Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Does it get easier?

Author Topic: Does it get easier?
alliedfive
Member # 7811

- posted      Profile for alliedfive   Email alliedfive         Edit/Delete Post 
I have written a grand total of one completed story thus far. It's around 5,000 words and I am making edits now. The thing is, it took me like two and a half weeks to write, and its just a first draft. My question is: Does the first one take longer than the rest? I've seen some posts lately about shooting for a short story a week, or writing a novel draft in a month. I guess I was kind of shocked at how long that first one took, and it's not even very good! Any thoughts?
Posts: 323 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
It gets easier, I think, in that you find a process that works for you. But writing is never easy, I think, and because each story or project is different, you're confronted with different problems that can be just as difficult to overcome. I base this on my own experience and on what I've read of other authors describing their process.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
My focus, besides improving writing and seeking that ever elusive audience resonance, is on increasing the efficiency of my writing. It's getting more efficient but not less time consuming, so far. My stories are better and taking about the same time to write and revise as the first fully realized one; however, there's a lot more thought going into them. Draft writing is taking slightly longer, but revising is taking less time.

My current story is moving along more surely than my previous one, though. It's in the draft process. Just other priorities are getting in the way and other craft endeavors are depleting my reservoir of creative inspiration. It'll be done for the Q-4/08 WOTF deadline, regardless.

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
My first story, 9500 words, took about 5 days to write.
My second story, 3800 words, took nearly two weeks.
I just finished my third, 6000 words and it took atleast three weeks.

On the other hand I'm working on a piece at this very moment that I think I have a chance of finishing today. I started it an hour ago.

It really depends on the work. Sometimes a story flows and other times you agonize over a paragraph for days.

It never gets easier but you do begin to accept that there is no magic formula to tell you how long a story will take or even how long it will be until you are done.

But, if you are like me, writing is the fun part. Once I'm done with a story I feel like a mother lion who has watcher her cub leave the borough for the last time. Bittersweet.

Anthony

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't confuse easier with faster.

Sometimes I write fairly fast, other times slowly.

But writing only gets harder. I demand more and more of myself.

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliedfive
Member # 7811

- posted      Profile for alliedfive   Email alliedfive         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a good point about easier vs. faster. Good to know that not everyone is cranking out a story per week.

Another question. I read someone say that the first million words of your writing career are just practice. Has anyone found that to be true? Anyone had any success selling the first thing they ever wrote?

Posts: 323 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! That number gets bigger almost every time I see it mentioned.

There have been one or two people who sold the first thing they ever wrote, but I understand that they lived to regret it. If you sell something before you've really learned what you're doing, it can come back to haunt you.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Does the first one take longer than the rest? I've seen some posts lately about shooting for a short story a week.

I'll tell you at the end of this week ...

Shooting wildly,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I read someone say that the first million words of your writing career are just practice.

I'm 1/2 way there.

Does it get any easier?

Yes, and faster. My first novel took 18 months, 2nd 9 months, 3rd 2 months, 41 days of actual writing. But of course, the first novel I thought didn't need to be edited, but I gave it 2 weeks. The second gave it 3 months of editing, and the third going on 6 months.

I guess my point is, for me, the writing came easier, and faster, BUT the more I learned about writing the more editing and polishing I realized I needed. The truth of the matter is my frist draft of my 3rd novel was far better than my "finished" first book, or my 2nd for that matter.

So, yes it comes easier at times, but also the more we learn the better we want to become, which can slow the process down as we push ourselves to improve.

Of course that is until we sell that first novel that sells a zillion copies and then we can live off our names.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psnede
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
KDW wrote:
quote:
There have been one or two people who sold the first thing they ever wrote, but I understand that they lived to regret it. If you sell something before you've really learned what you're doing, it can come back to haunt you.

hmm. that is the conundrum I have been in. I have written a handful of short stories, the first 2-3 I would never dream of submitting. The next two I have at least some satisfaction with, but I would not consider them representative of where I'd want to be.

Options:
1.) Start testing the waters with a semi-pro publisher (advantage - learn that side of the business).

2.) Same as option 1, but use a pen name?

3.) Keep writing and writing for 1-2 years until I reach a level that's closer to my ambition.

4.) Other option???

[This message has been edited by psnede (edited August 06, 2008).]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

quote:
I read someone say that the first million words of your writing career are just practice.

My first attempt at a science fiction novel will never see the light of day. On purpose. I wrote it during a time when I had no clue what I was doing, but my passion for telling stories tasked me to write it anyway. I distinctly remember reading through it years later, and feeling somewhat embarrassed at how I portrayed myself as a relayer of stereotypes and cliches. Still, there were some fairly decent ideas tucked inside, so I expanded on them in the form of a new story. Looking back on it now, this second wave of efforts chronicled the emergence of my own writing voice.

Many of my early works, regardless of genre, played out the same way. With one notable exception. The very first story I ever wrote, a novel-length young adult manuscript, will be ready for submission later this month. Yes, this manuscript was the beneficiary of several rewrites (the timing of which paralleled my various evolutionary steps as a writer), but I see the resulting product as the practice squad participant that might actually make the starting lineup. A million 'practice' words for this story is probably fairly accurate.

S!
S!...C!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it matters not. If it takes you a month to write a story that is really excellent and brings you pride, so be it. Once you get comfortable in your process of writing, things will become smoother and quicker.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
No, it doesn't get any easier, though it does sometimes go faster.

What's that famous expression? "Sure, writing's easy. Just stare at the computer screen/keyboard/typewriter/notepad until my forehead bleeds."

In my opinion, it doesn't get easier because I know so much more now, I have so much more *work* to do, because I see so much more subtlty in stories and want to evoke what it is that I love in good stories - which takes me a heck of a lot of work. Sometimes, though, something great turns out. The story I'm most proud of at the moment is one that I wrote in 90 minutes. First draft. I've tinkered another 2-3 hours on it and have at least 1-2 more hours due to work on it, but I'm still mighty proud of it. I know it represents some of my best work. And I look forward to unseating it as my best story by the *next* story I write.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
I've written stories, of various lengths, in anywhere from a period of a few days to a month or more.

Its all about the muses. It takes however long or however not-long that it takes. And I dont think that ever changes.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to repeat, speed has nothing to do with easy. I can write a short story in a week and that's no problem. It has nothing to do with how much I sweat over it except that I'll skip the months of nit-picking afterwards.

The more you learn about writing the more you leanrn that you still don't know. And the more you realize that you can and should improve. That's what makes it hard. And writing is darn hard. Much harder than I ever suspected when I started out.

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
I find short-stories, in almost every way, more difficult to write than novels. It might be just the way I'm programmed, but I completed three novels before I ever could complete a short story (which remains to be seen as I'm about 3/4 through it as of this post.) And the only thing motivating me to finish it is an impending deadline--WotF. With my novels I finished within one year each, without any time constraints, because of the joy of writing them. Maybe I'm just a long-story teller because I like a long and twisted plot with a lot of character growth over time. (Hard to do in 5,000 words.)

To me "difficulty" isn't about time spent. For instance I could spend days, even weeks, reading through a harry poter book - but it's an easy read, a light and simple read - where you fly through it like you're coasting on air half-asleep. But forcing my way even 3 pages into the Scarlet Letter is much more difficult, even though it requires less time.

That's the best analogy I've got at the moment.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems to take somewhat less time for me to copy out a second draft than to write-from-scratch a first draft---at least, it did before I got heavily into persnickitty revision.

However...when I was young (and unemployed), I could turn out short stories every week or so, and a novel in a few months. (Not that they were any good.) Now that I'm older (and employed), it takes months-per-short-story and as for novels...well, my last completed novel took five years and my last stab at one is dead in the water after almost a year...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Whenever I learn a new word I get excited, and often jump straight to m-w.com to be precise about its definition. "Persnickety" is now in my arsenal, thanks Robert!

At first I thought you made it up--and was prepared to throw a huge party in your honor, since it's a cool sounding word, but alas--since it is not your invention--you'll have to settle for this imaginary two-pence I'm giving you.

(Spend it in America, the dollar is down low enough for you to buy a house with the current exchange rates/mortgage crisis)

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited August 07, 2008).]

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I still can't decide whether I spelled it right or not...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinkin' extrinsic will show up any time and let you know, Robert.

I make up new words all the time, and people throw things at me. Embrous. fatuitous. Analogican.

But that's all beside the point. Everything gets easier the more you do it, Alliedfive. And the more you know what inside you you want to express. I see themes in what I write now, that were not there when I was younger. Unfortunately, just about the time it gets really easy, you have a stroke and then go into a nursing home with no internet for the rest of your life. I figure I've got about five years left if I move the walker really fast. so it goes.

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

Persnickety isn't in Webster's as Mr. Nowall spells it; however, I believe it's bad form for me in informal conversation, in person or online, to correct mechanical style, grammar, spelling, or punctuation unless requested to do so or if the posting is offered for such or similar as in a 13-line.

I can say that the more I've practiced (and corrected, which I do for pay) style, etc., the easier it gets and the more esoteric it becomes.

[This message has been edited by extrinsic (edited August 08, 2008).]

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

I've come to count on you for your incredibly well-researched observations, extrinsic. I'm thinking this isn't so much a mechanics in casual conversation as a fun speculation on the spelling of an old timey expression. My mom used to call me an idjit when I was a kid. My kids think that's hillarious. Anyone know how to spell it?
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

Idjit isn't in any of my formal dictionaries. It is in a dialect one I have for Down East Carolina terms. Idjit spelled that way drew 20,000+ hits in a search engine query. Lacking a respectable reference and a widely accepted spelling, any one source is a reasonable authority. I've heard idjit said that way in my work. However, legal transcription requires converting derivative dialect into its proper form, if it's translatable and doesn't change the meaning, ie, them for 'em. A legal dictionary definition and spelling of an encountered version of idiot, idjit, is located at;

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Idjit

Try to find mommick, mammock, or mummuck, three words, three different regions, same meanings; tatters, shreds, flinders, or shattered ruins of nerves, clothes, lumber, homes, or villages. The origin of those words derive from the cotton rags collected from Elizabethan era English homes and fermented into a raw material used in papermaking, cotton rag paper pulp, mammack.

"They's young-ins got me all about mommicked up."

Oh, and the etymology of persnickety indicates an earlier version, British circa 1818, pernickety, which has an unknown origin.

[This message has been edited by extrinsic (edited August 08, 2008).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of idjit (well, actually idiot), I have heard of a "tech" term for computer problems that can be attributed to the ignorance of the user. They refer to them as "eye-dee-ten-tee" problems (or I-D-10-T).
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kathyton
Member # 7780

- posted      Profile for kathyton   Email kathyton         Edit/Delete Post 
My Irish characters always want to say "idjit."

Posts: 195 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

that's because they're really, really cool Irish characters. My mom was Irish, by way of nashville. I wonder if that's where it comes from.
kathyton
Member # 7780

- posted      Profile for kathyton   Email kathyton         Edit/Delete Post 
good confirmation, thanks.

these characters talk, and I just write it down--they could be telling me anything, and I'd believe it.

Posts: 195 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

My dictionary attached to Works went out of commission 'round the time I put some new security software in...spell checking still works, but I can't look anything up...
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Persnickety isn't in Webster's as Mr. Nowall spells it...

It is, however, in the reference.com's dictionary and in the OED as the "North American term for PERNICKETY". Idjit, however, is not.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited August 09, 2008).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Of course whether a word technically exists or not never stopped Shakespeare.
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
Answering the original question.

NO. It actually gets harder – much harder. However, you get much better with time and you get used to it. So in that sense it’s easier and even more enjoyable. Short of being absurdly gifted, there are few shortcuts. There are a few ‘how to’ books that aren’t just a stupid attempt to make a quick buck. The good ones will completely open your eyes and change your approach, helping you with everything from structure to characterization to developing plot and story ideas. Men have always added bricks to a house built over much time by their predecessors and this is the wisest choice with regard to your learning curve. “I want to do this from scratch, all by myself,” is unlikely to project you too far unless, like I say, you are absurdly gifted.

I can list the good ones I know of, if you like.

Tracy

My opinion will vary from others, but personally I am in the quality not quantity camp.

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliedfive
Member # 7811

Please do list them. Ive read OSC's writing books, and Stephen King's so far.
psnede
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
here's the last thread on that topic

Writing Books

I've read through a few (including King's and OSC's "Characters and POV"). Bradbury's Zen and the art of writing is good too, depends on what you are looking for.

I'm a newbie compared to most on the board, so my viewpoints are only worth 1/2

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's EDITING that becomes harder the longer you write. You become more critical of what you've written as you learn more about your craft. You tend to go back and comb through previously written stuff, mumbling to yourself, "This is complete garbage! What nincompoop wrote this crap?"
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
And after you get good at editing, READING becomes the difficult thing. I can't tell you how many books I used to love that I can't even read anymore because all I see are their problems.
Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliedfive
Member # 7811

Unwritten, I totally agree about the reading thing. It makes you realize that 'well written' and 'best seller' aren't necessarily the same thing.

I guess that's one good thing about being unpublished, I haven't had to aim for the middle with my writing, or think about 'sales' over 'stories'

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Sidebar thought on advances in reading techniques, set off by Unwritten and alliedfive...I was just rereading a classic SF reprint, Heinlein's Between Planets, just out again, which had a new foreword and afterword.

Seemed to me the guy who wrote the afterword, a "published writer" I've never heard of (which proves nothing), was trying very hard not to admit he didn't like the book that much anymore...

Read the thing and see what you think...

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

And after you get good at editing, READING becomes the difficult thing. I can't tell you how many books I used to love that I can't even read anymore because all I see are their problems.

Though that internal editor never completely goes away again, it does tame down a bit, when you realize that nobody is perfect. Just like it took a while to accept the stories you love aren't fine examples of prose or mechanics, it takes a while to accept that you can enjoy a story despite its flaws. It took me a while to go through both of those stages and learn to appreciate a voice that seemed clunky or stilted again--but a story is not good or bad because of mehcanics or prose, unless the plot needs the help.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I understand what Robert is saying... I tried to pick up Heinlein's "Stranger In A Strange Land" a few years ago and couldn't choke it down. I'm afraid to try to reread any of his other stories, as he was one of my favorite authors for quite a while. My first adult science fiction book was "Farnam's Freehold," and it made quite an impact on me. I loved Lazarus Long. Now, sadly, Henlein's writing seems sexist and out of date. I think I prefer to keep his writing in the hallowed halls of my memory, rather than expose it to the full light of modern times.
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

On the other hand, I'll sometimes "get" stuff I didn't get when I first read it. I read Theodore Sturgeon's "Baby Is Three" when I was young, liked it, but didn't understand it. Then I reread it in Sturgeon's "Collected Stories" series...and it all made sense.

Sometimes you have to grow some before you understand. I think that was a problem with some of the "literary" books I'd be assigned as reading in school---not that being forced to read something wasn't a barrier, either. I recently finished a reread of The Brothers Karamazov---I know I read it in school, but I remembered nothing of it at all. This time around I got a lot out of it. I'm enheartened enough to want to sample a few other Russian novels that defeated me in my teen years...

(I wonder if I should reconsider The Catcher in the Rye. I hated that book when I read it in school, for school. Would it be any better now? Or have its "tropes" been dispersed so much among the anguished teenager stories and movies that nothing in it would be unfamiliar to me?)

debhoag
Member # 5493

I think a real challenge for a writer is to pick up popular fiction, and read it from the heart - to read and put yourself (myself) in the same place as the readers who found something in it good enough to make it a popular book. It's easy to look at pictures of Marilyn Monroe, now, and say "she was kind of a chunky broad, wasn't she? But can you see why people loved her? Same way with SIASL (not to be confused with TNSTAAFL). It's easy to get hooked on the mechanics, and miss the tender heart and the humor of it.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.