Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » What's a "beat"?

Author Topic: What's a "beat"?
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I ought to know. I imagine it's something to do with the rhythm of the piece. I try to look intelligent when people mention it. Which is daft really, because I mainly discuss writing at Hatrack and in e-mails.

Thanks,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd guess it probably depends on the circumstances, and who you ask.

It sounds like one of those things that you know what a person means when they say it, but it doesnt have a definitive codified meaning.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert McGee in Story states:
"A beat is an exchange of behavior in action/ reaction. Beat by beat these changing behaviors shape the turning of a scene."

He goes on to explain it is the smallest element of structure.

James Scott Bell in Plot and Structure uses the term in a way that supports that meaning.

What I gather is that beat is both an action and the precipitated reaction, and the action triggered by that, and so on. You can look at them as units of change. First Anne is sleepy. Her husband sees it and makes her coffee. Anne forgets to thank him and instead says, "Oh, it's about time!". Her husband gets hurt and makes some huffy comment... and so on.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Bits of action throughout a scene. A character walking, taking a drink, running his hands through his hair. This version of a beat is used a lot to break up dialogue, and improve flow.

I am sure there are other types of beats though.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Got it.

Thanks,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
"A beat?" Goatboy leaned forward and pulled his eyeglasses down so he could peer over the rims. "A beat is the the action I just used to break up this dialogue. You can use the regular dialogue tags, or you can insert a bit of action. A beat has the general effect of slowing the dialogue."
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant, Goatboy, very clever explanation.
Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
That's because Goatboy is a superhero. I've seen his shiny cape.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theworldinthewords
Member # 5483

- posted      Profile for theworldinthewords   Email theworldinthewords         Edit/Delete Post 
A "beat" in screenwriting lingo can mean a pause, but it is also a "moment" in a scene. You use beats to spice up your scenes. In a comedy, for instance, individual jokes you use in scenes, individual funny moments, actions, quips, etc. are all beats.
Posts: 31 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
A beat is also a nice way to insert dialogue tags without using "he said, she said" and as a way to indicate who is speaking. In Goatboy's example, it's clear Goatboy is the speaker, because he despectacles himself (or is it makes a spectacle of himself? With Goatboy you never really know...)

"However, tread with caution when using beats, as a previous poster pointed out, they can slow things up even though they are inserting action, and it can get tiresome to read." She got down from her soapbox at long last. "He said/she said are pretty invisible to readers and can be simpler." She felt for her spectacles and then remembered she doesn't wear glasses. "You see how annoying that gets?" She peered at the computer screen, willing it to carry her expression forward.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaldea
Member # 4707

- posted      Profile for Chaldea   Email Chaldea         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about anyone else, but sometimes I see where the author writes it: "She waited a long beat, looked from one to another and finally spoke."
Posts: 75 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

"More on beats?" TaleSpinner leaned forward and squinted at several posts. "Beats are action and reaction. The smallest element of structure." He made a cup of tea, to give himself time to absorb it all, to think.

"Beats break up dialogue, improve flow." Sipping tea thoughtfully, he didn't notice the adverb. "They're moments in scenes, spice--and overdone, they're annoying." I like spice, but don't want to be annoying, he thought.

"So beats," he summarised to himself, "are the things that move the story along, the little twists and turns, actions and reactions, that influence the characters. They can be used to tag dialogue--but beware overuse." He looked back over this paragraph and wondered briefly whether "he said" might have been better than "he summarised to himself." Since he wasn't saying, but thinking, he left it as it was.

Feeling he'd learned something--changed--from the exchange of posts, he typed, "Thanks everyone. Does this mean I'm qualified now to join the beat generation?"

Cheers,
Pat

Chaldea
Member # 4707

- posted      Profile for Chaldea   Email Chaldea         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you'll need one of those hip tams and a cool goatee. And if those are lacking you still get points, man, for some really beat prose.
Posts: 75 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
I have some bongo drums.
Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, indeed! Everybody needs more goatys. Especially cool ones.

[This message has been edited by goatboy (edited May 12, 2008).]

Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.