Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » first person AND third person?

Author Topic: first person AND third person?
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
Call me crazy, but I'm reworking an old novel idea, and I have a first person narrator I really like. But I am also wanting to pump the plot with some third person chapters of what's going on without her knowledge. Do you know of any novels where this has been done - and worked?
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdt
Member # 3889

- posted      Profile for jdt   Email jdt         Edit/Delete Post 
Barry Eisler in the later books of his Rain/Assassin series.

Posts: 57 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
Kurt Vonnegut used both first and third person in Breakfast of Champions, though Vonnegut in first person narrator is the omniscient character, and the clueless third person in the person of Kilgore Trout is the protagonist. Fresh from the popular success of Slaughterhouse-Five, Breakfast sold half as many copies, nearly half a million since release in 1973, 400,000 in the first decade.

[This message has been edited by extrinsic (edited July 06, 2008).]

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

gracias. I don't think I could pull off a "Breakfast of Champions," but I'll check out Eisler tomorrow at the library.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sholar
Member # 3280

- posted      Profile for sholar   Email sholar         Edit/Delete Post 
Tales of the Otori by Lian Hearn did one character in first and the other in third. While the first book did this ok, by the end, the character shifts were far too frequent and made the story far worse.
Posts: 303 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EP Kaplan
Member # 5688

- posted      Profile for EP Kaplan   Email EP Kaplan         Edit/Delete Post 
Christine did that. First person, then third, back to first.
Vonnegut has done it a few times. His last book, Timequake, used that technique. And our favorite author's Hart's Hope used 1st, 2nd, AND 3rd person narration.

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

King's Christine?
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
Widdershins: see the listing in Published Hooks and Books
http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum30/HTML/000200.html

[This message has been edited by MrsBrown (edited July 07, 2008).]

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
Well deb, I'd say go for it. I've done it myself in a novel, though the first and third person narator was the same person, telling two different stories. One being the present, the other his telling of what happened in the past.

Not sure how you would handle it, did you complete the novel this way, but I'm wondering how would you write a query for this type of POV in a novel?

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

query's the easy part, Darklight, as I don't need to write one. Already have had a publisher request a full. But I wanted to make some changes before I sent the manuscript, and I'm thinking a dash of third-person exposition would be just the thing. I just couldn't remember seeing anything done like that recently, and wanted to look at how some other folks handled it, first.

JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Normally PoV isn't discussed in a query anyway so I don't think that would be an issue. Great on having a request for a full!
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Marion Zimmer Bradley, in her Darkover books about Regis Hastur and Lew Alton, would use third person for the Regis Hastur chapters and first person for the Lew Alton chapters, and it worked fine, as I recall.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

quote:
Normally PoV isn't discussed in a query anyway so I don't think that would be an issue.

Yeh, I was getting confused because my story has two different story lines, and don't know how to query it, but not to hijack deb's thread: Great one getting a publisher to look at your entire novel!

Now tell the rest of us how to do it

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

hijack away, Darklight - I share! Is this a new novel, or the one you've posted 13s on?

And for those of you who gave me titles of books with alternate pov, how did they delineate? Chapters with the name of the POV character?

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited July 07, 2008).]

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember a Spider Robinson novel which alternated first person with third-person-five-years-before. I liked the first person scenes better...but the third person stuff did play into, and very importantly, the way things developed.

(I tried mixing some short third-person dreams in with a long first-person narrative in my latest...it didn't really work out for me, even while I wrote it, so I'll rewrite those scenes when I come up to them...)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

Thanks deb It's a novel from last year. I did post in F and F but was never happy with the first two chapters so it sat for almost a year. Anyhow, had a breakthrough a couple of weeks ago, and know now how I want it to start, if I get time to put it down on the page.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.