Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Join me for ceremonial head-banging?

Author Topic: Join me for ceremonial head-banging?
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
just got turned down by an agent for whom I had high hopes. Her comments, basically, were: Nice characters and development, it lags and needs cut, the ending didn't "wow" me.

woe is me. Good thing I didn't quit my day job.

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
ooh! A place to bang my head.
*BANG,BANG,BANG*

Maybe that will knock together the nuerons that will take the countless magnificent stories swimming around in my head, and arrange them into a format in which I can express them into prose that will not be rejected time and time again.

I feel your pain.

Keep writing. It is what we do. Submit it elswhere...until there is nowhere else to submit it to. By then we will have evolved into slightly better writers and will no doubt have other stories to cry over.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
Keep writing? You mean I was supposed to do something BEFORE the head-banging? And I thought I was already a pro at that...
Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Macallans. And if that doesn't work, another. Repeat as necessary.

Then, tomorrow, start writing a new story--there's still time to enter the ansibles and blazing guns challenge ;-)

Cheers,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Good thing I didn't quit my day job.

Sounds like a good title for a story: Day Job. This is reserved for Deb (unless she bequeaths it to me).

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lullaby Lady
Member # 1840

- posted      Profile for Lullaby Lady   Email Lullaby Lady         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I'm so sorry, Deb. That just stinks!

But don't give up!!! Maybe taking another look at the ending and trying something different will strengthen your story. I thought the positive comments the agent gave were really great. And hey, you just got free feedback from a professional. Your edit and/or next story is surely going to WOW someone!!!

((((((Deb))))))

Hang in there lady-- you can beat this!

Hugs,
~LL

Posts: 212 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd bang my head, but I'm on the outs over any number of common customs in the publishing world. And this looks like another one looming up. Isn't an agent supposed to sell stories, rather than offer literary criticism?
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel for you, but the fact you got an agent to look at your work and comment is a major feat in itself. My advice, look at the work again, with the agent's thoughts in mind. If you agree with them, make the changes that might fix it and submit to another agency, or even the same one if they left the opening. If you don't agree, submit to another agency anyway. As writers that is all we can do. Remember an agent's opinion is just that his/her thoughts, it doesnt make it gospel. But I would look seriously at what he/she said and consider it, sometimes as writers we are too attached and can't see beyond our thoughts.

Anyways, good luck, keep the chin up.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
dude, agent read the whole thing! That's quite an accomplishment.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah its good to remember that in the end, all this stuff largely boils down to opinion/taste. Finding the right person is key. I've read your work a bit, I'd say its just a matter of time and finding the right people and markets and all.

Doesnt make it any less anoying for you though.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, it sucks because my pride and ego are hurt - I was trying to decide what my vanity plates would say. And then, of course, there is the fact that she was rejecting it for reasons that had begun to occur to me as well. Which means take it apart and rewrite it, or give it a nice funeral. After a couple of days moping, I'm thinking I'm going to rewrite it the way it should be - or at least, the best way I can now. Because a normal, sane person would just stop. So, If I keep going, in spite of a rejection, and actually learn something from it. . . .

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited July 04, 2008).]

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Deb, it does hurt when they don't recognize our obvious brilliance.

Believe me, I know. I've been rejected by some of the best agents in the business. If you can see how to improve it, that's good. Don't give up on it. And remember, there are a lot of agents out there.

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.