Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Fahrenheit 451...the movie

Author Topic: Fahrenheit 451...the movie
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
According to an interview attached to the newest paperback incarnation, Ray Bradbury says that Mel Gibson has signed on to produce a more accurate film version. (The 1966 version didn't have the dog, Clarisse, or Professor Faber--which are supposed to be included in the new version.) Apparently, Tom Hanks would like to play Guy Montag. Thoughts?

Also, in this interview Ray Bradbury says the book isn't about censorship. (Actually he has said it a few times.)

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the little I saw of the older version wasn't very good---too mid-sixties French arty, I thought. Who was it who directed it, Truffaut? He did better...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
Love Ray Bradbury, love Oscar Werner, love '66 film, love Mel Gibson, love Tom Hanks, love cheesecake! I would give it two big thumbs up!
Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not entirely sure about the Tom Hanks part, sounds interesting though.

Not to derail or anything but on the subject of Bradbury...has anyone here seen an episode of some show, probably Politically Incorrect, that had Bradbury on the panel, and he made some sort of remarks about sexism and sexual harrasment being ok or something?

My mother claims to have seen it, but its hard for me to believe.

Its also hard for me to believe Farenheit 451 isn't about censorship (along with lots of other things)

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
Oo, I love the book. I'd see it. Of course, I've been very often embittered by movie versions of books I love.

Tom Hanks seems a bit too old to play Montag. I hope they don't try another DaVinci Code-esque hairstyle in an attempt to make him look younger.

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
What wrenbird said. Tom Hanks is way to old to play the lead. Don't remember what age Bradbury established Montag as, but thought it was early thirties. (Which is coincidentally about how old I was when I last read it---and that was the short version.)
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I read in the newspaper several years ago that they planned on making "Stranger In A Strange Land" into a movie, and Tom Hanks was cast as Michael Valentine. He's way too old for that part, now, too.

Oddly enough, I've not read Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451. My daughter was going to loan it to me after she completed it for a required English Lit class in college, but it never happened. I don't have a preconception about the characters or their ages, so I suppose seeing Hanks in any of the roles wouldn't be a problem for me. He's a great actor.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Fahrenheit 451 isn't about censorship, it's about a guy named Guy who learns to read. Sure there is censorship in it, there is also a wonderful mechanical dog. That book will always have a special place for me because it taught me to enjoy reading.

I saw pieces of the old movie, too much nazi like dudes running around.

I think Tom hanks could pull it off, but I agree that it should be someone younger. If only because there should be some chemistry between Guy and the teen age Clarisse. (not in a creepy way.) He'd be a shoe-in for Beatty though. I'd love to hear the "why the world is screwed up" talk in Hanks's voice.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.