Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Off Topic Birth Announcement

Author Topic: Off Topic Birth Announcement
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I know it doesn't have anything to do with writing, but I wanted to let everyone know that I had a healthy baby girl on Saturday. Her name is Celeste and she weighed 5 lb 14 oz.

I'll be busy over the next few weeks but I am still working on "The Artist's Way" and trying to give my creativity a boost. I still plan to start working on it here on Hatrack starting June 1st!

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! Glad it went well. Celeste is a beautiful name.
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!!
Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamieFord
Member # 3112

- posted      Profile for JamieFord   Email JamieFord         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!
Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Three cheers for the new mom... and little Celeste!
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!! Enjoy this time with your wonderful baby girl, how exciting.

In my one of my other lives I have some breastfeeding expertise, if you find yourself in need of any just holler. Best wishes to you and your new and expanded family! (agree, Celeste is a beautiful name!)

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah! I just realized where all of your creative energy has been going, Christine. Growing a baby is a lot of work, and it can take a few months to get your strength back. (I took a whole year off with my last kid, counting about seven months before she was born plus five after.)

Congratulations. Enjoy, enjoy.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brainie
Member # 7810

- posted      Profile for brainie           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!!!
Posts: 25 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations...maybe you should have put this announcement in the Hatrack Writers in Print section...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brainie
Member # 7810

- posted      Profile for brainie           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, but Robert, those of us who are Future Hatrack Writer in Print would have missed it.

Posts: 25 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you ever reserve names (hold them back from your characters) to save them for your own children? Or do you not mind your characters and children sharing the same names? (This is for everyone)
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
How wonderful and exciting!
Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Thanks everyone!

Zero: I have actually held back on giving a character a name if I think it's something I might use for a child. I also skipped a couple of potential names for my kids because I'd used them in stories. I'm perfectly willing to name characters after extended family or friends, but for some reason I just want to keep it separate from my own immediate family.

Kathleen: You may very well be right. I had similar struggles when I was pregnant with and after giving birth to my son. It's strange that pregnancy somehow seems to sap mental as well as physical resources. I have decided to push off my last revision of my novel for a few months but in the meantime, I'm hoping self-help exercises and no pressure (no deadlines or required writing times) will help me come through stronger on the other side.

KayTi: Thanks for the offer but nursing is going super duper well this time around. I struggled with my son at first but thanks to help (mostly from other on-line mommies like you), managed to get through it and go for 17 months. Between then and now I made myself a lay expert to prepare myself but it turned out this baby is one of those born to nurse types. She opened wide the first time, has a champion suck, and brought my milk in in 2 days instead of 6. (I heard it came sooner for 2nd babies but that surprised me.)

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited May 22, 2008).]

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Christine. My girls are 18 months apart. Having two is more than twice as hard as having one--but is also more than twice as fun. Good luck, and God bless your new addition.
Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!!!
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!!

Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
Christine, I'm a guy and have no children (most likely never will have). But as a child who was breastfed a long, long time, I want to thank you on behalf of your children for going the natural way. I think it was very positive for me physically. I virtually never get sick, and never had more than a cold in my life (save that time we had been to Disneyland...) I think all the breastfeeding is largely responsible for that.

My brother and I were homebirths, breastfed, slept in a family bed for quite some time, and were homeschooled, and I'm grateful each day to my parents for the physical and mental health and security those things have given me, including into adulthood.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats again, Christine. I'm so glad things are going well for you. Yeah, isn't it a trip to have that much a difference in milk coming in between firsts and seconds (or subsequents?) It is one of many reasons we end up hearing from scared first-time parents whose doctors are really worried about low weight gain in those first 4-5 days. Often mommy's milk hasn't come in yet! It's a challenge balancing that with doctor's real concern for baby's health. We try to help people understand what the normal course of breastfeeding looks like, and go from there. Anyway - I'm thrilled things are going well.

Zero - I didn't start writing until after my kids were born, but I did grab up the nickname we intended to use for my daughter as my MC's name in the novel I did for Nanowrimo last year. I was excited to use it, since we didn't end up using it for her - don't know why, but she just wasn't an "Anya." I also used the "just in case she comes out with boy parts" name (you know, the one you keep even though the ultrasound tech was 99% sure and so were you and your husband because after all, you were there...)

But yeah, I can't imagine doing any characters with my children's names. Maybe middle names, someday, but not first names. That would be a little weird.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
i wish you and your kid many happu hours of late night feadings,
diper changing, and lack of sleep. you will never regret having a child after they move out. so said my mother LOL

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Christine. Sounds like you HAVE been creative, just not in a written-word sort of way. Enjoy these days to their fullest; you'll never get them back again. Don't worry about writing right now... think of this period of time as "research" for future stories.

Gaagh... I've been part of this forum long enough to be able to recall BOTH of your completed pregnancies? It sure doesn't seem like it's been that long!

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Merlion-Emrys: Do you remember nursing? That's neat. I asked my son if he remembered nursing and he surprised me by saying yes. I weaned him a year ago April. Maybe he was just saying that but it would be neat if he did, even for a little while. (I'm sure he won't remember when he's older.)
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

Well (I'm sure this will freak many out) I don't know when I started eating solid food primarily, but I was nursing occasionally (mostly to calm me if I hurt myself or some such) up until my brother was born when I was 4 and a half. So yea, I definitely remember. I dont really remember the period when nursing was my primary food source though.
Jo1day
Member # 7800

- posted      Profile for Jo1day   Email Jo1day         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations
Posts: 80 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
illiterate
Member # 7997

- posted      Profile for illiterate   Email illiterate         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Christine, what is her Hatrack username?

Posts: 52 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
Well done Christine and baby.

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toby Western
Member # 7841

- posted      Profile for Toby Western   Email Toby Western         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!

Celeste is a heavenly name.

Posts: 171 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I'll add my congratulations.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mitchellworks
Member # 6779

- posted      Profile for mitchellworks   Email mitchellworks         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! Frankly I'm amazed that anyone can write with babies/toddlers around. I'm still trying to finish the idea hatched when pregnant with my second -- and my third is now three years old! But then, my husband worked a lot, so I was basically a mom sun-up to sun-down, seven days a week. Oh, and I homeschool half-time. So maybe it's understandable, but still frustrating.

I recently read a bit from Madeline L'Engle where she said she wrote the first draft of _A Wrinkle in Time_ when her kids were little, and that she did it in two weeks! Don't ask me how, it's a magic I do not possess.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Two weeks? No way! Although I must say that this one is contentedly sleeping in a sling while I type this so maybe I'll have more time with this baby. My son was picky. He had to sleep in my arms -- not in a crib or bassinet or on the floor or in a swing -- and if I stood up and moved he woke up and wanted to eat again. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much, but maybe this baby will be a little easier.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.