Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Writers Reality Check

Author Topic: Writers Reality Check
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
WRITER'S REALITY CHECK

(from issue #179 of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Workshop Newsletter)

as inspired by Damon Knight

Example of a reality check process. (To be used whenever someone gives you a writing "rule"--be it the author of a how-to-write book, an editor, an author who is your idol, or anyone who tries to tell you "this is the Only Way.")

Editor on a panel at a con says, "Don't start stories with a weather report."

Reality check:

Go make a pile of as many different kinds of published stories as you can find (especially stories that editor has bought, or if it's a published author, look at stories that author has written).

Read the beginnings. Notice how many of these start with a description of a scene and the kind of weather happening in the scene.

Ask yourself why the editor would advise against starting stories that way. Were any of those starts boring? Did any of them have a character in the setting, noticing/experiencing the weather? Did any of the "weather reports" go on for too long?

Were any of them wonderful to read? (In my opinion, Tony Hillerman, who starts almost every one of his chapters with a weather report, can keep doing that for as long as he likes. I love his chapter starts. Which is remarkable because I usually find large chunks of description very boring, especially when they are weather reports at the beginnings of stories. However, in the hands of someone who knows how to do it- -and I've asked Hillerman how he does it (he doesn't know, or so he says)--even a weather report can be a hook.)

Next step, analysis:

What about Hillerman's weather reports makes them work for me?

What about other weather reports makes them boring? Is there something I can learn from these examples?

Step after that, immersion:

Type story beginnings that work for you into your computer.

Type story beginnings that don't work for you into your computer. Notice as you type what is different about each. If that doesn't help, tear those weather reports apart. Examine their structure, the number of adjectives they have, the number of other parts of speech they have, the order of the various parts of speech. Diagram the sentences if you have to. Make a list of the different kinds of sentences and sentence structures. Disect the life out of them, but understand them.

Final step:

Decide for yourself how you are going to write.

Use this procedure as often as necessary.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited July 16, 2008).]

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jericho
Member # 8073

- posted      Profile for Jericho   Email Jericho         Edit/Delete Post 
Much obliged for the post.

I always thought the whole "rules are meant to be broken" was most important for writers, but you have to really understand why it is a cliche or a contrivance or usually just cheap before you can make it something with real character.

Posts: 47 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
An interesting post but I'm a bit confused by it. I don't quite understand why I would want to learn to start a story with a weather report or type out beginnings that I don't think work.

I frequently do type things that I think work. I've deconstructed parts of GRR Martin's work more times than I could count.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I just don't understand the advice.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited July 16, 2008).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
JeanneT, I don't think Kathleen meant to study what you don't like, but to salvage what you do--and to identify where it went wrong. However, I believe the overall point is that any "no-no" can be done outside of the proverbial box, therefore making it "safe"--not the cliche (or lack of skill) that it's normally flagged as.

But, I could be wrong.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that!

I actually just had this moment myself. A while back I got the advice, "Don't start a story with a meeting." Apparently, meetings are boring things you have to do at work and nobody really likes. Well, my WIP starts with a meeting. It's a mystery story and starts with the meeting between the PI and the client.

I tried to start the same story with a gunfight but hated it.

I just picked up "A is for Alibi" by Sue Grafton. It starts with a meeting. So do dozens of other mysteries.

The meeting is back at the beginning of the book. I smoothed out some of the info dump though.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Many rules like that are of the: "it's usually done badly" sort, I think.

I recently critiqued a story that started with a meeting at which the protag sat feeling put-upon while the speaker went on... and on... and on...

About 1,500 words later there was a hint that something, sometime might happen. After reading that, I might give the same advice. That doesn't mean, of course, that it can't be done well.

IB, you may be right about what she meant. I was just a bit confused by it. I certainly agree on studying what you think works well in depth--or I hope she's right on that. It's something I'm doing a lot of these days.

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
There isn't likely to be a rule against something if people weren't doing the something in the first place. No editor is going to say "don't start stories with a weather report" to writers if that editor weren't seeing lots of stories with weather reports, and writers would not be likely to be starting stories with weather reports if they hadn't seen published stories that started with weather reports.

The same goes for rules about stories that start with dialog or someone waking up or with flashbacks. You study what doesn't work to see why it doesn't work, and you study what does work (especially if it breaks a "rule") to see why it does work.

"Weather report" actually refers to a block of setting description at the beginning of a story, and is called that because the weather is usually included in the setting description. For me, the main reason for that "rule" is that there is usually no character for anyone to care about in such beginnings. (And, I submit, that the main reason I like the way Tony Hillerman does it is because he starts with a character observing the weather and caring about it, and that makes all the difference.)

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for posting this, Kathleen. I think it's a great, systematic way of dissecting why something works for you.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the key note of this is the final step "Decide for yourself how you are going to write."

Not that there isn't merit in taking the advice of others (particularly the advice of professionals) but at the end of the day it's you at that keyboard and your name on the paper.

Oh and JeanneT I think the value in studying things that don't work for you is in knowing exactly why and how they don't work for you. It might help your diagnostic abilities. It might also help you understand why someone would say "don't do this" because of the bad way it has been done. Of course it wouldn't be worth it to put in the work for something you don't want to do, but for something you do want to do that someone whose advice you trust told you not to. (or at least that's my read of the situation.)

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynk
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for Lynk   Email Lynk         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you. Very helpful and interesting.
Posts: 20 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
The fact that Hillerman starts with weather reports and sells partly is because his name is well known. People trust him to give them a good story no matter how he starts it off.

I think it is a matter of starting with something interesting. Now that can be a weather report. Or a news item or a description of a character. A conversation or a meeting. It doesn't matter WHAT it is, just that your words reach out and grab the reader.

Dull descriptions -- which I seem to see in lots of 13 lines here -- never work. I guess that to the authors (who know what is coming) they ARE interesting and exciting. The problem may be more one of finding ways to see what is really down in the words instead of what is in your mind.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tommose
Member # 8058

- posted      Profile for tommose   Email tommose         Edit/Delete Post 
Hillerman is trusted, and that's why he gets away with weather reports. I was always taught to stay away from trying to use the weather as a scene-setting tool.

"It was a dark and stormy night." 'nuff said.

Posts: 60 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the "interesting and exciting" [to me] part down pat---but it usually loses something in the translation from inside my skull to words on paper [or computer screen].

I generally like a story (or movie, or whatever) to have weather of some kind---it ads to the feeling that this is taking place somewhere, and is not just a creation from inside someone's mind. Characters should step outside and step into sunny, rainy, snowy, whatever...or if they stay inside they can talk about stuffy or chilly or something.

(My latest thing has the characters mostly inside a force field. (I wasn't going to call it that.) I was thinking of making it hot and stuffy from a lack of air flow...)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

quote:
The fact that Hillerman starts with weather reports and sells partly is because his name is well known. People trust him to give them a good story no matter how he starts it off.

Did you know that Hillerman was once a new author, and that at one time few people had even heard of him?

I met him back then, at a book signing for his first book (the bookstore owner was a mystery fan and told me about it, so I read it before the signing, and that was when I asked him about how he managed to write such good beginnings--and he told me he didn't know). For most of the signing, I was the only other person there, talking to him.

He became a best-seller after that, but he wrote "weather report" starts that worked from the very beginning.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Perhaps a better way to word the "rule" is not to say "no weather reports." As Robert Nowall has said, they are necessary at times.

Perhaps the better way to word the "rule" might be something along the lines of "establishing shots are for television and movies, not for written works."

Basically, the description lump (which may include a "weather report") at the beginning of a story, chapter, or even scene is probably influenced by all the visual media people see (and try to imitate in their written work).

tommose
Member # 8058

That's what I like about space ships. No weather.
Posts: 60 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
All my works weather plays a key part. For weather plays a key part in battles and lives of the characters in the worlds in witch I write.

And yes there weather in space, solar storms, cosmic rays, even as ships battle in dust clouds there is lightning that can fry a fight crafts main computer.

Weather is all-around us in everyday life so why would it not play a part in the stories we write?

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tommose
Member # 8058

Actually, I agree that, in some cases, weather doesn't play a part. I happen to agree with what Heinlein said in one of his novels (I'm listening to Starship Troopers again, and it came up). To paraphrase, weather is rarely interesting, except when it's happening to you.

Weather as a plot device is fine; it would be difficult to write a story about a hurricane without saying that it was raining.

Weather as comic device is, in my opinion, fine as well; "As I started to walk home, it started snowing."

The worst cases that I've read are when authors use the weather in an attempt to force the reader into a mood or as a harbinger of bad things to come. It's cliche that bad things happen on dark and story nights.

Hillerman's use of a weather report is a device that he uses to great effect. On others, it might come across as copying or hoaky. Hillarman's weather reports aren't, however, meant to do anything other than to set the scene. They aren't written, that I've noticed, to foretell what's about to happen. They are simply a statement of what is. That said, I haven't read Hillerman in a few years, and my memory has been jogged by this discussion. I could be mis-remembering.

debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
Kathleen, I met him last year at the Hillerman Conference in Albequerque and plan on going back this year. He is a charming and very modest man, who does a great deal to encourage other authors.

In Hillerman's case, I would throw out the idea that his "weather reports" are much more than that - they bring a sense of how his characters are observant of and closely tied to their environments. He is demonstrating a part of Jim Chee and Joe Leaphorn's personalities by grounding the scenes in their awareness of their physical surroundings and the influence it has on them.

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Weather can be used to ground your character very effectively, I think. But that's different from a "weather report."

Consider the difference in: "It was a dark and stormy night; the rain fell in torrents--except at occasional intervals, when it was checked by a violent gust of wind which swept up the streets (for it is in London that our scene lies), rattling along the housetops, and fiercely agitating the scanty flame of the lamps that struggled against the darkness."

and

"The dawn had dawned clear and cold, with a crispness that hinted at the end of summer. They set forth at daybreak to see a man beheaded, twenty in all, and Bran rode among them, nervous with excitment."

The first helped to give the "weather report" opening a bad reputation. The second happens to be one of my all-time favorite novel openings and starts with the weather, but you quickly have a character's PoV and know that something is happening.

arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, here's my favorite weather opening. From GARDEN OF VIPERS by Jack Kerley.

A static weather front bred thunderstorm cells from New Orleans to Pensacola. Rain dropped in sheets and lightning shredded the sky. Then, as if on a switch, the deluge halted and the air turned sweet and balmy. Ten minutes later, earth and sky were at war again. Mobile, Alabama, was dead center in the conflict.

"What do you think, Carson?" My detective partner, Harry Nautilus, peered through the windshield wipers. "Time to start loading up the animals two by two?"

"How about this time we leave the mosquitoes behind?"

It was nine-thirty pm, the streets were almost dead, sane .....

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a paragraph from my novella where I feel the weather plays an important roll. Wyatt wouldn't do what he does after this with near the voilence if it hadn't been for the weather in this particular scene:

<Summer’s heat had burned Wyatt’s patience to a cinder. It was past midday, and he couldn’t wait for the auction to end. He pulled his sweaty shirt free from his back with one hand and rode a chestnut gelding around the ring with the other.>

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
JeanneT, neither of your examples are weather reports, IMO. The first--my favorite of the two--is well written. I can feel the storm, which brings me immediately into the story. I expect the characters, when introduced, to relate to the violence of the air and sky. Additionally, I did not stop on the cliché, because the semicolon helped carry me to the next sentence.

In your second example, the weather is relative to the action. Those of us who regularly "set forth at daybreak" know that the weather at the time of leaving can set the mood for the rest of day.

Crystal, among others, brings up the excellent point that weather affects everyone, at least subconsciously. As tommose explained, the trick in writing with weather is to keep the focus on how it affects the characters, not the readers. Looking at successful examples of opening with a weather description, I see a relevant connection between elements of the weather and a character.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Um, that piece by Bulwer-Lytton -- I'm not sure what to say.

I honestly...am speechless and that's not easy.

Edit: I keep thinking about explaining, but... Oh, dear. I'm leaving now. Perhaps you might want to look that piece up.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited July 18, 2008).]

aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Fine, so other people don't like it. Now I know.
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the original post was intended to be more about "rules" than about "weather". The mega-bestselling "A Wrinkle in Time" starts, "It was a dark and stormy night."

Some rules are made to be broken, others are not.

In the current SFWA Bulletin Resnick and Malzberg discuss whether the "rule" that you should start out selling short stories holds in today's market.

Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
Now, that's something I'd like to find out simply because I'm much better at writing a novel length piece than a short story .
Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Thank you, Rick. This topic really isn't just about the "rule" to not start stories with "weather reports."

So, how would we do a reality check on the idea that it's better to try to sell short stories before trying to sell novels?

Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Mike Resnick pointed out that there are now actually more novel writers than short story writers.

[This message has been edited by Rick Norwood (edited July 21, 2008).]

Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
That would be interesting. How many authors started off selling short stories and how many started off with a novel?
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.