, is there?

Unhelpfully,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
So it's actually a solar converter?

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited April 30, 2008).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AstroStewart
Member # 2597

- posted      Profile for AstroStewart   Email AstroStewart         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking as a scientist, the inclusion of both "light" and "photon" in an acronym is redundant. Light is made up of photons. Also, assuming your drive is getting light from stars, it would not be laser light (incidentally, laser is already an acronym: Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission Radiation).

If you're using a solar sail to somehow achieve relativistic speeds (moving fast enough for time dilation to have a noticeable effect) I would suggest something along the lines of:

Light Absorption for Relativistic Motion -- LARM

or if you really want to keep "LAMP" as the acronym, I'd suggest something like "Light Absorption for Momentum Projection" of course "projection" would have to have a somewhat tweaked/new usage with your new fancy near-light speed drive for that to work.

If you really like including "photon" it would make the most sense to replace "light" with it. ie. Photon Absorption for Relativistic Motion -- PARM, or ... Relativistic Travel -- PART.

Just trying to add a helping hand. If this is a near-light travel device with an acronym based on the science behind it, and it's essentially some kind of solar drive, using the energy of light from stars to propel it, I would definitely suggest having "relativistic" in there, and some kind of... "light absorption" or "photon absorption" or maybe "light conversion" ie. converting the energy of a photon into kinetic energy (movement)

At the same time, scientists sure do like playing around with words until the acronym is pretty, funny, and/or memorable.

case in point: the proposed Cherenkov radiation detector upgrade in Japan to replace the current one (called Super Kamiokande) is in all seriousness named GADZOOKS! (Gadolinium Antineutrino Detector Zealously Outperforming Old Kamikande, Super!) =P

(edited for typos)

[This message has been edited by AstroStewart (edited April 30, 2008).]

Posts: 280 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who read the previous post and immediately thought "phart?"
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EP Kaplan
Member # 5688

Thanks, all. I would prefer to use a laser, primarily b/c the biggest issue with current photon sail tech is what one does as the ship gets far from any sun. Also the issue of steering.

I read PARM drive and got hungry for eggplant.

Light Absorption Module (or Momentum) Propulsion?

[This message has been edited by EP Kaplan (edited May 01, 2008).]

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
This last one sounds good to me, Kaplan.

What is the radar called in Battlestar Galactica? Draides or something?

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EP Kaplan
Member # 5688

DRADIS

Direction, RAnge, DIStance.

MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought range and distance is the same thing.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Excuse my lack of physics knowledge, but wouldn't putting a laser on board a ship to shoot at a sail mounted in front of the ship be the same thing as mounting a huge fan on a sailing ship and pointing it at the sails? Basically, that there is zero net propulsion, since the reverse momentum expended to put out the wind/light would be equal to the force captured by the sails? Even though we're only talking about photons here, there should be a negative force implied with putting out the numbers required to achieve any kind of relavistic speed.

Plus, aren't we talking about some kind of ridiculously large laser here? Solar-sail propulsion is slow enough as it is, even with the sun itself providing locomotion. The sheer mass of the laser required to create any kind of significant photon flow would be several orders of magnitude larger than anything we currently have.

*Whew! Too much science!*

Also, once you reach any significant speed and pass beyond the edges of the solar system, you would basically keep going at that same speed - or even increase speed even more slowly due to residual but faint photon reaching your ship from our own sun - until you begin to approach another star and encounter resistance from the photons being emit by it. There shouldn't be any significant barriers to movement in deep space, and you should be able to retain enough inertia that you don't become hopelessly stranded in the wild expanses between stars.

And, finally.... sailors seem to have managed to steer ships in the sea for a few years now without a huge fan onboard to steer the ship. A simple thruster in the role of a rudder, when used in consort with a change in sail geometry and position, would be enough to effect a change in direction. Once you're in deep space, though, you're kind of stuck with the inertia you've got. trying to change it too much would likely require significant amounts of thrust requiring large onboard fuel reserves, or you might risk losing some of the momentum you currently hanve and could end up extending the length of your journey significantly (and when we're talking interstellar distances, a 1% decrease in speed could add up to a considerably longer transit time).

Everyone still with me? Sorry for the digression - it's your technology, so it does what you say it will.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
Wolfe_boy,

What you say is true, but, there is something to add.
There is photons coming from all over, from the earliest universe to nearby stars. If the light sale was transparent in the direction the ship was moving, then all the thrust from billions of suns would be thrusting the ship along. One simply would have to change sale orientation to change direction.

Remember, the only reason the sky is black, rather than starlight white, is that the universe is expanding. The light of billions of stars that would light the sky like our sun, are cooled by expansion of the universe, sending the energy to heat, rather than light.
That energy is still there, so one just has to have a way to have more force on the backs of the sails than on the front. The use of diffraction and coatings could cause light from the front to avoid the fabrics of the sails and avoid thrust from the light. while in the back, the diffractions and coatings direct the light to the fabric of the sails and cause the push. The difference in light pressure will add up over time. A pound of thrust will eventually add up to near light speed.

I read that if we kept up the thrust of the Apollo launch vehicles, we would achieve light speed in a year.

Light sails are like balloons. You get it big enough compared to your cargo mass. it will get you moving.

You can ignore this or use it if you want, but there is a theory that the space between the stars are as filled with debris as the the area outside the orbit of Pluto. There are a lot of objects out there and this theory says that deep space is just as junky. consider a fast moving ship through that stuff, especially something with as poor control as a fast moving light sail might have....

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EP Kaplan
Member # 5688

As far as I know, the difference between the fan and the laser is that the fan is essentially propelling air in two different directions, while the laser is propelling photons in one direction. The classic issue of space flotsam, one I've thought about for a while, that I'll solve with the old SF standby, electromagnetic shields or some such device. It sounds better than a RAM drive type deal, or some super-metal coating.

Yes, adjustments to the sail would do the job, and would probably aid in retrothrusting, since you could reverse the "polarity", so to speak, as you neared your destination. I'm looking at putting a dedicated fusion reactor on the ship (if the can put a fusion reactor in a ship to power the sucker, they can build a BIG laser and a high efficiency photon sail, just give them a couple thousand years to sort out the details. I'm intrigued by two way mirror style coatings to catch repelled photons before they ever bounce off the sail).

Oh, and the DRADIS. The range is used for x and y, and distance for z, thus enabling 3D radar. The enemy's gate is down.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.