Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Blog list (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Blog list
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Not a bad blog KayTi. Cute children.

But who was the author signing and the books your kids had?

There is a web site dedicated to mothers who write. I know one person who does a column for them.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

- posted      Profile for mrmeadors   Email mrmeadors         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a blog at www.melaniermeadors.blogspot.com (I don't know how to make that into a link ) it's not hugely exciting right now.... But you never know, something fun might happen! I update it about twice a week, maybe more if something interesting hits me.

M

[This message has been edited by mrmeadors (edited April 01, 2011).]

Posts: 223 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
I update my blog very infrequently, though I try and get at least one post up a month. It's been undergoing somewhat of an existential crisis while I figure out what I really want to put on it.

[This message has been edited by BenM (edited March 22, 2011).]

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
@LD - I'd love to hear the name of the site for mothers who write, sounds like a great idea. Thx for the positive comments on my writer's blog. I took the kids to a signing with one of my favorite YA fantasy authors - Shannon Hale - last spring. Kept them out late on a school night, the whole 9 yards, worth every second. They were so awesome, and we all enjoyed meeting her even though I got all tongue-tied and fangirly.

And a return thought for you on your blog font/color mix (I do software design) - be careful putting black on red or red on black. Human eyes aren't good at distinguishing those two, not enough tonal contrast. If you're looking for a color scheme, many of the blog sites templates come with one boiled-in, that is typically friendly to the eye. Blue backgrounds with lighter text (ala the old Word Perfect paradigm) are generally easy on the eyes if you're committed to a dark background. Red doesn't play nice online, I usually avoid it in sites and apps I'm doing.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

KayTi

Try this link.

http://mamazina.wordpress.com

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
For those with smart phones, the app, "Pulse" is absolutely fantastic. It is an rss (blog) reader that provides a great graphical and easy-to-navigate interface. I am addicted.

Also, I'll add my own shameless plug linking to my blog.

By the way, I notice that in other forums, people have their blogs in their signatures. That avoids the whole shameless self-promotion bit and rewards people for putting out thoughtful posts on the forum. Would we think that would be wise here? Or is it a bit too much. I'm curious what Kathleen thinks. (Note: I'm not selling anything, so it is an innocuous suggestion not made at all in self interest).

Edited to add: ok - maybe 2 years in the future it is in self-interest.

[This message has been edited by Wordcaster (edited March 25, 2011).]

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I changed colors again on my blog and added a feature or two.

Please tell me if it is better or is it just me

http://musingsofle.blogspot.com

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Signatures? Eh, I don't know. I think they can get annoying.

If you want to put something that looks like a signature at the end of each of your posts, I can't stop you, but right now the forum is set up so that we don't have signatures.

I may be willing to be convinced, however.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a thought... I'm not here to promote anything -- just here to learn, interact and help where my meager skills can.

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to register a vote against signatures. Putting our blogs at the bottom is a very worthy use of the feature, but I've seen them get out of hand I don't want tat to happen here.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
I am told my signature is darn near illegible, so I dont know what good it would do me.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coralm
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for coralm   Email coralm         Edit/Delete Post 
If you can restrict the sig to text and links only, no pictures or badges or whatever, I don't think it's a bad idea. It's a cool feature only because if someone says something interesting or funny in a thread that isn't this one, it's nice to be able to access their blog easily.

To stay on topic, my blog is: www.chaosandinsanity.com

Posts: 116 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aaron White
Member # 9473

- posted      Profile for Aaron White   Email Aaron White         Edit/Delete Post 
One blog I find inspiring is writer M. John Harrison's:

http://ambientehotel.wordpress.com/

Above and beyond my interest in his fiction, his cranky koans about genre fiction keep me honest.

Posts: 22 | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

For mg and ya writers (but really all in general), I like these blogs:

kidlit.com: covers writing tips and the market in general.
Editorial Anonymous: q&a format, kinda similar to Miss Snark (previously linked).

I'm looking for good podcasts to listen to. So far I've found writing excuses and adventures in scifi publishing. I've tried a couple others, but none have stuck for me.

aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Reminder: Clicking on the icon ^ that has a face beside a question mark will take you to the author's profile page, where you can see his or her Website address (assuming there is one).
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coralm
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for coralm   Email coralm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm looking for good podcasts to listen to. So far I've found writing excuses and adventures in scifi publishing. I've tried a couple others, but none have stuck for me.

I like the I Should be Writing podcast as well: http://isbw.murlafferty.com/

Thanks for the tip aspirit, I had no idea that was there.

Posts: 116 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the reminder about that aspirit...now let's see if I can add my blog to my profile page.
Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome, guys.

Unwritten, it works!

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tripper
Member # 9485

- posted      Profile for tripper   Email tripper         Edit/Delete Post 
New to the forums, and I just started my (very sporadically posted to) blog recently. Maybe this will give me the kick in the pants I need?

Can't remember how to make links, but here's the URL:

middleagednonsense.blogspot.com

Gonna check out some of yours now, thanks

[This message has been edited by tripper (edited April 11, 2011).]

[This message has been edited by tripper (edited April 11, 2011).]

Posts: 35 | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I changed providers and lost all of my old posts, so I've started a new blog at my old address:

http://www.owasm.com

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else experimented with creating a facebook author page?

I only just created mine - I think it's a great way of keeping the social things ('I went here, did that') separate from the essay content I'd prefer for my blog. It also means that 'personal' stuff from my normal facebook profile isn't exposed to anyone interested in following my writing updates.

If you've got a page, maybe list it here as another type of 'social' blog? I'm looking to 'Like' a few Hatrackers

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I have a fb author page here - karentsmith author page.

Just beginning, but it's a useful tool for keeping from spamming your own personal feed.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Facebook Pages for Authors and otherwise. I run two (well three but I probably won't use the third until 2012) Facebook pages to support local public safety. Facebook pages are a great tool for marketing. Had one for my business once too.

here

and here

Are the pages I use now.

I think maybe once I get something published I will make one for myself as an Author.

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the Author Page but I don't think I have anything to put up there until my current novel is done.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micmcd
Member # 7977

- posted      Profile for micmcd   Email micmcd         Edit/Delete Post 
I finally have enough blog posts up that I can now say "I have a blog" instead of "I'm starting a blog" or "really trying to keep up a blog."

My really real author blog

Posts: 500 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post 
Just started mine not so long ago.

http://pdblake.blogspot.com/

ETA:

I also have a gardening blog. Nothing to do with writing, but it's all grist right?

Urban Escape

[ July 13, 2012, 03:46 AM: Message edited by: pdblake ]

Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
My brand new blog:

http://trinamariephillips.wordpress.com/

Thanks for looking.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Okay pd and genevive I looked at both.

Actually not bad, nice colors and well stated comments.

I include both of them in that statement even though each has a different background color scheme, and says something different.

Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 
Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd just bring this one back to the forefront.

My Facebook writing page: http://www.facebook.com/SteveHuskTheWriter

With my YA series within a month and a half (supposedly) of making its debut, I figured it was time to make this page a bit more active.

Much to my horror, I don't have very many Facebook writers pages for my fellow Hatrackers. If you have one, let me know where to find it.

S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
Facebook Author Page

My Blog Page

Twitter

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.