Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » So now what?

Author Topic: So now what?
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
Deleted

[This message has been edited by tnwilz (edited September 19, 2008).]

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
check duotrope.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, IGMS should qualify as a professional sale.

Edited to add the link to SFWA's list of membership-qualifying publications and publishers (meaning a sale to them qualifies as a professional sale). IGMS is on SFWA's list.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited September 17, 2008).]

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
Deleted

[This message has been edited by tnwilz (edited September 19, 2008).]

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
IGMS has a turnround of about 90 days. I tend not to send a story to it first off simply because of that response time.

Other possible pro venues (depending on genre) are Asimov's, Astounding Stories, Fantasy and Science Fiction, Realms of Fantasy, Strange Horizons, Clarkesworld, Doorways, and Beneath Ceaseless Skies.

It really is worth doing a fair amount of market research. Duotrope and Ralan's, combined, should tell you plenty and get you a much better idea of where your story might have the best chance of selling.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Try the pro markets anyway. So long as you think it's actually SF (or fantasy), send it to a market that says it wants SF (or fantasy). Even if it doesn't much match what they're publishing, well, they keep saying they want variety in their stories...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd mention that you placed in WOTF.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
(1) Placing could mean lots of things.

(2) And in my experience, mentioning a WOTF semifinalist finish, or even finalist, doesn't make a difference. It's not a true credit. If anything, the story seemed to come back from F&SF even faster.

Edited to add: Definitly don't mention that THAT particular story was the One--because it didn't win, therefore, something must be "wrong" with it from the editor's POV.

[This message has been edited by ChrisOwens (edited September 17, 2008).]

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
If you send it to Astounding it's going to take a really long time to get back to you. I believe they changed to Analog decades ago.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah--so that's what happened to that submission...do you think I should query them?

[This message has been edited by ChrisOwens (edited September 17, 2008).]

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

- posted      Profile for Brad R Torgersen   Email Brad R Torgersen         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless the story lacks a speculative element, or directly defies the writers' guidelines posted to the web sites, why not take a shot at Asimov's, Analog, TMoF&SF, etc? They're the top SFWA markets for short fiction. Don't rule them out! Submit. All they can do is reject. Or buy. If you never submit, they can never buy. It's an easy equation.
Posts: 386 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
So if you can only send it to one place at a time, and hearing back can take months, how do your survive? Have about a dozen stories out at any given time?
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Have about a dozen stories out at any given time?

Bingo

Some of us are trying to up our numbers down in the "Writing Challenges" area via something called The Race. Care to join? I'm an embarrassment, but it is actually motivating to me. I've got another window open right now with F&SF's submissions guidelines ... and a to-do to go to Staples to get some better paper to print on.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I believe they changed to Analog decades ago.

I wish they'd change it back. Look what "analog" means in the modern world...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
HAHAHA!
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I wish they'd change it back. Look what "analog" means in the modern world...

That bothers me, too! What was wrong with Astounding?

*Edited to correct quote indication.*

[This message has been edited by aspirit (edited September 18, 2008).]

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reagansgame
Member # 8149

- posted      Profile for Reagansgame   Email Reagansgame         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget the writer's digest contest! Winners get professional consult on their writing career... okay, if you were wondering... I'm nervous about entering and I don't want to do it alone.
Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.