Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Sequels

Author Topic: Sequels
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
A sequel is a pretty interesting concept, when you really think about it. I mean, how many kinds of art can "continue" after being made... very few.

We're lucky, as writers, that we can continue characters and storylines until we tire of them. Movies can do this too, but only because movies are written stories with characters as well, based -once again- on writing.

But could you imagine a sequel to a song? Or a sequel to a painting? What would that be, taking the Mona Lisa and adding to it, now showing the person who was supposedly sitting next to her?

I just think that's one of the perks we actually have.

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited July 31, 2008).]

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting... artists do have series, and songs do belong to albums, many of which are similarly themed or tell a story of some kind. But you're right, we have the option of extending and expanding a story.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Yeah, it's like... take Nirvana's hit "Heart Shaped Box," fans can only hope to get similar sounds from other songs by that band, or that genre, but they can't really ever get a continuation of the exact same thing. (Linkin Park is pretty close, in that every sing is the same exact pattern) But you can't just take Teenage Wasteland by The Who (yes I know that isn't the real name) and add another 4 minutes to it a year after it goes platinum.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh...I hate to burst your bubble, but there aren't very many styles that don't have sequels. They may not be called sequels, but Star Wars was the first franchise to coin the term. Until then, they were serials. I can rattle off a bunch of part 1 and 2 songs: Vermillion; Rock and Roll; Something Wicked (Which is a trilogy); The Glorius Burden... Frank Frazetta is the original fantasy artist (he's been painting fantasy since the 1930s) and Death Dealer, one of his most famous characters (known as the infamous Molly Hatchet cover), and The Jaguar God have had books and comics (and a movie) based on them. Ironically, Ralph Bakshi did a film based on Frank Frazetta's characters called Fire and Ice, a cartoon for adults. Even commercials have sequels.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

OK well maybe I should be less absolute in my terms. But I think my point is still pretty interesting. And that is:

It is easier for OSC to write another Ender book (borrowing the setting and characters from himself) than for U2 to make an extension of "With or Without You."

Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I can think of a song sequel...they made one to "The Devil Went Down to Georgia." It was awful, actually.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

This is a perk we--as writers--actually have... don't take it away... don't send it to join our dignity on the otherside.
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
remix!
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
On the down-side, if we write a book and royally mess it up somehow, I don't think we can do a "Special Edition" of it like they did for Star Wars.
Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
Reprise!

Like Desperado by the Eagles. One Man Band by Daltry.

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Bent Tree...that's funny. I think I'm going to start remixing novels. "Check out the new Harry Potter remix by Dave Williams!" Has a nice ring to it.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
There have been sequels done in songs. I'm going to be giving away my age but I can think of at least two examples from the 60's. The Royal Guardsmen put out four songs about Snoopy. They were all big hits in their time. This is the order of their release:

Snoopy and the Red Baron

The Return of the Red Baron (I think that was the title. It's been a few years .)

Snoopy's Christmas

Snoopy for President

The other song with a sequel was put out by Sam the Sham & the Pharoahs. The first hit was about little red riding hood and the second about the big bad wolf and the three little pigs, though the pigs weren't mentioned in the song.

So, yes, there have been sequels done in music. I bet there are more if one gave it a little more thought.

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we could name song sequels all day. How about Chubby Checker's "Let's Twist Again"?? It's actually pretty good.

Sequels to novels, movies, graphic novels, epic poems, etc. are continuations of a story, or some MICE quotient of a story (thought I think only the Milieu, Character, and Event are typically used in sequels).

Sequels to songs are a special breed. They can continue with the Idea, as Chubby Checker did.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

A book series (for instance Harry Potter) will keep the same setting, characters, and for lack of a better word feel throughout without any of it getting old. But with song "sequels" you can't keep the same 4/4 rythme and melody that you loved in the original and spread it to the "sequel" song without it getting old, it seems to me that most of these "sequels" in songs have to be more inherently different than book sequels, so in a sense they aren't really sequels because they don't continue the same song. Not most of them. Not really. Not as far as I can tell.
marywillow
Member # 8101

- posted      Profile for marywillow   Email marywillow         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys, I've busy making a living this week (no, NOT by writing, unfortunately) and have missed an awful lot! I also just discovered Frank Frazetta from reading this thread, and I used to live across the Delaware River from the museum. Thanks for that reference - I'll be going there on my next trip east.

True, only the written word (including movies and songs based on a writer's vision)can generate true sequels, but I love the way some of us took the concept and expanded it. Writers get inspiration from all kinds of places, and others' writing is only one of them.

While we're at the relationship between works of art - What would you call Alabama's "Sweet Home Alabama" response to Neil Young's "Southern Man?"

MW

Posts: 28 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What would you call Alabama's "Sweet Home Alabama" response to Neil Young's "Southern Man?"

An answer song.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.