Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » I did THAT!?!

Author Topic: I did THAT!?!
Palaytiasdreams
Member # 8154

- posted      Profile for Palaytiasdreams   Email Palaytiasdreams         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you ever looked at your writing when it was all finished and just gone "WOW, I wrote that!"

Just curious.

Pal..pondering...

Posts: 79 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
More along the lines of: WOW, I wrote <THAT>? Ugg! What was I thinking?
Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
More along the lines of: "I wrote THAT?! I'm a twisted, sick individual..."
Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
I've had some of that, though almost exclusively with work that has had some time to age first. Mainly I come back to it to find that it's not as awful as I had remembered, LOL.

But yes - there is one short piece where even as I finished writing it I realized it was fantastic. Now I need to stop procrastinating and just get it out to markets!

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Palaytiasdreams
Member # 8154

- posted      Profile for Palaytiasdreams   Email Palaytiasdreams         Edit/Delete Post 
I've done the "hang my head in embarrassment" for some past work, but then I look at what I'm writing and think "you've come a long way."

So yeah, I've done both too.

Pal...

Posts: 79 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I call that experience a Breakfast Club-Nub. I don't know if you have seen the movie, but Anthony Michael Hall's character has just finished an essay on "Who I Think I Am" and is so impressed with his own exposition that he gives himself a little punch in the shoulder. I know, I'm a movie addict, but admission is the first step (I hope you all got that really bad pun).
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Palaytiasdreams
Member # 8154

ROFL...I got it I got it!

I love the Breakfast Club and I know just what scene you are talking about.

Pal...pondering puttin in said movie after kids go to bed...

tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yes, The Breakfast Club, where the jock gets the girl, the freak gets the girl, and the nerd... gets to write their essays for them.

Says it all.

(And I soooo totally preferred Ally Sheedy before the "makeover" at the end)

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Palaytiasdreams
Member # 8154

Hmmm guess that made me the 'nerd' of the feminine kind. Hehehe Guess that's why I'm here.

Pal...pondering why the guys are always the nerds...

Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
pondering why the guys are always the nerds...

Not always. It's the cliche, but not always. In fact, I'd like to see a movie where the anti-social computer guru is an attractive female, because they DO exist. My ex-fiancee was one such person: big computer gamer, very cute, but socially inept.

Then again, 24's Chloe comes pretty close to that.

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
I've never met one. I've spent plenty of time perusing through the different schools and majors at two distinct universities (sort of the biproduct of massive indecision on my part)and, interestingly enough, the stereotypes usually hold water.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Rhaythe, I remember a cute (note: female opinion), socially-rejected mechanical engineer in Real Genius (1985) and Angelina Jolie as an on-the-fringe computer expert in the 1995 movie, Hackers. More recently, Hermione Granger is a nerdy yet pretty witch in Harry Potter; she lives in a fringe society, though she is socially adept. Picking apart the list of characteristics you provided, I think people are less likely to classify a female as a nerd the more physically attractive she is, as "nerd" has a more male connotation. Think about the pretty yet bookish girls in high school: the more anti-social of these girls are called a score of unfriendly names and teased unmercifully or ignored completely, while the more attractive of these girls are "role models", not "nerds".

Back to the initial topic, I have experienced "WOW" moments for specific lines. One of these moments came after my grandfather sent me an email thanking me for a post-it note I (accidentally) left at his house years before. He had adopted the message on the note as a personal mantra, and as he had memorized the message, was going to return the post-it to me. I remember the moment I wrote the message, hoping to preserve a moment of wisdom. Seeing the message again brought on the "WOW". (Though, once again, I have forgotten the words and where I put the post-it.) That experience helped me to decide I needed to talk to my subconscious more often--that is, I needed to write more often.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.