Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » English lacks the power

Author Topic: English lacks the power
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
I have discovered English's two great weaknesses. We have no neutral singular pronoun ("it" doesn't count), this I've realized for a long time.

But the other is ... I want to exclaim something AND make it a question at the same time, how do I do it? I can punctuate it as an exclamation, though it feels wrong since a question mark ought to be present when a question is asked. I could mark it with a question mark and let the exclamation be taken from the context, but then the tone isn't read how I'd like it to be read. I could put in both marks, though that feels redundat...

This is stupid. We need a new punctuation mark. The Exclaquestion Point.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
You want to WHAT?
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Put a question mark at the end of your "explanation."

I do it all the time. Isn't an explanation that is presented in question form basically a question, after all?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

It's not an explanation from "to explain" it's an exclamation, from "to exclaim." An example of an exclamation is "Holy Crap!"
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Oops!?!?!?!?

Okay, in that case, I usually put a bunch of both. But that's in informal writing.

In a story, exclamation points are frowned on unless they are absolutely necessary. (Gratuituous exclamation points are more of a no-no than some other kinds of gratuitous things, sad to say.)

Most of the time, you have to indicate the exclamatory nature of the statement (or exclamation) through context. So I still say put a question mark at the end if it's a question.

If you really have to, you can do something similar to what mikemunsil did in his response, though you should use italics (or underline in manuscript) for emphasis, and not caps.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Really? Exclamation marks aren't acceptable in manuscripts? I wonder why that is, it's an excellent tool.
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
I dont think they are totally unacceptable, I just think they have a (characteristically) narrowminded conception of when they are aceptable.

An exclamatory sentence should properly end with an exclamation point. So basically they are saying you should only rarely use exclamatory sentences.

All very dumb, if you ask me.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we ought to get back to the real issue here, which is creating a new punctuation mark. Let's get Inarticulate Babbler in on this one!?

What I see is that they both already have a period underneath a vertical symbol. So we keep the period, and change the vertical line. Instead of a backwards "c" with a tail, how about a hammer?

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RobertB
Member # 6722

- posted      Profile for RobertB   Email RobertB         Edit/Delete Post 
I sometimes use 'they' as a neutral singular pronoun. I never use exclamation marks except in speech, it just doesn't seem comfortable somehow.
Posts: 185 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
well i speek american, not english, but i think we should have a lannguage that everyone should learn and speek as a universal earth languege

LATTEN

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Kathleen, and everyone in the know,

Robert made a good point. I realize that 99% of my exclamations exist as part of dialog. Does the "rule" apply strictly to exposition, or are they not acceptbale in dialog as well?

deb,

That is a good idea. We definitely need to keep the period on the bottom, but what about a lightbulb?

debhoag
Member # 5493

or a lightening bolt? Although, a light bulb would be a closing of the Qmark, and then you could call it a questiamation bulb.

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited May 19, 2008).]

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

A lightning bolt!!! I love it! Or maybe a lightning bulb?
Heresy
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Heresy   Email Heresy         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, someone did invent exactly such a punctuation mark, combining both the question mark and exclamation point. It was called an Interrobang (and yes, I did scare myself by knowing about this thing). It just never really caught on, I guess

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interrobang

Heresy

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet! It even looks like a lightbulb.
Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Oh, well it never caught on because the name isn't very good.

We should call it the Super Mark, I think that would be better.

KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Zero, no disrespect intended ( ) but the Interrobang is a waaaaay better word than "Exclaquestion Point."

LOL

I think to address one of your questions, you should use caution when using exclamation marks in dialogue. Just be sure you're not overusing them, unless you're writing for a teen girl/YA audience who already exclaims about every other sentence.

(I kid, I joke, and I write for that subgenre, so don't go hassling me about my gross generalization of teen girl exclamative behavior.)

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JustInProse
Member # 7872

- posted      Profile for JustInProse   Email JustInProse         Edit/Delete Post 
You got to be kidding me‽

This mark is awesome. I'm certain my writing has now changed forever. I wonder if anyone ever uses it in formal writing? What would an editor do? lol

Do you have to underline the question mark instead of putting the interrobang so that they know what you mean? (seeing as they can't catch on to italics)

[This message has been edited by JustInProse (edited May 19, 2008).]

Posts: 189 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

KayTi you make a good point. Which is why I've converted to the Super Mark which trumps all.

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited May 19, 2008).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

KayTi's explanation (not exclamation) fits my understanding.

The problem with things like exclamation points or even interrobangs, is that the more they are used, the less impact they have.

Sort of like putting salt on your food. Without salt, food can be pretty bland, but only a little is really necessary. (When I make something that calls for salt, I usually use half of what is called for, and that works fine.) Too much not only overwhelms the taste of the food, but it can be bad for your health (and in this analogy, health could refer to reader interest).

I would say, unless you're writing in first person, NEVER use exclamation points in narration. And no matter what person you're writing in, only use them for dialog when people would really be yelling or screaming.

You know, as in the times when you tell your kids not to interrupt you while you're writing unless someone is spurting blood or the house is on fire?

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

As for the singular neutral pronoun, back in GEnie days (Oh, no! She's going to reminisce again!), Damon Knight suggested "yeye" which served that purpose in some other language. It worked fairly well.

Some people like to use "s/he", but that only works for subjects of sentences. For objects, you have to do something like "hirm" and for possessive you have to do something like "hir" or "hirs" and that gets in the "looks like a typo" area.

Again, it can be a narration versus dialog thing. People talking can say it anyway they like, as long as it's consistent with their personalities. Narrators can also have a particular style, but the rules tend to be a little more rigid for them.

What I try to do, and therefore would be inclined to recommend, is find a way to make such statements so that all of the pronouns are plural, and then I don't have to worry about it.

SchamMan89
Member # 5562

- posted      Profile for SchamMan89   Email SchamMan89         Edit/Delete Post 
My biggest problem with English (at the moment) is the word "love." In another language (I think its Italian--correct me if I'm wrong), the idea of love is split into three parts: romantic love, family/friend love, the love of doing something. I think this lack of separation in our language is one of the reasons we overuse the word "love" when we talk to each other. And things can get very confusing.

"I love you."

As a lover?

As a friend?

Do you just like being in my presence?

Currently, that's my biggest problem with the English language. Maybe its because I just finished up a semester of choir where we used other languages...

~Chris

Posts: 105 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
SchamMan, a lack of definition requires an increase in subtlety and a degree of context. It isn't a failing, necessarily, that a single word carries a multitude of definitions. It is a failing of a writer if a reader can't determine which of the meanings he is using--except in situations where a word-game is played with a single word carrying two different but compatible meanings.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
In Greek there are 4 different words for love.

A·ga´pe, carries the meaning of love guided, or governed, by principle

Phili’a, more nearly represents tender affection - warm friendship love based on mutual esteem.

e´ros, love between the sexes.

storge, is natural affection, a feeling usually based on blood relationship.

I'm not helping, huh?

Tracy

[This message has been edited by tnwilz (edited May 20, 2008).]

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mitchellworks
Member # 6779

- posted      Profile for mitchellworks   Email mitchellworks         Edit/Delete Post 
Neutral singular pronoun: One

As in, "One is happy to be of service."

(who can attribute that quote?)

Posts: 86 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

I don't think "One" is exactly right for what I'm going for. I see your point, and it's both valid and interesting. But something feels a touch off to me.

What I want is:

If a doctor needs to go to the bathroom, ___ must wash his hands.

My instinct is to put "he" in the blank, but what if the doctor might be female? I don't like just using "she" and more than I like just using "he," and "it" certainly will not work. If I doctor is an it, I don't want it operating on me.

So I'll try "one."

If a doctor needs to go to the bathroom, one must wash his hands.

I don't like it. It might work, technically, but I think it sounds silly. Something about the word "one" is that it doesn't seem tied to the third-person, which is really what I'm going for. (3rd person singular neutral animate)

Because I can use "one" to represent first person singular ("One is happy to be of service,) AND I can use it to represent 2nd person even though it's a stretch ("If you go down there, one should bring a flashlight.")

So... it's more of a universal person singular pronoun. What I want is something strictly 3rd.

debhoag
Member # 5493

one must wash one' hands.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

If doctors need to go to the bathroom, they must wash their hands. (ambiguity alert: before or after?)

Speaking of ambiguity, and tnwilz's list of four Greek words for love, if you look at it in Greek, you will see that when Jesus asked Peter if Peter loved Jesus those three times, he used different words:

The first two times, Jesus said "agape" and Peter said "philia." The last time, Jesus said "philia" and Peter said "philia." Makes a difference in how that scene reads when you know more about what words are being used.

Zero
Member # 3619

Really? Dammit! Why can't there just be a universal language that is perfectly efficient? And we all speak it?

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited May 20, 2008).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

But you see, that's why writing is an art.
tnwilz
Member # 4080

Zero you must be refering to "Starcommon"

Oops... did I just break a rule again.

Tracy

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

tnwilz, did you or anyone else post part of a story written in a copyrighted universe?

Not that I can see.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Let's get Inarticulate Babbler in on this one!?

Uh... Maybe the period under the question mark could be an asterix (it would seem fitting for the pronounciation of The Exclaquestion Point--which reads to me like it begins with a laxitive.

On a more serious note:

quote:

I want to exclaim something AND make it a question at the same time, how do I do it?

Add characterization to the dialogue:

He leaned forward, his nose nearly touching his captive, and yelled, "Do I make myself clear?"

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited May 20, 2008).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! Classic!

Add characterization to the dialogue.

Absolutely the correct answer! Context!

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
(Before and after, I would hope.)

How's this for ambiguity? Lifted from a sitcom. "I've got the wrench, you've got the hammer. When I nod my head, you hit it."

I remember the idea of making a neutral pronoun out of a combination of letters from "she," "he," and "it," to make something that matched up with a very familiar word...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

Greek would sure make dating less complicated.

"John, you know how much I agape you...sometimes it's like Storge even..."

"oh crap, this isnt good."

EP Kaplan
Member # 5688

- posted      Profile for EP Kaplan   Email EP Kaplan         Edit/Delete Post 
Universal, super efficient language?
Lojban anyone? No?

Q: How many Lojbanists does it take to change a broken light bulb?

A: Two. One to decide what to change it into, and one to figure out what kind of bulb emits broken light.

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
The definitions of "light" in my old dictionary occupy about one and a half tiny-type columns and four separate entries. The etymologies indicate another long-standing feature of the English language---identical-sounding words coming from different sources.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

quote:
He leaned forward, his nose nearly touching his captive, and yelled, "Do I make myself clear?"

That's good. I think it's interesting how you use the tag in front of the line, so the reader knows before he reads the line that it is yelled, instead of "Please pass me some tea," John yelled. Which might force someone to re-read the line.

Placing the tag (before or after, or not at all) seems to be a more sophisticated, and useful, technique than I'd ever given it credit.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
It's one possible tool (the easiest example) in the demonstration of characterization and context.

This all goes back to the late, great Arthur C. Clarke's advice: Our job is not to write so that the reader understands, but to write so that the reader can't possibly misunderstand.

That's quite possibly the best advice I have ever heard on writing. (Thanks to Spaceman--I believe--for presenting that tidbit.) Think it through. decide what you want to show, then write.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Another brilliant quote, but easier said than done.
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Ha ha, Zero. If writing was easy...
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
Or we could just all speak Latin and run around in togas, drinking wine and having a grand feast in celebration on the rebirth of the Latin Language as a universal Language
RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.