Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Making an observation

Author Topic: Making an observation
stammsp
Member # 8000

- posted      Profile for stammsp   Email stammsp         Edit/Delete Post 
I would just like to offer my 2 cents.

The 13 lines, both short story and novel, are a great place to hear the opinions of others on individual work. We can use the advise to help improve the writing, give us food for thought or ignore it completely.

I am tired of seeing rebuttals to the critiques. You don't need to explain why you wrote something a certain way--it's your work. Take the advise for what it is: an honest desire to help.

Reading through and critiquing them takes time. Time the writer could be using on his own interests.

I'd just like to see everyone play nice.

Gina

Posts: 74 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
A trend I have also noticed.

Some get confused with questions that arise. In many instances they are good. It shows what the prose is inducing.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheyne
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Cheyne   Email Cheyne         Edit/Delete Post 
I would gladly leave the opinions of others unrebutted, but I find there to be almost no feedback on this site. My first crack at 13 for novels received 1 comment in eleven days. My latest short story 13 got my hopes up with 3 comments and 2 offers to read in the first 12 hours and then nothing since.

I can't be rebutting my critics I don't want to scare them away.

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
It can be very difficult to get help with a full novel. It's a long, intensive process for both reader and writer. I was lucky enough to find two people through hatrack with whom I formed a novel critique group. We have done two novels together -- each time with a fourth person who disappeared before the process ended. I have now decided to stick with the two of them. We don't even do formal groups anymore -- I'll read a full novel for either one of them any time. It takes a lot of time and work to build a rapport like that with a writing buddy but I totally recommend seeking out people who are willing to go through a novel crit process with you and to keep seeking them out until you find a couple that you can count on.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! This has been an ongoing issue, and will probably never go away entirely. However, I agree.

Past threads here and here.

Cheyne, don't be shy about bumping up your entries. Sometimes, for whatever reason, posts get overlooked.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyraxis
Member # 7990

- posted      Profile for Pyraxis   Email Pyraxis         Edit/Delete Post 
If it weren't for the electronic rights issue, I would love to see a forum on here where novels could be posted a chapter at a time. If the first 13 lines of a novel don't get any offers from readers, there isn't really space here for a second chance, even if your writing improves. I understand that's how it works with editors, but I'm here to refine the craft. I already know I'm not ready for publication quite yet.

To me it's invaluable to be able to get feedback on chapters as I write them--and much less intimidating to commit to critiquing someone else's novel a chapter at a time than all at once.

What about a group where we could post brief summaries or introductions to chapters as we write them, and others could could offer critiques one piece at a time? There seem to be a lot of private email circles going on behind the scenes, but that system makes it hard for newbies to integrate themselves and participate.

[This message has been edited by Pyraxis (edited June 16, 2008).]

Posts: 188 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
There are forums out there where you can post novels a chapter at a time. I'm not sure how useful they are. I tried to get involved in a yahoo group like that and my observation was that very often, writers stopped after a few chapters.

I've also found that submitting chapters from an unfinished novel one at a time is usually a recipe for me to quit. If I'm stuck, there are a couple of people I trust to take a look at what I've done and try to help me muddle through, but typically I Only like to get involved in novel critiques of finished novels. Otherwise, either I stop or they do, and either way it is VERY difficult to get the end of a novel looked at.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
The only time I had people I didn't know critique a novel--and I must say they did a fairly good job I thought--was on Critters Workshop. As you may or may not know you can request critters to do an entire novel and as they get a large amount of credit (you earn getting critiques by getting credit for doing them) people do tend to do them fairly regularly. I still do some critiques over there although fewer than I used to as I tend to depend on a few writer friends who I trade critiques with.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited June 16, 2008).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If the first 13 lines of a novel don't get any offers from readers, there isn't really space here for a second chance, even if your writing improves.

Actually, you can post the first 13 lines from more than one chapter of a novel here. (Edited to clarify: you can post the first 13 lines from the beginnings of more than one chapter, though you should probably do it one chapter at a time.)

quote:
What about a group where we could post brief summaries or introductions to chapters as we write them, and others could could offer critiques one piece at a time?

You can also post summaries (in the Fragments and Feedback for Novels area) and get feedback on them, and the 13-line rule doesn't apply to summaries, so you can post not-so-brief ones as well as brief summaries.

"Fragments" don't just mean the first 13 lines; they can be plot-outlines, character sketches, bits of description--whatever you need feedback on FROM NOVELS (though we ask that you limit fragments of actual text to 13 lines).

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited June 16, 2008).]

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
annepin said:
quote:
Cheyne, don't be shy about bumping up your entries. Sometimes, for whatever reason, posts get overlooked.

Amen!

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

By the way, I've posted my "novel critique suggestions" in the Ways to Critique area (here) .
Pyraxis
Member # 7990

- posted      Profile for Pyraxis   Email Pyraxis         Edit/Delete Post 
Very helpful, Kathleen, thanks! I didn't realize it was okay to post from more than the first chapter.
Posts: 188 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Hmm. I just checked, and I don't think that's actually posted anywhere. Maybe I'll put it in the description for the Fragments and Feedback for Novels area.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.